Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 43 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Have you ever been to a traditional ritual?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Have you ever been to a traditional ritual?  (Read 37921 times)
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 10:46:36 AM »

Hail up Bantu
I wasn't criticizing it...just explaining why it is the only barrier to me becoming involved in these things. And asking whether it is indeed considered universally necessary... considering that I have heard that there are Rastas who feel the same way I do, but who do practice Shango, using offerings of fruits, etc. rather than flesh.
preach

Roots

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 08:40:26 PM »

I understand your sentiments gman. If ones consider animal sacrifice to be morbid or inhumane then any other form of offering should be accepted. We have to remember that alot of religions incorporate cultures or traditions that are not necessarily in its base. An example would be the chauvinism of some sects of islam where the woman is required to do things like walk behind her husband or cover her entire body with clothing except her eyes; this is an example of arab culture and not necessarily islam or spirituality. Besides its just symbolic and any heartfelt offering should be accepted.
B.K. it is always best to critic before becoming involved in anything. Traditional afrikan religion does not automatically spell righteous. Female circumcision is not right and it is an old tradition.

love
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 11:31:41 PM »

What do you know about true traditional African religion preach? Do you practice any? I am a native of Africa and a serious Vodouist and proud of it! Until you have real intimacy with traditional religion like me, you can only legitimize your opinion of it through the eyes of outsider, that is, with a western, colonial mindset.
If the use of animal sacrifice is repulsive for you, there are non-African/Diaspora African cults that are good or neutral for your purposes. I suggest you & Gman to stick with Rastafari, you may achieve "enlightenment" as you understand it.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 08:28:10 AM »

I would always still be rastafari, regardless whether or not I delved further into african traditions.
I'm taking this as saying that yes, animal sacrifice is absolutely indispensable to the practice of these traditions? any other opinions from other practitioners?
BK if you think i'm trying to cast judgement on y'all's practices, you totally misunderstanding where i'm coming from.
preach

Roots

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 12:37:14 PM »

I don't care if you studied in a remote area of afrika with the wisest elder that ever lived if you come away with your same attitude then what have you learned. You must check your ego and arrogance beloved. To boldly state that you are a native of afrika and a serious vodouist sounds strangely similar to a white person boldly stating that they have black friends. Humans are the only animals who kill for sport
Didn't Oshun post a thread about Haley Waldman who's first holy communion was considered invalid because she violated catholic doctrine by not eating a wheat cracker thing even though she has a rare digestive order that forbids her to eat wheat as it may kill her. should gman or anyone else be subjected to the same catholic treatment?

love
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 01:34:23 PM »

Yeah blame my bad behavior.. haha..! The truth is you still don't have the ability to make rational analysis on traditional African religion because it's not part of your reality. Now is it not?  

Gman, of course fruits and vegetables sacrifice can play a part in traditional African rituals (rice, bananas, corn and peanuts). Libation is welcome too (milk, rum or water). In any case, you must make a sacred offering to the gods and the ancestral spirits in exchange for something that you desire or you value. Just put your love and dedication into the sacrifice in traditional African religion.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
preach

Roots

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 11:23:10 PM »

B. K.my analysis must have been rational enough to persuade you to give gman a better response than you did the first time. Please tell me what my reality is ?

love
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 12:29:54 AM »

Well, Mr. preach reading you I understand that a single thing from me that is an affront to your point of view is rude. So, maybe from the beginning I should have given you a perspective that ingratiates yourself. My bad.

B.K

iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 08:00:25 AM »

Gman, of course fruits and vegetables sacrifice can play a part in traditional African rituals (rice, bananas, corn and peanuts). Libation is welcome too (milk, rum or water). In any case, you must make a sacred offering to the gods and the ancestral spirits in exchange for something that you desire or you value. Just put your love and dedication into the sacrifice in traditional African religion.

B.K

Every day that one lives, something must give its energy in order for one to I-tinue to live. I am of the persuasion also that there is indeed one life, and that each plant, animal, etc. is part of this one life. So everytime we consume food(or even walk in the bush, or in a field - as who knows what we are stepping on!) we are taking in energy which is part of this one life, so this in and of itself is worthy of reflection.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: