Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Quotes (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: christianity  (Read 31132 times)
preach

Roots

« on: March 16, 2005, 02:36:57 AM »

Christianity. A form of religion practiced by the millions, but as misunderstood and unreal to the majority as gravitation is to the untutored savage. We profess to live in the atmosphere of christianity, yet our acts are as barbarous as if we never knew christ. He taught us to love, yet we hate; to forgive yet we revenge; to be merciful yet we condemn and punish, and still we are christians.
  If hell is what we are taught it is , then there will be more christians there than days in all creation. To be a true christian one must be like christ and practice christianity, not as the bishop does, but as he says, for if our lives were to be patterned after the other fellow's all of us. bishop, priest and layman would ultimately meet around the furnace of hell, and none of us because of our sins, would see salvation.

-Marcus Garvey

love
jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »

he was great soul

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 06:32:06 PM »

"was"? ... Marcus Garvey lives for Iver...

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
jahtiger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »

The Rt. Hon John Mosiah Garvey was a very strong prophet. Though many may not see him as that because of they,ve been brainwashed about how a prophet is to be. Remember he did prophesy about the crowning of Haille Sellasie. Respect to him .
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »

the number of things MARCUS GARVEY prophesied is overwhelming.

who is a christian though? i've heard so many people written people off as not being christians because they failed at some point to uphold the "perfect" character that jesus outlined. but if that is the case...where are the christians? are there any?

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 02:46:11 PM »

Note also that Selassie I remained a Christian throughout his life. He was a leader upholding the standards Jesus set.

I'm in a growth period of understanding who HIM is. I believe Selassie IS the ONE of whom the Rastafari brethren speak and whom Marcus Garvey prophesize. But I think we have to adust our concept of the duty of the anointed one and open our mind to a new view. As Selassie says HIM just a man. But HIM a Man who live right - therefore a man who sets the example for Africans / men. I'm thinking his intent is not to replace Jesus but to live in the true Jesus teaching - as the teaching applies to what's happening today and where mankind is heading - towards civilization. And hand in hand with civilzation as the destiny - the Holy Jah spirit, the creative energy. And Him show the way to access it - hard work, education, restraint, indepedence, history, roots, dignity, self-respect...

One of Selassie's teaching was to deflect rastas away from HIM as the target. To "never to make the mistake of thinking man can emanate from a deity" and direct rasta brethren to the Holy Spirit which has come in a new name. The Spirit is the true second coming of Jesus Christ and the object of repatriation - Selassie is the leader to it...through the gates of zion unfolding on earth.

Kebo I

African justice - white redemption
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »

1 thing tho...rasta not replacing jesus wid SELASSIE....rasta praise SELASSIE, fullstop. christians say jesus, rastas say SELASSIE. it has nothing to do with the bible, jesus, israel, bible history or the fact that HAILE SELASSIE is christian. initially is was, but rasta has evolved; rasta grows with knowledge and iverstanding.

muslims hail allah...christians hail jesus...buddhist hail buddha...rasta hail HAILE SELASSIE I as THE ALMIGHTY I.

jesus was a man wasn't he? or does the fact that his story comes with some fantastic tales rises him above "just the normal mortal"? i think what we really need to do as it regards HAILE SELASSIE, is study HIS teachings and be less concerned with what HE was religiously or...said in this interview or that interview...or how HE dressed, and whether HE smoked ganja or had locks....study HAILE I...

the temple of the most high begins with the human body which houses life, the essence of our existence. afrikans are in bondage today because the approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. we must stop confusing religion and spirituality. religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which were supposed to help people to grow spiritually. due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. spirituality is not theology or ideology. it is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the most high of creation. spirituality is a network linking us to the most high, the universe and each other. as the essence of our existence, it embodies our culture, true identity, nationhood and destiny. a people without a nation that they can call their own is a people without a soul. afrika is our nation and is in spiritual and physical bondage because her leaders are turning to outside forces for solutions to afrikan problems when everything afrika needs is within her. when afrikan righteous people come together the world will come together. this is our divine destiny. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I

RASTAFARI LIVES

Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »

The only reason we know Haile Selassie is because of the Bible. The reason the world knows about Haile Selassie I is because of reggae and the champion Bob Marley. Its interesting to me that Bob was baptised into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in his final days. From what he said in a previous interview the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is Rasta. The church is a christian church and its led me to believe that the church is a more pure, roots connection to Jesus. My intuition is that the Jesus seen through the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a more powerful Jesus than the Jesus preached in the Western hemisphere. The fact that Jesus died in his youth and his message has the worldwide and time-transcending impact that it has in only 3 years without the media we have today is Almighty! My sense is that we'll find answers in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church about the truth of Selassie.

No matter what - the fact is that Haile Selassie I is the one from who InI draw knowledge and strength.

natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »

rastafari is higher than bob marley, reggae & the bible. all are an expressions of rastafari, but not the whole nor the definition. u can't fully iverstand rastafari thru neither bob marley's music, other reggae, nor the bible. rastafari is life and nature man, rastafari is a culture..."a way of life, pure and original, as given to us by the most high of creation"....there's no book that defines rasta.

christians follow jesus...ethiopian orthodox is a christian faith, not rasta. love and blessings, HAILE SELASSIE is THE ALMIGHTY.

SELASSIE I LIVES

natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 06:32:22 AM »

the way of life is in no religion , thru identity,  thru culture, thru spirituality, thru connection with THE ALMIGHTY - chezidek (new reggae artist)

Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:37 AM »

A tree has roots and the Rastafari culture / way of life come from somewhere - knowledge of the culture dont appear from thin air. And without the Bible and Jesus how do you think the masses of people can get there - its a building movement. To rastafari is a path that one must follow. The destination must have a road map that the masses can read. Think about all the links in the chain that got you to understand rastafari. 

You contradict that the Ethiopian Orthodox church is rasta, you contradict rastafari's chief communicator to the 4 corners of the earth - Bob Marley. I dont think you can separate rastafari from Bob by saying rastafaris "higher than". Selassie I would never put himself higher than. If anything lower than. Bob is a member of the culture on earth and what come forth from Bob is the spirit talking to the people. Bob said it "this is not religion this is the life" - he was there. There are reasons why Bob wore the Emperor's ring, received a national hero's funeral in Jamaica, and is dubbed Berhane Selassie "Light of the Trinity" by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church - when his life's work was preaching the message of unity and Haile Selassie I the first Jah Rastafari.

natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:15:36 PM »

when i say "rastafari"...i'm refering to the culture which is rastafari, not HAILE SELASSIE. and when i say it is "higher han bob marley", i'm saying that rasta can't be judged nor defined by bob marley, his music, the bible, nor the ethiopian orthodox church. i have nothing against bob marley, he was a great warrior. but i'll have u know that there are many i-cients (elders) who do not have respect for bob marley as a rastaman, because they feel he exploited rasta and weakened it's spritual strength. there are many i-ncient rastas who are totally against reggae music.

unless i am mistaken, the ethiopian orthodox church worships jesus christ not so? then they are christians. rastas do not worhsip nor recognise jesus as anyone significant to their faith (and when i speak of rasta i speak of the 1st and i-riginal order, the order of the nyabinghi, from whence all sects of rastafari sprung. since u seem to be concerned with "roots"). yes, there are rastas today who have changed the "doctrine" to suit themselves, from wanting acceptance. they believe that they must explain to the white man's standard, the definition of rastafari.

have u any idea how many rastas they are who are clueless to reading? yet they've sighted  KING SELASSIE I's glory. they know the importance of heat, air and water. that is wat rasta is about man, livity...LIFE. not red, green and gold flags, not khaki suits, not shouting "JAH!", all those are expressinos of rastafari, but rastafari, in essence, is about livity. it's about thinking beyond the bible and beyond jesus...rastafari is LIFE...it's the air u breathe. it's about natural livity man, about reconnection with mother earth...about nature and life, about love and truth.

rastaman praise HALIE SELASSIE...christians praise jesus. jesus is of no significance to rasta. should u come to nyahbinghi gatherings here in jamaica, i guess u'd be surprised to hear cries of "fyah bun jesus!"..."bun god!" between chanting. rastafari (the culture) is beyond jesus the man...rastafari is LIFE. i'm not trying to argue with you, nor disrespect ur views, but i'm merely showing u that neither jesus nor the ethiopian orthodox are of any significance to the rastafari faith.

HAILE SELASSIE is THE ALMIGHTY

Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:56:29 PM »

"rastafari, in essence, is about livity. it's about thinking beyond the bible and beyond jesus...rastafari is LIFE...it's the air u breathe. it's about natural livity man, about reconnection with mother earth...about nature and life, about love and truth."

This I get and makes sense.

I look forward to learning more about the rastafari as it comes from the elders and jamaican rastafarian brethren. I can only imagine the depth of understanding and it makes my mouth water.

I also hear you on the need of whites and the west to emphasize definitions - dealing with it in the head instead of in the heart. But with my inquisitive mind I still wonder if Jamaican brethren would have recognized the teachings of Haile Selassie without Jesus - did Jesus and the bible have nothing to do with the origination of the rastafari culture in jamaica. Or did rastafari already exist before Selassie.

Whatever tho - I'm hearing a departure from you from all that logic - and just dealing with life and nature. But if you negate the link between Jesus and Haile Selassie i think you negate the connection of alot of people getting to the culture. If Selassie is the great teacher then Jesus set him up to win.

The deeper truth for Africans abroad is the knowledge of the greatness of Africa. Freedom from all oppressors, colonialism, bribery, outside forces - being oneself. 

natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:23:25 PM »

it's not that we ignore the fact that HAILE SELASSIE is christian, or that HE spoke of jesus and encouraged ini to read the bible (with a clean heart and clear conscience), but it's about message. if christians would concern themselves more with the message that "jesus" brought** rather than with jesus himself and the story behind his name, then i do believe we'd have a purer christian community. so now, instead of clinging to this jesus character, of whom we know so little about, and whose whole story seems a bit sketchy, we cling to someone we know. someone who connects with us on a realer and closer level...HAILE SELASSIE. rastafari arose in a time of white downpression, and HIM emerged in that time, as a BLACK KING commanding respect form the entire world, black and white...put urself in that time as a black person whose self-esteem has been pushed to the ground, and imagine the feeling that would give u...JAH. and this is from the bible, psalms 68 or suh. there are many bible prophecies (Isaiah...Revelations) which can be mirrored to bring an interpretation of HAILE SELASSIE as the bible's prophesied Messiah, and it was these that created the original "spark" of rastafari; along with MARCUS GARVEY's prophecy of a rising black king. but rastafari has grown with new knowledge and iverstanding. it may be useful to quote MARCUS GARVEY here: "belief is a matter of opinion, changeable by superior reasoning" we must realise that rastafari as a faith is but 70+ yrs old...extremely young for a spiritual movement, and already it has progressed immensely. we can't afford to be left behind by time, holding on to old doctrines which are no longer relevant to our present experiences.

rastas resent and denounce jesus because of they way jesus was presented to us here in the diaspora...as a "soother" for slavery and downpression. we respect the fact that HAILE SELASSIE is christian, but what HAILE SELASSIE is has nothing to do with what we should be, because HAILE SELASSIE himself taught us that spirituality is a personal decision, and "no man can judge the ways of god". he teaches us about independent thought and expression. rastas praise HAILE SELASSIE, but we are not followers of HIM. rastas never "follow". we cling to HIS teachings and works, but alongside HIS MAJESTY's teachings, is our own brains...to think for ourselves and manifest accordingly.

rastafari is an experience/culture which can be seen in other cultures/experiences. "rasta"...manifested technically after HAILE SELASSIE...but the essence of rasta has been here since creation. remember there's nothing new under the sun, no idea's original & everything has been here since creation. rasta can be seen thru buddhism as well. and i'm sure many other spiritual movements which i may not be aware of. the fundamental difference between rasta and christianity (as i know it anyway) is...rastas don't believe that the only way to iverlasting life is thru rastafari, as christians believe in this "jesus or hell" doctrine. the thing about rasta though, is that there is no real definition per se...u speak to 12 rastas, and they give u 14 different interpretations of rastafari, but the centre is the same...LOVE/LIFE/CREATION/EARTH & NATURE...which we see thru HAILE SELASSIE. buddhist see it thru the buddha. in the beginning there was the word, and the word was...quoting peter tosh "the word is...love, life, creation, rastafari. those are the words, many words, that mean progressiveness".

RASTAFARI LIVES

** although sumtimes very questionable reasonings on a "moral" and "unconditional love" basis:

10:34  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: