Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Our Beautiful People (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Roots People
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Roots People  (Read 55228 times)
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 06:31:05 PM »

Urban squaler is something distinctly European...so is complete disrespect for mother earth. I'm sure almost everyone on this site is aware of the ancient achievements af Africa...But the slums were in England...and now have been deported around the world....Slums and poverty are not good aspects of western culture, and like you said the masses are what is important. THAT IS WHY WE MUST ORGANIZE! If we are not organized we will not be able to educate each other. THE WESTERN MEDIA WILL NOT DO IT FOR US. They are benefitting off of the misery, disorganization, and ignorance of the masses of African people. Begging them to change the images they portray of us is futile.

Forward to a united Africa!
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 04:07:21 AM »

A valuable lesson I have learned is that THE WAY an idea is presented is just as important as the idea. I look at the roots people of Africa, and through my research have learned that it is from these people that the WORLD owes the origins of the worlds religion, culture and civilization. These two things(the image AND the HISTORY)perhaps should be presented TOGETHER to the prejudiced western audience in order to destroy inherent illusions of superiority complex. As a Caucasian American, it was THIS COMBINATION THAT TRUELY OPENED MY EYES AWAY FROM A RACIST UPBRINGING and into OVERstanding. This of course involved much self work and challenging assumptions that are fostered from childhood which I will admit is EXTREMELY hard for Caucasian people to do (as should be obvious from the many posts on this site). BUT . . . it IS POSSIBLE . . . perhaps it is in the best interest for us together to develop an EFFECTIVE educational method to deal with these problems.

For example:

It is interesting to study some of the ideas of the Mbuti of the Ituri forest . .. they say that they have deliberately chosen to live simply for the mere fact they already KNOW what the outcome of misguided civilization leads to . . . destruction, corruption and death -- (this is one of the most advanced conclusions to ever be reached by human beings . . . yet from a western eye, all we see is the "backwardness" of these people) -- it is from this perspective that they developed one of the most advanced ethical systems ever devised and more importantly PRACTICED. It is from this code of ethics that sprang the 42 negative confessions of the Egyptians which was co-opted into the 10 commandments of the "Jews".

So now, if one looks at the apparent simplicity of these people JUXTOPOSED with a TRUE HISTORY lesson, the picture becomes clear . . . this can do MUCH to defuse racism within the individual confronted with this presentation.

It is nice to read a few whites thinking so well. Respect Iyah360.  

Bantu Kelani.

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2004, 04:40:49 AM »

The mere fact that you communicate in English and then French too...is the Ultimate of Western Mindset Characteristic.

English, Spanish and French are the most spoken languages in the world due only to their colonialist cultural history. I have beef using them but I do so as a way to "infiltrate from within". I utilize them to educate and communicate with other Blacks, and when the brainwashing of the Black race will be removed, Black African Nations and Black people will ultimately revive the use of our African languages such as Swahili, Yoruba or Zulu. In the meantime I comply with these colonialists languages as an intersect commodity.

Also, I find it amazing with the valuable information that you have about your people, you still have this asinine sentiment of embarrassment and shame about roots native Blacks. You claim to understand the concepts of Afrocentric culture and history that do or do not extend to Caucasians, but it's apparent you do not even have a clue. You are too busy embracing denial and a will of sheer appreciation of the oppressors, which is not going to happen. Are you proud of our natives' traditional portrayals and communities? Or are you not? Make up your mind, for you are vacillating obsessed with the oppressors principles. Who cares what westernized/brainwashed people think? The Caucasians and Uncle Toms approbation only arise when we are aligned with their selfish agenda, that -YOU KNOW- does not represent the full aspiration of THE GREAT MAJORITY OF THE BLACKS POOR who are frequently destroyed by their oppressive schemes and regimes polished by a democratic technique of facade. Believe it, a comprehensive industrial and urban renaissance will never occur until the mind and thinking of the privileged and most successful Blacks, specially those living in the US and Europe, are free from the psychological control of White people.
It is pitiable you do not feel the need to give the struggle a radical orientation. You do not see that a Nationalistic focus (the very same way all people operate to impose and maintain their religious and cultural traditions) will be the tool for the urban, industrial, financial and scientific rebirth of Africa and the Black race worldwide. The need for Afro-centered socio-economic infrastructures against the White ones of the US and Europe will be efficient and effective to counteract the methods employed by these superpowers which are completely RACIST in character. Thereupon their standards, cultures, religions and judgments ought to be rejected! But the erudition, technology and history of the African Blacks ought to return to suit the modern age. As before the invasions when Africa was at her Zenith , deciding for self is but the noble path of self-knowledge and self-determination, which we ought to remake to reestablish our development. Never be proud to be loyal to the oppressors. Only be proud of how resilient a fair number of our people have overcome despite of economical and cultural genocide placed in their way. And that I will always be proud as MANY Black African sholars and warriors on this message board and in the world.

Bantu Kelani.

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Kwegan

Roots

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 11:08:31 AM »

Recognize that i cannot be embarrassed of what i who i am.
Recognize that it is physically impossible that i am ashamed of my people.
Recognize that who i am is who my people are
and recognize that i CAN NEVER NEVER be Embarrassed of my People.

I am starting to wonder whether you are projecting your own insecurities unto me.

Because NEVER did i say i was embarrassed. You half assed attempt to read me is pitiful to say the least.

You don't know me, yet you wanna psychoanalyze me from a misunderstanding that i have repeatedly pointed out to you is not my judgment but the judge of our own people that i say is effected by the continuous presentation of Africa in a certain light.

I tell you this because i have been there as a youth, i tell you this because i was raised in the West, and i know how we are breed to think, i tell you THIS BECAUSE IT MATTERS what we see of Africa. And if you say it doesn't matter, you are lying to yourself.

I am not going to defend myself to you...I don't have to.
That you accuse me of embracing Western Society is extremely hurtful and hateful and would win anyone who told me that to my face a deck in their jaw.

You are limiting Africa with your Limited idea of What Africa is. You are limiting our people with your ideas of what an African is. The bottom line is that you are no more African than I am...and you do not love my people more than i do.

We are in a Western Mindset...like you must use Western Language to communicate...We are dealing in a Western Context there for we communicate in a Western Context to our people that are not dealing in an African Context...on order that we bring the gap...not only with our people outside of AFrica but with our people outside of Africa but still live in Africa.

It is a Translation process...Because our people are speaking Western psychologically mentally and socially. that is all that i am saying.

The needs to be a rebuilding of bonds, and bridges. We cannot step to the roof before we lay down a foundation.

And certain messages are sent to our brain when we see a images...we associate adjectives to pictures. There is an overwhelming inappreciativeness for Africa in general among our own people...why do you think that that is?

The continuous repetition of images effect how we see things and how we believe. AGAIN let me state that the negligence of American Society to present Africa (Apart form South Africa-but thats another story) as a large organized civilization is a PROBLEM...We deal withing a Western context here ONLY in a Western Context and when you say Tribe to the Average African American there is an Inferiority associated to the images drawn...when we say Civilization, or Civilized or City, or Town...the images associated to those words are positive.

This is dealing in a Western Context now, so stay with me....these paradigms do not exist outside of the twisted west...but we are dealing with our people within that paradigm. You who have elevated from that view...cannot dictate to someone else how to see things, you bring them to your level by propelling their own mental journey.

The truth is most of Africans here do not first see themselves as Africans, and they ain't journeying no where.

You can't Shout at people to get them to see what you see, you can't bang it in their heads, or call them names or accuse them of being stupid and loving white and hating themselves...even if it is true. Cause they will automatically shut down, and both of you become defensice.(i learnt that the hard way) You lift them in a round about manner.

Even Africans in Africa will look down on some of those pictures....AND THIS IS A FACT...so how can you get someone to appreciate what you see as beautiful, when one they ain't speaking in your language and Two both of you are operating within a limited space...one of you gotta be free flowing to be able to transport the other.
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2004, 02:07:57 PM »

It is interesting to study some of the ideas of the Mbuti of the Ituri forest . .. they say that they have deliberately chosen to live simply for the mere fact they already KNOW what the outcome of misguided civilization leads to . . . destruction, corruption and death -- (this is one of the most advanced conclusions to ever be reached by human beings . . . yet from a western eye, all we see is the "backwardness" of these people) -- it is from this perspective that they developed one of the most advanced ethical systems ever devised and more importantly PRACTICED.

I'd like to read more about these people, what books are out there that talk about there culture and philosophy?
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 02:21:54 PM »

And certain messages are sent to our brain when we see a images...we associate adjectives to pictures. There is an overwhelming inappreciativeness for Africa in general among our own people...why do you think that that is?

The continuous repetition of images effect how we see things and how we believe.

I agree that the continuous reptition of images about Africa affects how one thinks of our people but don't you think that the peoples ideas need to change rather then the depiction of some Africans. You had a problem with the pic of the little girl wrapped in Kente, I thought that was a cute pic of a Ghanaian/Krobo girl. It's a ceremony and the book is called African ceremony, if people are truly stupid enough to believe that all little girls in Ghana are dressed like that on a daily basis then they're ignorant. How else can we show a traditional African ceremony in a different environment?

The peoples ignorance needs altering then some of the pics. Theres no doubt in my mind that there are a lot of depictions of Africa that needs serious changing. I can agree that there probably needs to be an explanation of whats going on however that African Ceremony book gives detailed explanations of every picture.
Kwegan

Roots

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 04:55:19 PM »

When did i tell you that i had a problem with the picture of the Two twins.

I am starting to believe that Some of you are clouded by your own prejudices.

When did i say there was something wrong with that pic prince....? I don't know where you get these ideas from...i had a problem with them...i didn't even reply to the thread after you posted them....i don't appreciate being lied on, an i wonder at the specific reason for doing so.

Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 05:27:38 PM »

When did i tell you that i had a problem with the picture of the Two twins.

I am starting to believe that Some of you are clouded by your own prejudices.

When did i say there was something wrong with that pic prince....? I don't know where you get these ideas from...i had a problem with them...i didn't even reply to the thread after you posted them....i don't appreciate being lied on, an i wonder at the specific reason for doing so.

You're seeing more into it then there really is. There is no specific reason for it besides a misunderstanding. Ok you didn't have a problem with the pic however you felt that the images were of rural Africa thus perpetuating predjudice of Africa.

The book is called African ceremonies, how else can we depict African ceremonies out of it's natural element? If people are ignorant enough to look at a book on ceremonies and believe that is the way all of Africa is that is there stupidity. They need much more changing then the book.
Kwegan

Roots

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 05:48:05 PM »

Excuse me But My Authentic Africa is not only in the Villages.
Ceremonies do not only take place in the villages. Lets get that straight.

So after you exxagerated and put extra words into my comment, do you feel better now???

And bringing other discussions from another board ain't kosher since it just confuse things. If i thought that Village Africa was ugly why the hell i post the picture then....?

Exactly...

I WAS EVEN TALING ABOUT THE BOOK SPECIFICALLY...and talking about the book in general.

Traditional African Cerimonies take place in Lome, in Lagos, in Abuja...Not All of Africa Where Ever ALL Villages...so lets check our facts Please.

Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2004, 06:10:55 PM »

Excuse me But My Authentic Africa is not only in the Villages.
Ceremonies do not only take place in the villages. Lets get that straight.

So after you exxagerated and put extra words into my comment, do you feel better now???

And bringing other discussions from another board ain't kosher since it just confuse things. If i thought that Village Africa was ugly why the hell i post the picture then....?

Exactly...

I WAS EVEN TALING ABOUT THE BOOK SPECIFICALLY...and talking about the book in general.

Traditional African Cerimonies take place in Lome, in Lagos, in Abuja...Not All of Africa Where Ever ALL Villages...so lets check our facts Please.

It doesn't confuse things because you know what the heck I'm talking about to begin with, so don't act like it's a big deal BECAUSE IT ALL TIES IN.

I didn't put any words in your mouth that is what you want to believe sense you're in defense mode right about now. Continue with your paranoia that we're out to stomp you.

I got better things to do to make myself feel better like kicking rocks then putting words in your mouth.

Where did I say that you believe village life is ugly? I'll bet you won't find it. It's funny because now you're putting words in my mouth.

Actually you weren't talking about books in general you were talking about that specific book, but to save drama I'll just leave it at that.  If you want to argue about it we'll argue about it there.
Kwegan

Roots

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2004, 10:16:54 PM »

The Ugly comment was in reference to Ms. Bantu Kelani...

The Book in general NOT Books in general...

Paraniod about WHO...Let me look back on my replies and check where i stated anyone was out to get me.... :-/ Roll Eyes

This being a good example on how the Human mind sees more than is presented and associate adjectives to pictures and vice versa

Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2004, 03:23:33 AM »

The Ugly comment was in reference to Ms. Bantu Kelani...

The Book in general NOT Books in general...

Paraniod about WHO...Let me look back on my replies and check where i stated anyone was out to get me.... :-/ Roll Eyes

This being a good example on how the Human mind sees more than is presented and associate adjectives to pictures and vice versa

yada yada yada

i don't appreciate being lied on, an i wonder at the specific reason for doing so.

This sounds like someone with issues  :-/

If you weren't addressing that ugly comment to me then fine just state who you're addressing your comments to next time.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 03:25:53 PM »

The whole Slide "Show" is Terrible, absolutely Terrible...The whole Show resembled a freak show fest. I know thats a horrible thing to say, but its true. And you wonder why most African Americans want to be disassociated from Africa, i would too, if these where the things being shown to me as All Africa was.

then you said:

Because NEVER did i say i was embarrassed.

The problem is not with the pictures, some of them are Gorgeous-in my eyes.

A peoples greatness is measured (in the west) primarily by the advances they make in society, their buildings, their social intricacy and make up, their schools, their architecture, their roads, and the efficiency of the agriculture and so on.

then you said:

I could give a rats ass what white America sees or what White America or Europe think about who we are.  

Being disingenuous and forgetfully selective won't help you in your argumentation Kwegan. Your speech is driven by a self-castigating attitude. You tend to go overboard with defensiveness with really any substance. It's apparent to me you are not really concerned for Black people's autonomy and liberation.

so please do not put words into my mouth, or try to psychoanalyze me, cause you ain't that good...

I am starting to wonder whether you are projecting your own insecurities unto me.  

You've done a wonderful job of exposing your own insecurities yourself.

You can't Shout at people to get them to see what you see, you can't bang it in their heads, or call them names or accuse them of being stupid and loving white and hating themselves...even if it is true.

This quote speaks to my very point about your attitude. But your conceit fails to permit you to see that what is obvious.

As for my alleged "narrow-mindness", all you have seen so far is the thoughts of someone with strong opinions. But then you are the same way, so if I can see only my own opinion, you suffer from the same "weakness".

Bantu Kelani.

sisMenenI

physical distance cannot be a barrier to love.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 03:54:25 PM »

I dont usually respond to vibes like this, but I just must ask all of whom is in conflict... what's the point? We're dealing with an online resource of upliftment through reasonment... why get personal about who has issues or make assumptions about how people feel on certain subjects, if we don't even know each other? I suggest the I's use time to manifest for the positive, there is enough war in the world, don't let it reside within you.
Only for the UPLIFTMENT of Gracious Mama Africa...
Blessed Love

Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is a simple way of life, pure and original as was given by the most high. Spirituality is a network linking us to the most high, the universe and eachother
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2004, 05:53:16 PM »

sisMenenI,
I encourage anyone to offend anyone, however do you really expect to reach intellectual and spiritual growth without being tested in rational and reasonable dialogues? Many people have an aversion to people who can challenge their beliefs and opinions. Consequently, they are satisfied with a "virtual positivism" of Black African, even if everything in the world's construct abuse us, psychologically and physically. So what place does a "virtual contentment" have in the lives of Africans when others do not believe in the legitimacy of its reality and even some blacks themselves have difficulty psychologically accepting it. How alleged Rastas are supposed to free the mind of Black Africans without logically challenge their academic, religious and political beliefs controlled by the agenda of their own oppressors? I firmly believe challenging doesn't not mean offense, it simply means putting oneself and others to the test and grow intellectually or in wisdom.

Bantu Kelani.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: