Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 58 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Arts & Music (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Focus on creative industries - UN report tells J'can govt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Focus on creative industries - UN report tells J'can govt  (Read 7033 times)
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« on: February 22, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/Focus-on-creative-industries---UN-report-tells-J-can-govt_8396757
Focus on creative industries - UN report tells J'can govt
-------------- -------------------------- ----------------------- ------------------------- ------------------ ------------------
"In order for Jamaica and the Caribbean to survive in a globalised world, policymakers and stakeholders seeking economic growth and job creation must position the creative industries as the cornerstone of any serious development strategy," stated the 450-page report in an embedded case study on the island written by Andrea Davis founder of International Reggae Day. "The inherent entrepreneurial talent of Jamaicans has developed and sustained the country's creative product brands over the past fifty years without a proactive public policy, institutional infrastructure or formalised venture funding." - excerpt from article

I find this very insulting and echoes of some of the same old racist notions that Africans place in life is the use of their physical body and talents for the entertainment of others primarily Europeans. I say this based on the present structure of the music industry both in terms of ownership and control of distribution as well as in terms of market. Many of our artists  perform and sell primarily to Europeans facing serious challenges when they are no longer permitted to perform or sell to white audiences due to singing things which are not approved by them or other unapproved actions. This occurred with the situation where certain artists were singing lyrics which encouraged hate and violence against homosexuals, primarily male homosexuals [something which I am not in favour of].

Here they are saying to us that "creative industries" must be "the cornerstone of any serious development strategy". The UN for me seems to operate largely on the assumption of an indefinite continuation of European domination over non-European peoples and sees its job as teaching such peoples how to survive based on that assumption. With this conception Africans are seen as being predominantly suited to entertaining Europeans and earning them money through their talents and skills whether through sports or entertainment.

Our cultural arts seem to be treated in two ways in this present system. There is that which is deemed sale-able and this gets entry into industry dominated by European whether it be publishing for writers or the distribution of music both areas dominated by whites even where African art is concerned. Then there are those aspects of culture that are not deemed marketable. These remain subject to the destructive effectives of economic exploitation which destroys the communities where these exist and which sustain them. While they atrophy they make good fodder for anthropological studies.

I am hoping others can share here what alternative views they may have on this issue so that my view does not remain unnecessarily narrow if it is so.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: