Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:10:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 92 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  The Crusades
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Crusades  (Read 11345 times)
preach

Roots

« on: September 05, 2004, 03:47:50 PM »

Not more than an hour ago my aunt asked me did I go to church today. It struck me odd that she would ask me such a question as I thought it was unanimously understood that I had dissected and left the church many eons ago. I responded as nice as I could, " I just don't." Her response was, " You'll be back. " Then she went into a tirade. It is so difficult to discuss religion and spirituality with some people so I usually either humble myself by either agreeing or stifling my words. But I am tired of pleasing others at the expense of their emotions. The things that I would like to say would infuriate some; and it is especially difficult when dealing with loved ones including friends. I am not one of those people who when the going gets rough I have to resort back to the old faithful. I am comfortable being uncomfortable. I am growing and developing.
I am tired of people asking me to come fellowship with them under the premise that our place of worship, church, synagogue, mosque, etc., is different. There is no difference, all of their stories, ideas, beliefs, rituals, traditions, history either coincide or are borrowed from one another. And then I  am condemned to hell, purgatory, hades, etc.. I do not subscribe to fear. Let me be and let your judgemental god do his work.

love
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 08:55:04 AM »

i think u meant to put this post in the room for talk about christianity, islam or judiasm. none of what you say has any bearing or relevance with the traditional religious community.

we dont evangelize.
we dont believe in hell.
we dont believe in the european concept of sin.
we dont believe that there is only one way.
we dont tell people where they need to be on sunday.

so again, i think you posted in the wrong room.

traditionalists feel your pain.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:29:55 AM »

we dont evangelize.
we dont believe in hell.
we dont believe in the european concept of sin.
we dont believe that there is only one way.
we dont tell people where they need to be on sunday....

traditionalists feel your pain.

I agree(of course)...Maybe preach was looking for some advice, support, or empathy from like minded folk.(which you gave).

Preach,

It is hard to discuss religion within some families(I was blessed with open minded family members so I have much simpathy when I see my close friends and others struggling in this area)

I wouldn't suggest all out fights with especially the older relatives...But you never know what good you can do by sharing. Take for instance an elder woman I know from the organization N'COBRA...She goes by the name Nana because she is like a grandmother to everyone in the African centered community where I live...We all simply love her! She was introduced to African centered Spirituality and consciousness by her adult son. She was in her 70's when she first learned about the African origins of Western religions...She was an avid Christian prior to her son exposing her to anything else. She has now been to Africa 4 times(that I know of) Egypt, Ethiopia, and Ghana twice! She practices traditional African spirituality(Ifa) and is active in the reparations movement(very active...at every event/fundraiser) Imagine if her son didn't give her the information he had learned!

Now, as far as the aunt who went into a tirade...I know it is hard sometimes to confront elders on their mis-education...but as long as you do it respectfully I don't see a problem with it...Especially, if that person is attacking you rudely! It's one thing to not discuss it, to keep the peace, but when someone is trying to force their misguided beliefs on you, you may have to drop some knowledge on them...I've had to, usually it brings and uncomfortable silence...but at least the tirades don't continue.

Forward to a united Africa!
preach

Roots

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 08:09:15 PM »

Thanks for the encouraging words.  

one love.

love
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: