Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  "Science has given us the tools to prevent and treat HIV effectively"....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Science has given us the tools to prevent and treat HIV effectively"....  (Read 17120 times)
will

« on: July 22, 2007, 06:31:01 PM »

If this is true, then why isn't more being done about it in A F R I K A, right n o wHuh? Why are we still dying by the thousands, UNNECESSARILY???

Check out his article by MERAIAH FOLEY, Associated Press Writer Sun Jul 22, 5:34 AM ET

SYDNEY, Australia - The world will not be able to celebrate advances in HIV diagnosis and treatment until the United Nations' goal of universal access to drugs is reached, leading international AIDS researchers said at a conference Sunday.
We are dealing with a preventable disease and 11,000 people are contracting HIV/AIDS every day. We are dealing with a treatable disease and more than 3 million people are dying every year," said Pedro Cahn, the president of the International AIDS Society.

"Science has given us the tools to prevent and treat HIV effectively. The fact that we have not yet translated this science into practice ... is a shameful failure on the part of the global community."
More than 5,000 delegates from 133 countries have converged on Sydney, Australia, for the Fourth International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, which runs through Wednesday.
Researchers from across the globe will present their findings on the benefits of circumcision for cutting HIV rates through to the latest developments in anti-retroviral drugs.
Lower prices for HIV drugs have significantly improved access to treatment for people in poor countries, but recent World Health Organization figures show the numbers are still far short of the U.N.'s goal of universal coverage by 2010.......

.....More than 5,000 delegates from 133 countries have converged on Sydney, Australia, for the Fourth International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, which runs through Wednesday.
Researchers from across the globe will present their findings on the benefits of circumcision for cutting HIV rates through to the latest developments in anti-retroviral drugs.
Lower prices for HIV drugs have significantly improved access to treatment for people in poor countries, but recent World Health Organization figures show the numbers are still far short of the U.N.'s goal of universal coverage by 2010.

Last year, some 2 million people in developing countries were receiving the anti-retroviral drugs that help treat the HIV infection, a 54 percent increase over 2005. But overall, only 28 percent of the world's HIV patients are receiving the life-prolonging drugs.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the world health community could not celebrate the great breakthroughs in the treatment HIV/AIDS since it was first diagnosed 26 years ago until greater steps are made to prevent the disease.

"Of the projected 60 million infections that will occur by 2015, fully half of them are projected to be able to be prevented with already known and proven prevention methods," Fauci told reporters in Sydney.

"Before we celebrate 26 years since the beginning of extraordinary accomplishments, we're actually going to be judged as a society in what we do in the next 20-26 years," he said. "We cannot sustain a successful effort with HIV without prevention".........

See complete article at:" http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070722/ap_on_he_me/aids_conference"

Will...

"Individuality" is a very good thing... but... "Team-Work" is way more "Better"...
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

Greetings to all
Of late I have been reading much on the HIV/ AIDS discourse and I must say it is very disturbing how it is so skewed in the mainstream media. I think as Africans, this is something we have to look at a lot more critically. I do hope to complete an article on this soon which I hope to post on here. But I will here share some of what I have come across and perhaps one of you may complete that article(which will only be the beginning of things) before me. The other side of the discourse has implications for the way we analyze the image being presented thus far of Africa (and the Caribbean in Second place) as well as the options we present our selves in terms of treating or curbing the dis-ease. here are some of the questions which are up in the air, although we take it for granted:
(1) The Cause(s) of AIDS - Questions abound as to the isolation of the "virus"(HIV) which is said to cause AIDS. Apparently this virus has never been isolated and this proves sound in the testing methods which test for anti-bodies which are attributable to this phantom virus but not exclusive to it. The first cases of AIDS were among homosexual men who were intravenous drug uses who were possibly having anal sex as well which exposes them to all sorts of threats to their immune systems(Infact the dis-ease was initially referred to as GRID-Gay related Immune Deficiency). In Africa a case was recorded where of a group of prostitutes only those who used introvenous drugs suffered from immune deficiency(which is a condition which can and does exist outside of a particular virus.
(2) The testing methods - These vary from country to country in the actual test used, the strngency of the test and its interpretation. In some parts of the African Continent, persons were being diagnosed as being HIV positive due to suffering from persistent diarrhiea, weight loss and swollen lymph nodes without a blood test. Also despite the greater threat to persons on the continent due to poor sanitation and water(to parasites and bacteria which could compromise ones immune system) their criteria when using the standard HIV antibody test has been least stringent in parts of Africa. Consequently one can recieve different results based on tests taken on the continent and then taken in Australia or the U.S.A.
Because the anti-bodies being tested for in the HIV antibody test are not exclusive to HIV, the test is unreliable for identifying AIDS and other diseases are being misclassified. Therefore, rather than emphasizing the poor conditions that the Africans and others are subject to, the classification gives the impression of an people who despite their squalid conditions simply cannot control their sexual urges and shifts the discourse entirely; a revival of age old created myths of the African.
(3) The Treatment - the standard treatment is based on the inadequately founded theory of the HIV and therefore there is widespread use of AZT -the anti-retroviral drug whose toxicity can create the same conditions in the Immune system as AIDS. One of the consequences of this is that Grant funding that would formerly have gone to more easily treatable dis-eases(i.e based on the virus theory of AIDS) is going to AIDS and people are continuing to die from that which they could have been treated successfully from.
At the head of such research is one Dr. Peter Duesberg and Eleni Papadopulos-Eleopulos

Here are some useful sources
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/25-million-dead-people-cant-be-wrong-or-can-they/2007/02/10/1170524347092.html?page=fullpage - interesting case in Australia

www.duesberg.com - you can search teh subject index for Africa to zero-in. Peter deusberg was on Mbeki's panel who reevaluated the AIDS treatment.

www.virusmyth.net -here is aquote from this site

"If there is evidence that HIV causes AIDS, there should be scientific documents which either singly or collectively demonstrate that fact, at least with a high probability. There is no such document."

Dr. Kary Mullis, Biochemist, 1993 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.

http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/vtyinyang.htm - a useful three part articles

www.youtube.com search "Deconstructing the Myth of AIDS"

I do not doubt that one can suffer from an Immune deficiency syndrome but I do not think the evidence suggests that it is caused by a singular virus and that treatment should be informed by such. We need to be fully aware of the things which affect us and not simply get directives from here there and everywhere(only in the mainstrean).
blessed love and strength
Iniko Ujaama
www.myspace.com/liberationlibrary
wezekana

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »

I once read some literature which stressed the opinion that AIDS was a virus engineered (Eugenics) from sickle cell anemia and thus thought originally to only be of potential danger to African peoples, as only African people can develop sickle cell anemia. Early 1970's German newspapers featured stories of "The Black Man's Disease". Does anyone have any corresponding information?
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:46:38 AM »

Greetings,
I am familiar with such arguments. I have not done enough reading to rule the or to give them my thumbs up but I believe based on reading that I have done(sources of which I put down in an earlier post) that whether there is such a virus[which is yet to be properly isolated] or not there are many more questions about the condition called AIDS which is confusing the matter. I would be glad to get your perspectives on some of the sources I identified. For if some scientists are questioning the existence of a virus called HIV or whether it is sufficient of itself or even necessary to cause a total breakdown of one's immune system(AIDS) then the issue of the creation of a virus in a lab is minimized. One must also be mindful of the fact that the disease was first called GRID(Gay related Immune deficiency) as it was first prominent among Gays(mostly white I would assume) who were also intravenous drug users. If you are indeed interested in the issue of AIDS I do recommend that you make use of the literature I identified in the prior post and then we can discuss further some of the critical issues involved. Here is a quote from www.virusmyth.com

"If there is evidence that HIV causes AIDS, there should be scientific documents which either singly or collectively demonstrate that fact, at least with a high probability. There is no such document."

Dr. Kary Mullis, Biochemist, 1993 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.

I think for one thing, we did not pay enough attention to Mbeki when he decided to stop using AZT on the advice of a Committee which he had put in place to look at the issue of AIDS. Its a complex issue but one that has not been looked at critically enough my many of our third world governments. This site actually has a number articles, recommended books and reasonings on the same topic which makes use of the available information, some of which I mentioned in the previous post.

blessings and love
Iniko Ujaama

www.myspace.com/liberationlibrary
blog.myspace.com/liberationlibrary

will

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:38:44 AM »

Iniko Ujaama...

Thank you for this lesson on A.I.D.S... It's not often that we get the chance, or maybe i should say, take the chance to study both sides of the coin...

Being raised in America and by also being gainfully employed during this period, i've managed to become covered by two of their many different health plans... I've gone to their doctors & used their medicines for many years now without many complaints...  i've also had no occasion to question any particular treatment that i have received..

So far i am in good shape health-wise... Or so i was lead to believe...

After studyng the information you provided, i am no longer so sure of the care i am receiving.... Now i think i will began to question everything a heck of a lot more....

The controversy, or conspiracy (which-ever way it will eventually be defined), will have earth shattering consequences if it turns out to be the HOAX that Pres. Mbeki & associates think it is...  Either U.S. & Euro scientist were grasping at straws & ran with the 1st thing they saw, eventho' the work had not yet been done, or, the pharmacuetical companies saw a way to rip-off the world by selling tons of worthless drugs... Drugs incidently that offered no cure.... Longevity was to be the benefit of buying these drugs...

Many poverty-stricken populations that usually have lots of illnesses due to unhealthy & unsanitary living conditions, and no money for these phantom drugs & with no free drugs available were probably mis-diagnosed, as you said, and were left untreated for curable illnesses, causing an early death for multitudes....

This is crazy, if it turns out Mbeki is right... It would border on another GENOCIDE, this time for profit & greed....

Keep us updated in this on-going SAGA, since you are really into it... And again, thanks for the info.....

Will...

"Individuality" is a very good thing... but... "Team-Work" is way more "Better"...
wezekana

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 02:48:21 AM »

I shouldn't have been surprised, but damn was I surprised. That, brethren, is why my children are not immunized and have never been allowed to ingest their drugs or junk food. Still formulating... we will talk more.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: