AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

english grammar, spelling etc.

Not trying to really defend the fiya chief, half of whose posts I find to be incomprehensible, or to interrupt y'all's discussion, or even particularly to reason with either of you: but just a point to make with regards to standard english.
As far as I'm concerned standard english or patois or creolese (not the same thing Disciple) is all good on here, I can understand all of them. I could see why people who only understand standard english could be annoyed by things they don't quite get. It's all fine by me though (not trying to be a "god" of this website, Disciple - just stating my opinion which I am entitled to as you are to yours).
When people (it seems) deliberately speak in their own private code or use their own catchphrases which only they or their "cliques" know the meaning of it becomes a different story, and (again IN MY OPINION) that has applied to both of you (Andrey Thomas and Disciple).
Spelling, grammar and so on is neither here nor there to me as long as you get your point across. Disciple and others from the so-called "first world" might want to bear in mind that in much of the so called "third world", formal education is neither widely available, nor is it free. In Jamaica specifically a great many people cannot read and write to an adequate level simply because their parents couldn't afford school fees. Many many people leave school in their early teens or don't attend it at all.
Just some points I thought y'all might want to bear in mind; take em or leave em, not going to continue any discussion on this particular thread about it.

Messages In This Thread

BY THE FRUITS INI KNOW THEM
Re: BY THE FRUITS INI KNOW THEM
Speaking English in England.
english grammar, spelling etc.
15 points why Jamaican Patois is a language *LINK*
Is Jamaica Patois a language? *LINK*
Re: Is Jamaica Patois a language? *LINK*
College in Birmingham, UK to teach Patois Course *LINK*
Caribbean British slang
Re: Caribbean British slang
Who was telling you that?

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com