Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Mainstream Religion (Moderator: Tyehimba)
| | |-+  Church dogma strikes again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Church dogma strikes again  (Read 14194 times)
Oshun_Auset

« on: August 20, 2004, 01:36:58 PM »

Church says girl's communion not valid

By JOHN CURRAN
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Communion%20Denied

Haley Waldman, 8, is shown in her communion gown in this undated family photo. Haley who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic doctrine. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Waldman family)  
BRIELLE, N.J. -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

"It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

"This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.

When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten (pronounced GLOO'-ten) damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies, bone-thinning and sometimes gastrointestinal cancer.

The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion, but that anything without gluten does not qualify. Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying her child could be harmed by even a small amount of the substance.

Haley's Communion controversy isn't the first. In 2001, the family of a 5-year-old Massachusetts girl with the disease left the Catholic church after being denied permission to use a rice wafer.

Some Catholic churches allow no-gluten hosts, while others do not, said Elaine Monarch, executive director of the Celiac Disease Foundation, a California-based support group for sufferers.

"It is an undue hardship on a person who wants to practice their religion and needs to compromise their health to do so," Monarch said.

The church has similar rules for Communion wine. For alcoholics, the church allows a substitute for wine under some circumstances, however the drink must still be fermented from grapes and contain some alcohol. Grape juice is not a valid substitute.

Haley, a shy, brown-haired tomboy who loves surfing and hates wearing dresses, realizes the consequences of taking a wheat wafer.

"I'm on a gluten-free diet because I can't have wheat. I could die," she said last week.

Last year, as the third grader approached Holy Communion age in this Jersey Shore town, her mother told officials at St. Denis Catholic Church in Manasquan that the girl could not have the standard host.

After the church's pastor refused to allow a substitute, a priest at a nearby parish volunteered to offer one, and in May, Haley wore a white Communion dress, and received the sacrament alongside her mother, who had not taken Communion since she herself was diagnosed with the disease.

Last month, the diocese told the priest that the church would not validate Haley's sacrament because of the substitute wafer.

"I struggled with telling her that the sacrament did not happen," said Pelly-Waldman. "She lives in a world of rules. She says `Mommy, do we want to break a rule? Are we breaking a rule?'"

Pelly-Waldman is seeking help from the Pope and has written to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, challenging the church's policy.

"This is a church rule, not God's will, and it can easily be adjusted to meet the needs of the people, while staying true to the traditions of our faith," Pelly-Waldman wrote in the letter.

Pelly-Waldman - who is still attending Mass every Sunday with her four children - said she is not out to bash the church, just to change the policy that affects her daughter.

"I'm hopeful. Do I think it will be a long road to change? Yes. But I'm raising an awareness and I'm taking it one step at a time," she said

Forward to a united Africa!
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:39:54 PM »

The church seems to have lost(if it ever had any...of which I don't think they did) the last vestiges of any common sense and only goes by dogma...Isn't the damn communion only supposed to be symbolic anyway? Who cares what the hell the wafer is made out of?! It's supposed to REPRESENT the flesh of Jesus...On another note...if these people continue to be a part of a religious organization with soooo many contradictions then Roll Eyes....

I was refused baptism in the Catholic church because my father wouldn't convert...(My mother was raised Catholic)...They told her because my father wasn't Catholic that I can't be baptised in the church and my soul would go to pergatory(limbo) if I died as a child(like any higher force would be as illogical as that)...She would still take me to mass occasionally( for the experience)...But she never considered herself a member after that, because she thought it was assinine...it was, it is, and so is this.

Shouldn't they be this strict with the pedophiles in their church? Why all the bending of rules(or lack of rules) for them? "Religion" needs to get back to "We living"! Simultaneous Strict ceremony and ritual for the congregation and preiests, bishops, ect are perverts with little to know reprocussions...What the hell?(Pun intended)

Forward to a united Africa!
preach

Roots

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »

The catholic church _______ fill in the blank. During communion ceremonies don't they actually say, this REPRESENTS the body of christ which was shed for you. I am not a bible scholar but I will bet that there is nothing in the bible that will support their outrageous decision. I will go so far as to say that I bet they want the little girl to eat the wheat filled wafer as a testament of her faith, and if she survives they will claim it was a miracle. You are correct Oshun, more total emphasis should be on their real problem sexual perversity.
I have a question for anyone who may know the answer. Is it true that all churches, no matter what denomination must be ordained by the vatican/head church ?

love
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: