Female genital mutilation

<< < (2/3) > >>

NB:
Thanks so much for this post, it's an issue which girls are confronting on a daily basis, and peoples' awareness is key to ending this practice.  Female Genital Mutilation(FGM) is something I'd never given much thought until I married an Ethiopian woman.  By the grace of her mother, who certainly endured FGM, my wife was spared the horror of this practice.  When I was first getting to know the woman that is now my wife I asked if she had been "cut," or not, her answer was "No, but if you want me cut I can have it done."  You can't imagine how horror stricken I was by this comment.  To serve your man is culturally what a good ethiopian girl is supposed to do and she still harbors feelings of being an outsider simply because she wasn't cut.  My wife does not have a single female friend or family member, that she knows of, that has not been cut.  The reasons for FGM are basically rooted in male domination, and Ethiopia is a very male dominated society, even with a history of some very extraordinary female rulers.  Women in Ethiopia basically stand on two extremes of the spectrum, meaning those who are cut and those who aren't.  Those who are cut are expected to be quiet and subserviant, get married take care of the babies and the husband.  Those who aren't cut are automatically associated with prostitution, and Ethiopia has a very noticable prostitution culture.  My wife has struggled with this all her life, in that she stands in the middle of the spectrum, certainly not a prostitute, but retaining all the natural feelings that any woman who hasn't suffered from FGM would have.  I think a lot of the reasons for her having been able to find comfort in a man from the west were that she learned quickly that I, due to my culture, am very open to her being who ever she is or wants to be; whereas conformity is the rule in the average Ethiopian woman's life.  FGM in Ethiopia is a part of Muslim cutlure and Orthodox Christian culture, that makes up about 90% of the population.  I met an american obstetrician in Ethiopia who told me shocking statistics concerning deaths of pregnant women in labor, who had been subjected to FGM.  Almost all women who have been cut will have to get a cesarian section to ensure her and her baby's lives.  Many FGM's are done to a group of young women one after the other.  In a day and age where many Ethiopian children are born with the A.I.D.s virus it is easily spread when the same intrument is used on different girls one after the other.  If feel like I could go on forever about the horrors of FGM, but it's starting to make me upset, so let me conclude.  Ethiopia is the kingdom of JAH, and it is JAH who gave humans the ability to make this kingdom a truly righteous place.  I see the battle of good and evil in so many aspects of life.  It is only through proper education that people the world over will realize that FGM is evil and must be stopped.  Thanks again for bringing attention to this subject, and I strongly urge anyone who reads this thread to simply tell someone else about it, as awareness is key to ending this practice.
             Selam

Poetic_Princess:
FGM Row: Girls Still Out of Class

Standard Correspondent May 18, 2004
Nairobi

Fifty-seven girls who escaped from their homes to avoid undergoing the female genital mutilation risk dropping out of school after their parents refused to pay their school fees.

The girls are part of the 17, who in 2002 moved to court and obtained orders restraining their parents from subjecting them to the rite.

The girls who were in the headlines last year after they trekked for over 60 km to seek refuge at the offices of the Centre for Human Rights and Democracy based in Eldoret town after they had been lined-up for FGM rite.

Office of the Vice-President minister Jebii Chebii had intervened and had them returned under police guard to their homes.

Despite this the parents were determined to have the girls circumcised forcing them to flee their homes.

They sought refuge at the African Inland Church, Mission College in Eldoret town from where they were admitted to the schools.

According to CHRD director, Mr Ken Wafula, Sh300,000 is required to offset their fees arrears.

Wafula yesterday made a passionate appeal to well-wishers to come forward and help the girls.

He called on minister George Saitoti to honour the commitment that the Ministry of Education would sponsor the girls to any level of their education pursuits.

It is alleged that the Government paid fees for four of the girls who had joined St Monica's Secondary School.

preach:
I was familiar with the practice of FGM but after reading Alice Walker's, Possessing The Secret of Joy, I became aware of not only the physical damage it does but the psychological and emotional scar that it leaves. I commend NB and wish him and his wife well.
one love.

helena:
If you are interested, there is an excellent website for an African woman led charity that deals with research and raising awareness of FGM. My friend used to work there and the work they do is important and needs supporting.

http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/

One Love,

Helena

nubianqueenx:
this was a really intresting topic, excuse me replying 120 late but i feel that this is just another way of keeping woman supressed and not allowing them freedom of choice but inclining them to nothing but mere servants to men

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page