Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Singer Azealia Banks starts promoting skin bleaching
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Singer Azealia Banks starts promoting skin bleaching  (Read 7287 times)
mdw-ntr

« on: June 22, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »

“Seriously… The treatment I get for being a dark skinned woman just makes me want to lay down and die sometime… I don’t care what anyone says: men, in general, despise dark skinned women.” - Azealia Banks on her decision to start bleaching her skin.

one writer commented: "We are human beings. Sometimes our humanity gets the best of us, and we give into the things that reflect what’s deep inside. The pressure from society that dark-skinned women feel to change is strong; so strong that too many women are acting on the notion. In Jamaica, bleaching your skin is a thing. It has become a growing problem because people believe that they are “fixing” themselves. An individual who goes to these lengths to be happy with themselves has a warped psyche. We have society first, then ourselves to blame for it."

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/06/azealia-banks-confirms-bleaching-her-skin-with-controversial-whitenicious-products/

I have read up on Azealia Banks and she is quite a controversial character but coupled with her weirder comments she also makes quite insightful statements about society and the entertainment industry. She has mentioned her dark skin and her struggle with it quite a few times. In this case, I feel she has caved to the pressure. It's not easy as the psyche can take a hammering from non-acceptance based on dark skin colour. She is quite right, after having the phenomenon pointed out to me a few years ago, I have sat back and observed politically and socially "conscious" men consistently marry and date lighter women than themselves. It is not logically feasible that every one happens to randomly be attracted to only women lighter than them. I will continue to sit back and observe...if these are the people who are supposedly the alternative, I would hate to see what the conventional individuals look like. Another one bites the dust.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: