White 'Rastas' should reason on racism

(1/8) > >>

Ayinde:
Posted By: Ayinde, Rastafari Speaks Forum
Date: Thursday, 1 May 2003, at 8:24 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Can the Whiteness of Mind be Changed? (ROOTSWOMAN)

"Not to mention the FACT that bleached flour, sugar, etc is DILUTED (weakened) from its original, natural (and healthier) BROWN/RAW beginnings...and cannot be reversed."

I suspect that you were speaking metaphorically and I am adding in case this is not understood.

These products don't have a will and the ability to choose for themselves. But I hope other Whites can show they are different to mindless products that cannot change on their own.

Speaking for myself, I am not writing people off without giving them the opportunity to reason out our differences. I cannot form a hard line position on all Whites because I know a few who are making great strides (although too few and they still have a way to go). But I do see many come on these forums and use the words 'one love' and 'Respect' hoping all would be well by the repetition of those words. That is why I try to keep away from those words unless I am sure the person to whom I am using it really deserves it.

####

Why would more Whites, and some who feel they are White, not want to engage a reasoning on a Rasta setting to acknowledge that racism exist and to tell us if they see it as a serious problem worth addressing?

Is it not a problem for them?

How can they embrace Rastafari, in and amongst Black people and not want us to seriously address this issue?

How could people speak about ‘one love’, Respect, and all the other nice sounding words and not want to put this respect and love to the test?

Could it be that some would like to get involved but are afraid?

Could it be that they really have never given it serious thought?

Could it be that they have taken the position that it cannot be resolved therefore there is no reason to discuss it?

Do they expect Africans to embrace them with 'one love' without proof that 'one love' this time does not mean enslavement, exploitation and another marketing strategy?

Should we conclude that most Whites amongst us are simply not interested in the concerns of the more informed Africans?

Or is it that an issue is only relevant when Whites feel to put it on the table?

Should we all stop the race talk and only listen to reggae music and smoke weed, while some white are using Rastafari to build businesses and promote hypocrisy?

Posted By: ROOTSWOMAN, Rastafari Speaks Forum
Date: Friday, 2 May 2003, at 4:24 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Can the Whiteness of Mind be Changed? (Ayinde)

"Why would more Whites, and some who feel they are White, not want to engage a reasoning on a Rasta setting to acknowledge that racism exist and to tell us if they see it as a serious problem worth addressing? Is it not a problem for them?"

How can one truly OVERSTAND something without direct EXPERIENCE? One may sympathize…one may empathize…but unless you walk in the shoes of another, you’ll never really overstand to a FULLNESS what that other person’s DAILY experience/reality is. When you are part of a collective who, generally speaking, receives "carte blanche" (white card) or WHITE SKIN PRIVILEDGE, how can one be expected to overstand the AFRIKAN EXPERIENCE of oppression under that collective system/order/culture?

"How can they embrace Rastafari, in and amongst Black people and not want us to seriously address this issue?"

Because it forces them to look deeeeeeep within the very recesses of their MENTAL DNA, psyche, natures and historical patterns, which are but a reflection of their cultural "ASILI" (seed). It is often too horrific to have to look in the mirror and realize you represent the very image of a people who have historically proven to act in very BEASTLY fashion (as opposed to GODLY). It is often much easier to bury your head in the sand, while repeating the "mantra" ONE LOVE…ONE LOVE…ONE LOVE…and not being part of a people who experience the opposite of "one love" on a daily basis. Their "one love" concept is an ANESTHETIC they use to prevent from FEELING the deeds of their ancestors, as well as to keep us mentally enslaved and "in our place".

"How could people speak about 'one love', Respect, and all the other nice sounding words and not want to put this respect and love to the test?"

Coz its easier to pontificate than to come forward with ACTION.

"Could it be that some would like to get involved but are afraid?"

Fear is a negative concept. It is FEAR of genetic annialation, which is the essence of their New World Order and historical pattern. Fear of the "wrath of God" for the wicked deeds imposed on ALL OTHER PEOPLES OF THE EARTH. Fear of Judgment from the Creator for the abuse of His/Her Creation and Children.

FEAR is the root of RACISM!

"Could it be that they really have never given it serious thought? "

Perhaps…but what is thought without action? It is nothing by intellectual masturbation.

"Could it be that they have taken the position that it cannot be resolved therefore there is no reason to discuss it? "

How does one begin to take out tiny grains of sand imbedded in sand?

"Do they expect Africans to embrace them with 'one love' without proof that 'one love' this time does not mean enslavement, exploitation and another marketing strategy?"

YES. History speaks for itself.

