Obeah: Afro-Caribbean Spiritual System

(1/4) > >>

OlOrisa_Olokun:
Obeah
Obeah, as practiced in Jamaica and the Caribbean, takes the USE OF and KNOWLEDGE OF ancient occult powers orginally handed down over the centuries by word of mouth from the remnants of a once very powerful and celebrated religious order in remote ages, now lost in the mist of time, and combines it with Shamanism --- as practiced mostly by tribal people who spoke Ashanti from West Africa --- Sorcery, Voudon (Voodoo), and witchcraft.

It is a dying breed shrouded in secrecy known and practiced only by a select few. Even fewer ever truly enter the ranks of Obeah and able to successfully wield its will and awesome scope unscathed. An Obeahman can use ANY system and fuel it with the power of Obeah without the danger of disrespect FOR the gods, but, depending on circumstances, not necessarily without repercussions FROM the gods and the natural order of things. Obeah is potent, compelling and in the wrong hands, both deadly and dangerous. It's secret lies in its POWER. Even White Light Shields can and do weaken, collapse, or be rendered impotent, buckling under to another's stronger power when pitted against each other in tests of strength.

It is thought that the Ashanti and the Dahomeyans are the carriers of the wisdom of Obeah. That it was slaves from west and-north-Africa that brought this current of power to Jamaica and Trinidad-Tobago. The tradition of Obeah captures several lines of occult transmission. The Obeah it self is best seen as an multi-different source of extreme power. In a way, in that Obeahmen have been around and practicing their craft for centuries, and long before the term came into popular culture, the Obeahmen are the TRUE Chaos Magicians since they can use any system they want and fuel it with the power of Obeah, without the danger of disrespect for the gods. In Trinidad you will find Obeah blended with Muslim faith with Hinduism and Christianity. Also in Sierra Leone there are certain tribes which declares themselves as Muslim but who use the Quran to perform powerful magic with the help of Angels and Djinns. Similar traditions are to be found in Trinidad-Tobago as well. In the succession I belong to Obeah is blended with Orisha-worship, which is the most common manifestation of Obeah. Orisha worship in Trinidad has two main fractions "Spiritual Orisha" which are very Christian in its practical way. They also avoid blood-offerings. The other one "Baptist Orisha" is a more pure and ancient line of Orisha-transmission who accept blood-offerings and function very much like Orisha-worship you’ll meet elsewhere in the world. Still I might add that Voudon (Voodoo) is perhaps the closest "brother" to "Baptist Orisha"

Kebo:
There's a very cool musician from the Carribean named Exuma. Obeah I think is one of the themes that runs through his music, like in songs 'Obeah man come back' off Exuma's Reincarnation. The sound of his music also has some of that Obeah which you just described. Exuma could be a man who sings about Obeah or he could be an Obeahman or a man who believes in Obeah. Even his name has a life after death significance which may be part of his affiliation to Obeah. Either way his music is great and not as internationally recognized as I think he should be.

Kevin

Murungu:
I am very interrested in knowing more abt obeah. I know alittlebit about it from before, but mostly I know abt witchcraft (scandinavian). The type of obeah I know of is from West-Africa (Gambia and Ghana) and some from Uganda. I allso know about the Nnangas in Zimbabwe.

I know that if u want to do witchcraft, a part of it is what you are born with and the rest is what you learn. You mainly have to be born with the power, and then somebody teach you how to control it. Is it like that with Obeah too?

Is it not mainly the same thing?

Still searching..

Bless..

Bantu_Kelani:

I know that if u want to do witchcraft, a part of it is what you are born with and the rest is what you learn. You mainly have to be born with the power, and then somebody teach you how to control it. Is it like that with Obeah too?

Is it not mainly the same thing?

Indeed, like other popular traditional African religions everywhere in the Diaspora, Obeah is ancestrally determined. A western person can develop himself or herself through the study of Obeah but ultimately he or she will not experience its profound spirits, as the ancestors control our mysteries and there is a direct ancestral tie to this tradition. As a result, it's very important for all races to honor their own ancestors... Black African people in the Diaspora do have a special relationship with traditional African religions because the Deific ancestors of Obeah and other traditional African religions are in their blood.

I wonder, why is it imperative for you to associate Obeah with Witchcraft that is the rites of Satanism? Obeahmen in traditional African religion are not Satan-worshippers you are mistaken. The balanced and self-respected Obeahmen only carries the legacy of our ancestors. They deal with the truth of African ancestral philosophy and metaphysics, while witchcraft worshipers represent Satanism that has little resemblance with the indigenous African philosophy. 

It seems you are confusing "Wicca" (the joyful indigenous spiritual philosophy that honor Nature and celebrate its many faces, including the Earth Mother process of being fertile and fruitful) with "Witchcraft" (Satanism).

B.K

preach:
Witchcraft or what is considered witchcraft is a very interesting subject. I read the satanic bible and was impressed. People get caught up in the stereotypical view of satanism and never see it as a practical philosophy. I would go so far as to say some of the satanic ideals remind me of pragmatism. And just like any religion or group it has its good sects and its bad sects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page