Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  General African News
| | |-+  Africa drafted its declaration on the rights of man in 1236
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Africa drafted its declaration on the rights of man in 1236  (Read 16576 times)
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« on: August 15, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »

This apparently is more than a year old "news" but I appreciated it much when it came to me so I sharing it here. I also got a copy of the translated document which I will also share. These seems to be a reaffirmation of much older values which may have become necessary to restate given the situations of the times.

“Africa drafted its declaration on the rights of man in 1236”           
Thursday, 24 July 2008

“All human beings have the right to life and the preservation of their physical integrity.” So reads one of the articles of the Charter of Kurukan Fuga, the African charter on human rights. An interview with historian, Djibril Tamsir Niane, who has just published this document.

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY CHÉRIF ELVALIDE SÈYE

Les Afriques: What is the Charter of Kurukan Fuga?

Djibril Tamsir Niane: The Charter of Kurukan Fuga comprises “decisions” and “recommendations” made by the assembly of allies that Soundjata gathered the day after his victory in Kirina which gave him the upper hand on Soumaoro Kante. The year was 1236. These decisions and recommendations collectively formed the basis of the legal system of the empire Soudjata created – the Empire of Mali.

LA: What does this represent for Africa?
DTN: The Charter of Mande acquits Africa of the charge of being a regressive, violent and static continent. One must overcome clichés and prejudice. The Charter of Mande teaches tolerance and brotherhood between clans and ethnic groups. The cohesion between community members seems to have been the foremost priority of the men and women that met at Kurukan Fuga. Implementing a system for conflict resolution was therefore the central objective: and so the practice of using jocular mockery and insults or jocular abuse* was institutionalised, as well as a patronymic system to create alliances between clans.

http://www.lesafriques.net/mali/africa-drafted-its-declaration-on-the-rights-of-man-in-1236.html?Itemid=35

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/56/56/38874847.pdf - The Charter of Kurukan Fuga
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: