AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Mashadi Kekana to Hillary Clinton's Alma Mater *LINK*

"For Gabisile Kgwedi, the death of her grandmother after heart complications cemented her decision to become a heart surgeon.

For Bongeka Zuma, it was growing up in a rural area and seeing first-hand how women continued to be oppressed that motivated her to want to do women’s studies at a US liberal arts college.

Both girls are among the first group of matriculants at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls.

The group have set the bar at a 100 percent university pass rate, with all 72 girls having been accepted at South African universities.

Gabisile and Bongeka, who achieved seven and six distinctions respectively, are set on maintaining their high academic standards at their respective universities.

Gabisile, whose home is in Diepsloot, has been accepted to study medicine at UCT.

“I’ve always wanted to do medicine,” she said, adding that her grandmother’s death, which could have been prevented had she received the appropriate healthcare, had served only to strengthen her determination. “When I’m a doctor I want to go into rural areas and focus on providing healthcare to people.”

Bongeka is waiting to hear if she has been accepted at Liberal Arts College in Boston, US. If that doesn’t work out, she will study to become a chartered accountant at UCT.

“Accounting is a historically male-dominated environment. That challenge suits me.”

On pursuing women’s studies, Bongeka, who grew up in Pietermaritzburg, said: “In rural areas, women are still marginalised. When I see how things are back home, it really gets to me.”

Bongeka said that as much as the empowerment of women in SA had improved, there was still a long way to go.

“For people in the rural areas it’s about turning the mindset of a man who thinks that a woman’s job is to have children and stay in the kitchen.” - The Star"

Messages In This Thread

This is my Africa *NM* *LINK*
Re: This is my Africa
Re: This is my Africa *LINK*
Mashadi Kekana to Hillary Clinton's Alma Mater... *LINK*
Re: Mashadi Kekana to Hillary Clinton's Alma Mater *LINK*
Mosunmola "Mo" Abudu *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com