Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 64 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Books & Reviews (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  The Color Complex: The Politics of Skin Color
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Color Complex: The Politics of Skin Color  (Read 9768 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: September 07, 2003, 12:11:09 AM »

The Color Complex: The Politics of Skin Color Among African Americans
by Kathy Russell, Midge Wilson, Ronald Hall

Reviewer: Dutch Martin from Morocco

I first read "The Color Complex" as a college student in 1996. As a dark-skinned Black male, this book brought to light the lion's share of all of the ostracism, ridicule, and occasional bullying that I experienced as a child. It also made me realize that a large segment of the Black community still does not want to acknowledge (let alone deal with) the fact that Black intra-racial color discrimination is still alive and well. Never under-estimate the power of denial.

It is very hypocritical that many Black "leaders (?)" prefer to always point the finger at White America for all of its sins, yet refuse to challenge us as Black folks to take a good, hard look at ourselves and how we treat each other. Bravo to the authors for "airing our dirty laundry" in a way that forces much needed and long overdue Black American community introspection.

This book will make some uncomfortable, but that's the point! Just like "Losing the Race" by John McWhorter, this books represents a much-needed wake-up call for Black Americans.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: