AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Female Nudity *LINK*
In Response To: Female Nudity ()

I do not think it is nudity within itself which is the problem but a certain way we have been conditioned to watch/see. I think it is the same kind of watching which makes people uncomfortable as if someone were undressing you, without your approval thereby making you an objective of their fantasy without your say. I guess the way things are in society it is usually the female who has that experience. I had that feeling once where a female who I did not know gave me "that" look and then it gave me what I think was a little glimpse into what females probably face everyday.

I also remember looking at some photography of nudes and realizing that they never led me to think of sex (and there is nothing inherently wrong with thinking about sex) whereas these rum posters and certain types of presentation of nudity, half nudity and even fully clothed persons are presented to draw attention to the body as something primarily for your pleasure. Many or the majority of images we see of women reduce them to a small collection of stereotypes, this being one. This is the kind of thing that this quote makes me think of.

Here is the photographer I spoke of. think he has an eye which allows him to see and present the female body (most or all of the nudes are female ---which is a whole other issue there) in a manner that shows that there is more to it than the male gaze and male pleasure.

http://www.saddikhaliphoto.com/galleries/pieces-of-peace/

Of course ways of looking/seeing are seen as the norm and the phases and forces that led to the development of that norm is not examined.

Messages In This Thread

Female Nudity
Re: Female Nudity

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com