"Should we conclude that most Whites amongst us are simply not interested in the concerns of the more informed Africans? "

We can never really make blanket statements or generalizations, but based upon HISTORICAL PATTERN and the present day order…. I would say that the "concerns of more informed Africans" FORCES them to look within (and their past/ancestors), which is most uncomfortable and difficult for many (not all)

"Or is it that an issue is only relevant when Whites feel to put it on the table?"

Again, history speaks for itself. If whites present it…it must be "right". If "the more informed Africans" present it…it is "angry and militant". This addresses the issue of PSHYCHOLOGICAL racism imbedded DEEPLY in the minds of many. If its white…its right. If it’s brown, don’t’ stick around. If its Black…STAY BACK.

"Should we all stop the race talk and only listen to reggae music and smoke weed, while some white are using Rastafari to build businesses and promote hypocrisy? "

Perhaps this is the "master plan" disguised behind ASSIMILATION? Behind all the "one love", "can’t we all just get along" thing, hasn’t Europe proven to us that under all his talk of "universal" love is ECONOMIC EXPLOITATION? Some Africans say, 'The white missionaries came. They gave us the Bible, but they took our land.'"

Brothah Ayinde, give thanks for the questions/reasonings. Let me reiterate that I am speaking in GENERAL terms and not making blanket statements. But I must repeat this again and again. When we are discussing the European psyche/nature/history, we are addressing the COLLECTIVE deeds, not the individual.

ROOTS

Ayinde:
Re: Resistance...., Rastafari Speaks Board
Posted By: Iyabinghi Ashanti Zebulun
Date: Thursday, 1 May 2003, at 7:50 p.m.

Again in light of all the discussions on race that presently pervades this board, I am going to address these BURNING questions to all caucasians of Rastafari. Rootsie, untojah, Freespirit, Sister Iriejah and others who know themselves need not worry, as on several occasions you have expertly addressed this which makes the I's exempt from these questions. Now:

CAN YOU OVERSTAND THE KNEE JERK RESISTANCE OF AFRIKANS TO YOUR PRESENCE IN THE MIDST OF THIS PRO-BLACK, BLACK NATIONALIST, PANAFRIKANIST AND BLACK SPIRITUALIST MOVEMENT?

Honestly speaking do you truly overstand, why there exist distrust of your intentions and motives?

Do you overstand why it is that you are severely questioned on all aspect of this livity, especially when you step into our village and proclaim to tell us how to run it?

Do you truly overstand the immediate resistance?

Do you overstand the reasons why you cannot lead this movement?

Do you overstand that even if I'n'I black sistrens and brethrens, even when wrong in their approach, still has the right to question your authenticity, your motivation, your presence?

Do you overstand that it is an outright insult to I'n'I, when you try to define this livity, fixing it to meet your needs, dictating to I'n'I about this Afrikan enlightenment that I'n'I have given to the world?

Do you truly overstand the root of this BLACK MOVEMENT and what it truly signifies to I'n'I as a people?

Do you truly overstand what I as a people collectively have gone through, first being BLACK and then being RASTA?

Do you truly sight this as a BLACK MOVEMENT and that platiudes of one love and quoting from Haile Sellassie(the BLACK GOD, as perceived by many of I sistren and brethren), to teach I people about Rastafari, that it does not sit well with I'n'I?

Do you realize that when you do that, that you are overstepping your boundaries as a caucasian in the midst of this BLACK MOVEMENT?

Do you realize that some of your attitudes immediately reminds I'n'I of your ancestors wickedness toward I people?

Do you realize the extent of the pain I'n'I feel for what your ancestors has done and is still doing to I'n'I people?

Do you sit and ponder on these things before you embrace this BLACK COVENANT? Do you realize that I'n'I have the RIGHT(!) to question your motives?

Will you give credence to those RIGHTS and not preach to I about peace and one love?

As if I'n'I have no idea what that means. Who is the real SHAMAN/RASTAMAN here?

It was I who first said "peace and love" even in the face of BLACK AND WHITE DOWNPRESSORS!

HOW CAN YOU TEACH I TO KNOW, WHEN YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW HALF THE THINGS I KNOW?

HOW CAN YOU TELL I RACE DOESN'T MATTER?

DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT EVEN A STATEMENT AS THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES ABOUT WHERE YOUR MIND AND HEART IS?

DO YOU REALIZE THAT SUBLIMINALLY YOU ARE PERPETRATING THE VERY SAME INTENTIONS YOUR ANCESTORS HAD AGAINST I'N'I PEOPLE?

WITH THE BIBLE IN THEIR HANDS, THEY TAUGHT I'N'I TO PRAY WITH OUR EYES CLOSE AND BY THE TIME WE OPENED THEM, THEY HAD OUR LAND! IT IS THE SAME THING AS SAYING RASTAFARI IS JUST A ONE LOVE MOVEMENT AND THAT JAH DOESN'T SEE COLOUR ONLY THE HEART. DON'T YOU THINK I'N'I ALSO KNOW THIS BUT THAT THIS IS A BLACK MOVEMENT BORN OF A PEOPLE'S DOWNPRESSION? OUT OF THIS DOWNPRESSION AROSE RASTAFARI. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE IT OTHERWISE? WHY????????????

ANSWER I'N'I CLEARLY WITHOUT TAKING THIS PERSONAL. ANSWER I'N'I IN TRUTH AND LIGHT. ANSWER I'N'I FROM THE HEART SINCE THAT IS WHAT JAH SEES.

BLESSED HEART OF LOVE! RASTAFARI ONE BLACK LOVE!

Check the responses on the Rastafari Speaks Board

Ras Mandingo:
Give Thanks for your words Ayinde, really!!!

I guess white people can see a reflection of what their ancestor did in words and attitudes like your. Did is very nice. This stimulates the perception. I feel is not possible for a white person to see all that you discribed in fullness, as the opressed, because he never was one. But he can feel the refelction and the consequences of what the ancestors did and feel and live againg all the agression and evil attitude. Feeling this again, and in a strong way, with the help of such honest, strong, Kingly and decent people, as a karmic treatment. One can work out a lot of blocked energies inside one never even thought about.

Sure the race topic is important, because is a reality. I feel that every topic that disturbs a group of people and disturbs the energies creating bad vibes MUST be reasoned UNTIL ALL PEOPLE FEEL RELIEVED AAND CAN WORK DIFFERENT ATTITUDE AS THE RESULT OF REALLY HONEST AND LIBERATING REASONING.

Speaking for myself, I was raised by two black women, as my parents were always travelling and didn't have much contact with them.

Living my childhood in the countryside, most of my collegues were black and brown. I was never exposed to agressive insults related to the color of my collegues/friends skin. For me they just had different tons of color, but wasn't something I would carer to observe.

Going to school was when I realized that there were really less people from other races (blacks and Indians). Also, there was still no race debate in the schools and the only side of history told was the colonialist one. Now this is changed. In this new government, Lula has created a Minister for the equality of races, were there are lots of reparation movements happening: legally recognizing the lands of the quilombos, teaching the african and the Indian side of the
story in the school, opening more space in the universities for black people.

My girlfriend is black and she was sauing to me two sentences that discribe the feeling towards Africans in brasil, still:

"A Black man standing still is a suspect, and running is a criminal".

"A poor white  man is black, a rich black man is white".

In my view, most white people really don't care (and don't wnat to know) about race story, and in Brasil there's tendency to say it's a non racist country, but still find strange to see a black man/woman with money for example. So, still there's a feeling that black people are servents. And minimum salaries and police force are just the modern ways to keep slavery going on.

All your questions are worth of credit, them all go right into the point. And most white people probably didn't even think about that because they didn't feel it in their skins, see!!!

Well, that's what I have for now, I hope I could help developing this reasoning.

Mandingo.

Ras Mandingo:
I forgot to mention:

There's a similar erasoning in Brasil regarding Capoeira. Capoeira is an african art and was introduced in Brasil by Congo-Mende Africans.

Capoeira was originally only for the black people.

Now Capoeira is for "everyone" and where is this leading it?

I remember a black friend asking to a Regional Master about the africanicity in Capoeira and the Master would say: don't worry about beeing black, be a man. Now, this are the same people who now want to say that capoeira is a brasilian art, from the afro-brasilian (?).

In Angola style one can see the principles and direction towards african livity, eventhought it's open to all people, but the focus, the destiny is african liberation, and all good heart people is welcomed to join.

In Regional, CApoeira is just nice kiks, you see. They jsut got the art to make it a product, and want to go abroad to "spread the culture" when they just want to make money.

I think they are very valid questions?

What white people look for in Rasta?

How is white people going to behave in Rasta?

What is white people going to do with Rasta livity?

Do they want to correct/reparete ancestral sins? Do they search for becoming better human beeings? Or they just want to have a good time, or to find another product to sell?

Probably, white people have to pass through a period of feeling INFERIOR, so that they can compensate so much superiority feeling.

Give thanks to JAH for the possibility of beeing here,

Mandingo.

Bantu_Kelani:
Greetings Dear Bethren and Sistren,

I have alos noticed that white "Rastas" tend to avoid racial discrimination topics. I questionned a white "rasta" the other day about that and what was his stance about it he jiust completly ignored my question but did not forget to tell me to avoid reading too much progressive and pro-black materials. What this all about? They can say all they want that they are "rastas" but the truth is, they are FIRST of all whites and protectors of their privilege.

May the Light of Jah save us ALL!

SisKelani-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page