Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Arts & Music (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Jimmy Cliff roars a message of peace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jimmy Cliff roars a message of peace  (Read 19426 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: July 03, 2004, 08:29:47 PM »

June 28, 2004

BYBLOS: Jimmy Cliff reveals bloodshot eyes as he removes diamond shaped sunglasses in the 12th floor Executive Lounge of the Royale Hotel in Dbayeh. At first I think the 56 year-old reggae superstar is flying high, but as he talks in his Jamaican accent (though not Rastafari patois), his words, like his mind, are clear.

He laughs when asked about marijuana: "You know, there's a lot of fire now but no more smoke. There are periods of life you go through, you know, but I have had my fill of herb. I get a good natural high."
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=4&article_id=5661
skankindaddy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »

Yess....I loved Jimmys music at first sight as a teen and I'm a big big fan of him....He inspired me a lot..With a band I had we used to have in our set "I Can See Clarly Now" Which I sung with such a pleasure....He's an exemple for all musician, his music has reached all style of reggae,He's an exemple on how reggae music can combine easy-listening and sweet music with conscious and socially/politically committed lyrics..I'm very happy for him knowing he's in good shape and had a daughter....Thanks for submitting this to InI attention
Ras Mandingo

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 12:04:58 PM »

Greetings Ayinde and give thanks for the link.

The issue of cannabis is always a heavy one.

In relation to rastafari there are some particular and important points.

Jimmy's saying reminds me of something similar that Gilberto Gil said. When asked about a cannabis symbol on the stage3 backgfroung of a presentation where he was showing an album in celebration of Bob Marley, he said domething like (not the exact words):

How could I disconnect Bob from his sacred herb? However, for me, I'm too old for that, I had enough during my youth (he was already the brasilian minister of culture, here).

The question of cannabis and Rasta raises a problem of credibility to the movement, where ganja is prohibited, as long as it keeps like that. Eventhough Cannabis is popular in Rastafari and is a great symbilism of the movement, it doesn't describe all the movement and it doesn't mean that one should smoke it to be a Rasta.

It reminds me also of discussions I used to observe among vegetarians and how they feel superior to people who eat meat Huh

I mean, no one will be better than another because smokes or not cannabis. This should be a personal choice, as drinking alcohol...and if ones feel better in a "natural high" - lovelly; if others apreciate a "non-natural high" what's the matter (as long as they don't interfere in other's issues?

One point, about Rasta and ganja, as I see is that Rastafari is already very descriminated and the usisng of ganja doens't help it.

In other way, isn't Rastafari about truths and rights? Cannabis is illegal acording to human laws, in majority of countries (but not in all, and not illegal in natural laws - as it was "allowed" to exist in creation.

I believe that most people fear it because they ignore it or because they are afraid of finding it useful and feeling like an outsider of society due to the discrimiation it envolves.

Now, to a great number of Rastas it is a main issue to be defended, the "healing of the nations".

Anyway, regarding Jimmy, which I love, it's also true that everything that has a beggining has an end...and to jimmy, as he posted, to keep the fire he doesn't need the smoke anymore, wich is lovelly and would be not inteligent to use something that is not necessary anymore....

Yes, we must keep moving on, life is dynamic and not mechanic.

Moreover, I give thanks for the sharing, as usual Cheesy

Many blessings,

Mandingo

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 07:56:04 AM »

In regards to the marijuana issue and with many more. A dogmatic adherence to ganja as the "wisdom weed" while ignoring one's own personal relationship with it and the ability to see it as a tool that can help or hurt depending on the situation and mindstate - is IMO ridiculous.

Ras Mandingo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:35:01 PM »

I totally agree with your point Iyah360!!!

Any dogmatic perception, regardless of the topic is a problem. Smiley

In essence, nothing is good or bad, it always depend on who is using the tool. We are the ones who make things good or bad.

Life is absolutely relative and we are the ones who create the contexts in your own realities.

Mandingo.

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: