Obeah: Afro-Caribbean Spiritual System

<< < (3/4) > >>

iyah360:
Very good assessment GMan.

preach:
Indulgence instead of compulsion

People often mistake compulsion for indulgence, but there is a world of difference between the two. A compulsion is never created by indulging, but by not being able to indulge. By making something taboo, it only serves to intensify the desire. Everyone likes to do the things they have been told not to. " Forbidden fruit are sweetest. "

Webster's Dictionary defines indulgence thusly: " To give oneself up to; not to restrain or oppose; to give free course to; to gratify by compliance; to yield to." The dictionary definition of compulsion is: The act of compelling or driving by force, physical or moral; constraint of the will; ( compulsory,obligatory )." In other words, indulgence implies choice, whereas compulsion indicates the lack of choice.

When a person has no proper release for his desires they rapidly build up and become compulsions. If everyone had a particular time and place for the purpose of periodically indulging in their personal desires, without fear of embarrasment or reproach, they would be sufficiently released to lead unfrustrated lives in the everyday world. They would be free to plunge headlong into whatever undertaking they might choose instead of going about their  duties halfheartedly, their creative urges frustrated by denying their natural desires.....
The simple fact of the matter is that the very thing which has lead this type of person ( a religious hypocrite or blind faith individual ) to a faith which preaches abstinence, is indulgence. Their compulsive masochism is the reason for choosing a religion which not only advocates self-denial, but praises them for it; and gives them a sacrosanct avenue of expression for their masochistic needs. The more abuse they can stand, the holier they become.

From the Satanic bible, pages 81-82,  p.84 2nd pg.

iyah360:

Indulgence instead of compulsion

People often mistake compulsion for indulgence, but there is a world of difference between the two. A compulsion is never created by indulging, but by not being able to indulge. By making something taboo, it only serves to intensify the desire. Everyone likes to do the things they have been told not to. " Forbidden fruit are sweetest. "

Webster's Dictionary defines indulgence thusly: " To give oneself up to; not to restrain or oppose; to give free course to; to gratify by compliance; to yield to." The dictionary definition of compulsion is: The act of compelling or driving by force, physical or moral; constraint of the will; ( compulsory,obligatory )." In other words, indulgence implies choice, whereas compulsion indicates the lack of choice.

When a person has no proper release for his desires they rapidly build up and become compulsions. If everyone had a particular time and place for the purpose of periodically indulging in their personal desires, without fear of embarrasment or reproach, they would be sufficiently released to lead unfrustrated lives in the everyday world. They would be free to plunge headlong into whatever undertaking they might choose instead of going about their  duties halfheartedly, their creative urges frustrated by denying their natural desires.....
The simple fact of the matter is that the very thing which has lead this type of person ( a religious hypocrite or blind faith individual ) to a faith which preaches abstinence, is indulgence. Their compulsive masochism is the reason for choosing a religion which not only advocates self-denial, but praises them for it; and gives them a sacrosanct avenue of expression for their masochistic needs. The more abuse they can stand, the holier they become.

From the Satanic bible, pages 81-82,  p.84 2nd pg.

This makes sense - for example, years of repression in the Catholic church turned out perverted homosexuals within the priesthood(or this may of been one of their PRIVILEGES as members of the priesthood). This text also sounds like a study of psychology, the powers that be study well psychology and thus they know how and why people think the way they do and thus can MANIPULATE people.

Oshun_Auset:
Gman...I agree with your assesment of the Satanic Bible...I read some of it in a wicca bookstore...the passage just posted was interesting...BUT I read some of what you described in it also. I think that corrupt systems of belief have to be very intelligently stated to trick us into accepting them...Capitalism is an example :-X

I view Christianity and Satanism as 2 sides of the same distorted coin. Much like my view of democrats and republicans...

gman:
Yes I.
The passage Preach quoted is indeed quite reasonable. But I dare say I could leaf through Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' and find SOMETHING reasonable in there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page