Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25517 Posts in 9753 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 82 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Leslie-Ann Paul (Moderator: leslie)
| | |-+  WANNA BE RICH?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WANNA BE RICH?  (Read 4319 times)
leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« on: May 06, 2004, 02:55:38 PM »

Do you know what I could do with a million dollars? Well for starters, I'd buy me a big ole house and tour the Caribbean with the spare change. What would you do? Stop playin'! We both know that you would rather buy a new sports car than to give to charity. And I know that you would live up to your promise and remain down to earth despite your newly rich status. Heck, so would I. you know what they say, " you could take me out of the ghetto, but you could never take the ghetto out of me," or some words to that effect.

I know that you're a scholar and I'm about to tell you what you already know, but I just have to tell you again. Okay, here it goes... Now I know that you saw that new pair of Jordans on the shelf or that pair of Jlo jeans that you're dying to get into. But tough luck,' cause we both know that by the time that you get paid your money is gone. You've got to pay the phone bill, the light bill, purchase a new school shirt for Kevin... and the list goes on and on. So when exactly are you going to buy the things that you want? Yeah, I know that we all have to make sacrifices, blah, blah, blah...I get the gist. So the only way that you can buy that Mercedes Benz in this lifetime is if you win the lottery. Good luck...I think?

Well, we are both aware that there are limited resources that are available here on this planet. So that all the gold, the diamonds, the oil, the bauxite, everything is of a fixed amount, agreed? Okay, I see that you're feeling me. We are also aware that there are rich people in this world, like Bill Gates, and there are poor people, like you and I. but didn't you know that the only possible way that people can get rich is if others are poor? Yeah, I know, I didn't think of this before just now. Let me draw an analogy here. There are ten people in a room and there are ten large cakes on the table. Obviously if two people share eight of the cakes between them, then the other eight people have two cakes to be divided among them...right? Then, we can deduce that the two people with the eight cakes are much happier 'cause they got eight yummy chocolate coated chocolate cakes with chocolate filling and chocolate chunk toppings and chocolate... sorry about my drifting into fantasy for a minute there. Anyway, back to the real world. If you understood anything that was said before (please tell me that you did!!!) then you would know that our reality is quite similar...minus the chocolate. So capitalism is such that only a few people are privy to the vast amount of limited wealth existing on this planet. Is this really the perfect system? Who benefits? Well I can state without doubt that Leslie Ann Camille Paul is not one who benefits. From what I hear, she 'broken to thief'.  

And what about education and the increase in technology? Tell meh brother/sister what dis ting 'bout? Well as far as I see it the so-called education that they grant us is a combination of indoctrination, lies and everything necessary for us to work for them. Thank you lord for dis ting called education...I'm so blessed, so fortunate to be one of the select few to have had the privilege to attend school for seventeen years of my life. No Jim, ah not seventeen years old...mind yuh business bwoy! In my mind, the real education is SELF education, but that is another story for another time. Back to meh point. Modern day capitalism benefits few individuals who are usually white, mostly males and are alot of times, Jews. No matter how nice they seem, they are well aware that they need you and me to be poor, sometimes dirt poor for them to maintain their wealth. doh worry Sammy, dey going to feed yuh 'cause de need yuh to dig up dem diamonds in South Africa. How dey ain't go feed yuh, eh? dem had to be mad, mad! Hungry man cyah wok till belly full, ent? So they keep us barely alive so that their business continues.

But oh oh, I think we've got a problem.  Our labour is being replaced by...(scream) computer technology. So the more dis ting develop, the less human resource is needed. I see yuh get where ah comin from. Now yuh understand why they develop the AIDS and other viruses. Too many people that they have to take care of...ohhhh. And that's why they abolish slavery...no longer feasible to be responsible for the help. Darn it! Ah see it now Mr. Williams...God help meh, ah see it real clear now. Tony asks, "so even if I get extra in my pockets, there are always going to be those with more money that I? You tryin' to tell me that my dream to be a millionaire, a multi-billionaire would mean that millions of people would suffer? Nah... dis cyah be true...tell meh yuh lying gyal...oh gorm..." Tony, you know dat yuh is meh real bwoy and I does tell you as it is. But the sad truth is that you are absolutely correct. I know that there are some things that you and I may want (which by the way are things that they tell you to want so that they could enrich themselves) but think about those worse off than yourself. Think about those people in Malaysia that labour with little pay to make that pair of sneakers that you want. Think about your brothers in South Africa who are exploited daily to get that diamond ring on your finger. Is it really worth it? No man, it can't be.

The way that I see it, the only solution is the equal distribution of our limited resources. Capitalism has failed miserably...unless you care only about yourself and benefit tremendously from the system. But if you're like me and care for others you would realize the mess that we're really in. So believe me when I tell you I know what it is to wake up real hungry (especially when you like to eat like me) and there is almost nothing when you open the refrigerator. And if you're a picky eater like myself, I know that yuh does get real vex when all that there is to eat is bread and butter...nothing else does make meh feel to cuss on a mornin'! But you know, I realize that as poor as I am, I haven't experienced the worst of it. And I don't think that I want to impoverish others by taking more than my fair share of the available resources. (bye bye Jlo jeans [sniff]). So I think I'm cool with being materially poor...there are so many enriching experiences that I am yet to attain. What about you...wanna be rich?
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 02:01:14 AM »

This is quite a nice reasoning.
out_of_Zion

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 02:20:52 AM »

sister,

I like your natural style and that you didn't try to be pretentious in writing this piece.   It is very true and natural, your voice and INI understand and truly can feel these words from ya heart if ya feel me.  I feel spoiled as it is.  My mother says we are "blessed," but I have been to Central America, and I want to return there because it is closer to my roots than this culture.. INI feel so removed from this planet living in Babylon USA where concrete is pervasive and nature is the rarity.  I appreciate that you understand the nasty situation that the Shaitain has put this world in with everyone driving for materalisitic WANTS and INI also appreciate that you do not DESIRE these with an inner greed.  Ya words ring true and INI sense no hypocrisy within the I.  Blessed sister, tred on.  Blessings.

Jah love,
brett david

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
Nazarite

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 04:08:50 AM »

Ohm.thats wyh Communal living works for me Smiley!

Selassie I /Empress Menen-Y'shua/Mary Magdalene,Perfect Balance
out_of_Zion

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 04:56:04 AM »

"Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you could,
Imagine all the people,
Living happily,
You may say that I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one..."

- John Lennon

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »

"There will always be rich and poor..." I don't think Yeshua was really talkin bout money there. More times the poorest people materially are the richest spiritually. Is wuh Dr. Alimantado sing "you have some people who ain't got nothing to eat, but when you go in their communities, they look so happy running up and down the place, it seems like they're having a wonderful time... but when you go amongst the people with money, they look so sad and grumpy..."
With that said, a sistren of mine from India once told me "the idea that rich people aren't happy is a lie rich people made up to tell us poor people so we wouldn't want to take their ish." (I paraphrase).
I'll most likely never be anywhere near rich but I'll say this, I sure wouldn't mind if I was able to, cos there's all this money out there and if I could grab a chunk of it I know I would put it to better use than the ones who got chunks of it now. Get some land and head back to GT with some people and set up a worker-owned co-op making fruit juice or something and show people you could run a business without a boss. Buy a press and put out some propaganda, recording studio and put out some musical propaganda... by which point I'd prolly have to invest in some guns, fuh real... course I'd also buy some nice tings for my family and travel round the world and never run out a weed etc.
But yu right Leslie I ain' gone bodda killin meself scramblin around fuh de dusty ($) cos I done know I can live alright without too much of it and I could still make some changes in the world and so on.
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »

Nazarite-
could ya enlighten the i as to how to succeed in communal living? i have heard that this is only a myth and a way for the corrupt to gain power. how do you live this way successfully and peacefully?
one luv,
legacy

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Nazarite

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 10:55:06 PM »

Blessed Ras Legacy."could ya enlighten the i as to how to succeed in communal living? i have heard that this is only a myth and a way for the corrupt to gain power. how do you live this way successfully and peacefully?

from I OWN experience,as i can ONLY speak for I-self,Communal living is about sharing SACRED KNOWledge to a certain people,and learning to live as ONE according to the laws of the Iniverce.the ones who get the Exoteric part of the Teachings do not live Communally with the rest,but go home at the end of the day.i live peacefully this way because its a SPIRITUAL thing,not a Material,as ALL the expences that one gains goes to the person who handles it,and Iveryone knows where and what the Expences are going to.i know i MADE I-self of a "poor" nature,meaning eventhough i work,i still dress a certain way,and live with Nature,MOST of the time.iit is the FIRST time i heard that Communal living was a "Myth" and a "Corrupt" way for one to gain power,as the ones i know of,the only way they "gain" power is through the Forces of Mama Nature.like i said before,i can ONLY speak for I-self.

Nazarite

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 10:57:48 PM »

Oh,and i forgot to add,Iveryone benefits from it,as in Communal living,your own IS MY own.Peace! Smiley

NB

Roots

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 03:01:26 AM »

Do I wanna be rich?
yeah, I'm pretty sure that I do.  For what?  Jlo jeans? No! materially speaking money's not so important, but almost everything we do revolves around that dollar. I want to eat good food, I want my kids to live in a nice house, I don't want poverty to bring down my family nor anybody else's.  Yes, a lot of rich people are greedy, many are not.  So many rich people out there do such wonderful things with their cash.  I've thought about your post for a while now, and for so long now I've been trying to tell myself that money's the root of evil.  I've come to a realization, money is not the root of all evil, satan is the root of evil.  It's up to a human to decide where their money goes and where it doesn't.  While it may seem so hard, when you live in poverty, it doesn't mean you can't get out of the vicious cycle of the rich bringing down the poor.  Through sheer self motivation people from the poorest walks of life have risen to postitions of wealth, and then taken that money to do great things.  What do we want money for? screw the diamonds, let's live clean, be generous, give to get and you'll never regret!!  We spend so much energy telling ourselves how sinister the rich man is, but if we stood toe to toe with the rich man, would we be sinister too?  Money doesn't corrupt the human, satan does, and the battle of good and evil rages on!!  Get some money, save it, and do good things, it's easy, ya'll can trust me.   Selam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: