Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25515 Posts in 9752 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 56 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Leanna (Moderator: Leanna)
| | |-+  How can a person ever seek to justify rape ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How can a person ever seek to justify rape ?  (Read 2653 times)
Historysoul

« on: October 28, 2016, 02:18:15 AM »

This is a very thought provoking issue that has plagued my mind.Sitting in class one afternoon and my sociology teacher and myself as well as some other like minded students got into an arguement about the whole issue of rape .What was and still is very provoking to me is that my teacher became very vocal in her questionable view that the way that women in today'society(she was very specific to mention Caribbean soicety )dress and carry about themselves can lead to rape.However,she goes further to state that men are visual beings and by women dressing in a certain manner puts certain sexual and suggestive thoughts into their minds and then when rape occurs these same women want to know why .Her views started a big debate in our class,myself being very assertive about my viewpoint against rape and the fact that it cannot be justified despite how a woman may choose to dress and even carry about herself.My biggest concern was that here,a teacher ,more importantly a woman in today's
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »

Hi,

Finish this story when you have some time. It sounds like fuel for useful discussions given that many people think like her.
Historysoul

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:50 AM »

This is a very thought provoking issue that has plagued my mind.Sitting in class one afternoon and my sociology teacher and myself as well as some other like minded students got into an arguement about the whole issue of rape .What was and still is very provoking to me is that my teacher became very vocal in her questionable view that the way that women in today'society(she was very specific to mention Caribbean soicety )dress and carry about themselves can lead to rape.However,she goes further to state that men are visual beings and by women dressing in a certain manner puts certain sexual and suggestive thoughts into their minds and then when rape occurs these same women want to know why .Her views started a big debate in our class,myself being very assertive about my viewpoint against rape and the fact that it cannot be justified despite how a woman may choose to dress and even carry about herself.My biggest concern was that here,a teacher ,more importantly a woman in today's society was seeking to actually justify this act.What is very interesting about the whole "blame game " with my teacher as well as the few other students who sided with her is the fact that she does not wish to comprehend that rape is not just purely driven by sexual needs but also by the need of some men to assert their dominace in a patriarchcal society that places so much emphasis on masculinity.After that whole debate in class ,the whole issue about rape and even the way that women have been viewed in contemporary society is very troubling and puzzling for me  amd thus has led me to question many things in my life as a female.For instance the manner in which I choose to dress,if that can actually be seen as me putting vice thoughts into some men's head therefore encouraging myself to become a victim.
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »

A related point of view which was in the media and online discussions earlier this year.

http://bossip.com/1302045/erykah-badu-high-school-girls-need-to-lower-their-skirts-so-teachers-dont-get-aroused/

Erykah Badu Comments On Teachers Being Attracted To Female Students

Erykah Badu walked the fine line of slut-shaming and victim blaming Monday night with a couple of tweets about how highschool girls should dress. The Hotep queen said it’s natural for men to be attracted to women of “childbearing” age and that girls should be aware of what they wear.

There was an article ruling that high school girls lower their skirts so male teachers are not distracted. I agreed because I am aware that we live in a sex l-driven society. It is everyone’s, male and female’s, responsibility to protect young ladies. One way to protect youth is to remind them we are all sexual in nature and as they grow and develop it is natural to attract men. It is not them who is doing anything wrong by being beautiful and attractive but with such imbalance in our society it is smart to be aware and awake. Men and women both go thru cycles of arousal. Men automatically are attracted to women of childbearing age.

I want my daughters to understand this. I want them to be themselves and wear what they like, yet be aware. Not ignore our differences. Males should be taught to be responsible for their actions from childhood. It’s not ok to “prey” on young women. But do I think it is unnatural for a heterosexual male 2b attracted to a young woman in a revealing skirt? No. I think it is his nature.

Consequently, we must all be aware and responsible. We must protect our young women. We must teach our young men. If I had a school I would make sure that the uniform skirt length was a nice knee length. It is fair to everyone. Young women you are beautiful. Young men you are beautiful. Protect one another.
leslie
Leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

Historysoul, the more we grow up, the more we realise that those who are placed in positions to teach and guide us are often flawed and do not have everything figured out. That being said, I also know that teachers often play devil’s advocate in order to spark debate. Most times though, their views on things like sex and morality are tainted by their Westernised, Judeo-Christian socialization.

Rape culture in both western and non-western cultures is nothing new, but linking the way some females dress to risking sexual violence is a relatively modern way to attempt to keep them subjugated and controlled. Rape, especially of young adult females and children has taken place/takes place in several societies either as part of the cost of war, by males of high position and influence who wish to exercise their control, or by those with little authority in their everyday lives who wish to assert their dominance over someone they regard as even lesser than they. In Islamic societies, for example, where females are forced to cover their bodies, the way that they dress can hardly be considered a factor in sexual abuse. Conversely, in societies where people may be hardly dressed at all, the sight of a naked body would be so nomalised that if rape does occur, then dress would scarcely be a factor. As far as I know though, rape culture may not be as pervasive in those societies as it is in modern, Western societies, or before Western/Arabic influence.

Unfortunately, today, people are taught to believe that the way some females dress is to blame for some males violating them. This is nonsensical of course; as you have rightly pointed out, it is another way in which some males seek to abuse their perceived power over females. Females using the argument that they are responsible for their rape is not that surprising either. The brainwashing does not go one way, both males and females have to “agree” to some extent, or at least surrender their beliefs due to fear, for negative conditioning to work.

In the Caribbean, for the most part, females often do dress in revealing ways…especially around Carnival or when going to fetes etc. As far as I have observed, although some males can get overly excited or touchy-feely, most just watch lustfully without touching, or may voice some comment or the other, while others may just look and move on. And, if some females do not like some weird response or an unwanted touch they would either move away, watch the guy ‘bad-eye’ or give him a tongue lashing. It is a kind of game almost, as males ARE unfortunately conditioned to respond that way and females ARE conditioned that if they dress in certain ways that that would elicit male attention. It would be naive to think otherwise. People should dress as they please but must also be aware that many have bought into poor social conditioning and so people should still exercise caution whatever they decide.
Historysoul

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 01:56:07 AM »

Leslie ,I totally understand what you are saying and I agree with you.What you are saying is further solidifying my point and giving me even clearer insight into my whole thoughts about the issue."It would be naive to think otherwise. People should dress as they please but must also be aware that many have bought into poor social conditioning and so people should still exercise caution whatever they decide."Yes ,yes and yes I totally like your flow because unlike many people in today's society you are being realistic in your reasoning and I like where you say that people should exercise caution whatever they decide .I think it goes right back to not just socialization but more specifically gender socialization in society as a whole.
Dani37
Dani

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:44 AM »

What disturbs me about the teacher's viewpoint of what cause men to rape, is her attributing behaviours of socialization (nurture) to it being a 'hardwiring' (nature) of men. If that were the case then as Leanna indicated that position would be hard to defend when considering men in Islamic countries raping and men in social groups where very little clothes being the norm having a negligible sexual violence occurrence. This excuse 'it is a man/woman's nature' seems to be applied as a plaster for any behaviour that doesn't neatly fit into the Abrahamic frame because either their god, figurehead or hero is accused of it therefore it wasn't their conscious decision to do a thing that another would be scorned or ridiculed for, they are given the 'out' of the unyielding, wayward flesh'.

As a teacher of Sociology i would hope that she was indeed playing the Devil's Advocate instead of excusing poor social training as a natural occurrence
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: