Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25515 Posts in 9752 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 56 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Kiwumulo Nakandi Galabuzi (Moderator: Nakandi)
| | |-+  Phenotype discrimination
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Phenotype discrimination  (Read 1166 times)
Nakandi

« on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »

Peace family,

About three years ago I reached a liberating realization - a natural appearance was the most comfortable and easiest look there was for me. I gave up high heels, horse tails (hair extensions), tight clothes and gradually gave up all kinds of dust (make-up). I soon discovered that a natural appearance almost made me invisible. I disregarded that feeling for when I looked in the mirror, I saw the faces of the people who brought me here. I saw men and women. In that moment my body was the carrier of the non-material me. In that moment I had no questions, worries or wishes.

I was recently walking with two sisters. Both tall. One very light skinned and the other darker in complexion. She could play stand-in for model Naomi Campbell. There we were walking down a street occupied by males. In this patriarchal consciousness it goes without saying that they started blessing us (shouting) with brutal poetry (harassment). At least that is what I thought. I thought they were ''blessing'' us. To my disappointment, no blessings were sent my way. You see, I am a short, slim, dark skinned female with short natural hair. I do not have the behind that a black woman is too often seen attached to, nor do I have facial features that are promoted on social networks.

Now, I am used to being invisible in media and quite frankly I am not bothered since the media seeks to destroy us. Being openly invisible to our own people like that was a new experience. I was hurt by it. Further more, I did not like myself very much for desiring external acknowledgment. (Sexual harassment to be accurate.)

I became quiet for a while as I drifted off with my thoughts. When I came back to what was going on, I noticed that I became more critical towards the sisters I was walking with. There was something off in the way I was acting towards them. Today I am learning that my rejection affected the way I experienced my sisters after the incidence. It makes me wonder how much hostility I have served sisters in the past based on rejection from males. It also makes me wonder why my body is not enough to me the way it is. Have I taken on the Eurocentric view on aesthetics? Seeing aesthetics as an expression of value? With so many politics on the female body, especially African (black) body, how am I to transcend this?

-Mapenzi
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: