Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25517 Posts in 9753 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 82 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Zaynab Abdullah Muhammad (Moderator: Zaynab)
| | |-+  "Journeying to Self Discovery"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Journeying to Self Discovery"  (Read 6148 times)
Zaynab

« on: April 10, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »

“Know yourself”? When I first heard this phrase and a while before that, I've pondered on the age old question. Who am I? I sat and waited for the answer to come like a stork bringing a baby. When that idea fell through, I did what any average human would. I started praying for the answer. I routinely said my prayers at night right before I got into bed. Still, nothing. I tried praying on my knees. No, change.
My prayer: Allah/God, I need to know who I am and what you will for my life. I had used the terms Allah and God interchangeably. I was no longer a practicing Muslim.
 The ‘ Islamic Community’ to which I belonged fell apart when I was eight. Since then I've just been floating, with no real compass (spiritually), but deep in my being, I always yearned for more, Knew there was more. I adopted from many teachings 'ideals' what I thought could compliment the person who I was at the time. I ventured from Islam to Hebrewism, Nuwaupu, Christianity, spending little time in any one place. So, here I am now trying to find myself, trying to learn about myself, still. I have been lost and to some extent, I still am.

Somehow, I wanted to believe that I could 'put it all in God's hands'. That ‘God works everything out’ and I needed to only ask. Well, I've been asking but getting no replies. I realize now that I have been going about my development the wrong way. I over-stand that I can no longer hide behind my ignorance and I can no longer take “a hands off approach” to my development. Imagine my difficulty now, not relying on a God to 'save' me or 'show me the path to salvation'. Having to do the work myself. It is indeed challenging, but I am willing to do the work it takes to learn (feel free to assist) and to actively shape my True Self. 

Make no mistake about it, there is a reason why "the road less travelled" is the longest road. Self-development is not a "walk in the park"( so I realized), nor a sunny walk through my past (not that easy). For me it is one of the more difficult things I have endeavored.

On my search for understanding as to how to "continually learn about yourself", I came across a dated thread on this forum. I got this understanding from it. To continually learn about yourself is not limited to learning about your attributes or what moves/drives you, but is also about identifying with all aspects that which has helped to shape who you are. Please explain further if I am not "hitting the nail on the head" or if I have not gotten the full understanding.
diyouth

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:55:03 AM »

Zaynab Muhammad,

you want to discover the self,
which means you haven't discovered or know of the self.
So if you don't know of that which you're looking for
you'll never find let alone recognize....

...and yet if you truly discover the self some day,
it is not like what you've heard, or read, else you would've discovered it before

with that said... i should ask why are you looking for self...why are you pondering Who am I?

Guidance
diyouth
Zaynab

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »

Diyouth,thank you for engaging my discussion. I apologise if my post was misleading. It had taken me a while to be certain but, I know who I am. A goddess, fashioned from the same essence as many goddesses before me.
I do not agree fully with your statement,"if you don't know of that which you're looking for you'll never find let alone recognize....'. To me, that is a misconception. Me not knowing exactly what I'm looking for does not mean, I won't find it. Maybe, as you stated, I may not recognise it ,but that all depends on my growth at that particular point in time.

However, to answer your questions:(1) I know there was more to me than what I was misled to believe, (2)Knowing who you are is the first step to self discovery. Therefore, knowing more about me is crucial in fully understanding and properly aligning with self.
Peace,Zaynab.
diyouth

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »

Zaynab, bless up, discussion is always welcome...

responding to your post and answers...

you say:
"Me not knowing exactly what I'm looking for does not mean, I won't find it."

and without contradiction i say:
Me not knowing exactly what I'm looking for does not mean, I will find it!

Both statements are true and deal with possibility; its possible to find, but not certain.

So would you agree that knowing exactly,
is akin to "full understanding" or being "properly aligned with self" as you've said?

Guidance
diyouth
Zaynab

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »

The possibility exists for both options yes, but is not limited to either statements.
Conventionally, seeking and knowing do go together i.e You seek that which you know you are trying to find. Example I lose my watch and go looking for it. However, that is not always the case.
If I had delayed/was contented not seeking truths because I didn't know what I was looking for yet, I'd have done my Self a dis-service. My reasoning would not have been of great/any benefit to me.

It is sometimes in our pursuit that we find what we are looking for.

In a perfect world, we would all know that which we thirst to discover and journey on/along that road. This world is far from that.

So to answer your question,no(not all times). It is possible to seek first, not knowing what you are looking for. It is when you find it that your journey to seek to fully understand it begins.
diyouth

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »

Lets put it this way.
You are your self and a 'serpent' comes along an sez
"yeah, but you don't know or exactly know yourself though,
fully understand and properly aligned with self..."

The serpent is right. We don't know.
However, included with that is a subtle suggestion that we are missing out on something...

...and that creates a burden as well as the task or journey to discover, find out;
of which was never there in the first place, because in the first place you simple are yourself!

If I had delayed/was contented not seeking truths because I didn't know what I was looking for yet, I'd have done my Self a dis-service. My reasoning would not have been of great/any benefit to me.

In my experiences, the thought that it would benefit me,
though at times it seemed so, it didn't change anything...
Because like the old saying, the more you know, the more you know there's more, you don't know...

So the feeling of missing out on something, couldn't go away; the frustration or burden lingers as much
as the thought that I don't know myself fully!

So this is why a question or put the spot light on the "journey of discovery", "full understanding".
Perhaps, just perhaps, these things are the actual problem or hindrance about self

Because given, that you are yourself already
like things in the dark, turning the light on doesn't change them.
In like manner, knowing, discovering, fully understanding doesn't add, take away or change self.

Yet the world inadvertently suggesting that it will, in affect, is bound to cause problems(Huh)

Guidance
diyouth

Zaynab

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »

Quite true, "the more you know, the more you know you don't know".Self discovery is almost like opening familiar doors into unfamiliar worlds.

It is very true for me, maybe others too. It is only when something is missing that you search for what is, to make you complete. Completeness to me is Self Awareness......emptiness is what causes that yearning to be filled.
I am me whether or not I take that journey to self discvery hence I understand your darkness to light metaphor but self discovery helps me to become a better/the truest me. Hence the importance of this journey.

Peace,
Zaynab
diyouth

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »

"emptiness is what causes that yearning to be filled."

True...this reminds me of a school-yard prank i an friends use to do...

We would walk up behind someone an just laugh whilst pointing at their back.
The person would turn around asking what we're laughing at.
We gave no answer, just laughed harder, following their back while pointing...
Then the person would scratch their back, twisting their shirt, trying get 'it'...
We just laugh even harder...
Then the person eventually goes to the washroom takes off shirt only to find, "nothing".
Then when the person comes back...i'm on the floor killing myself with laughter.
The person is laughing too, at the fact that it was all over nothing!
Then we all look for our next victim ...lol

Just like the world...it laughs at women if they don't have fashion sense or look a certain way. If you don't live a certain lifestyle, make a certain amount of money, have influence over a number of people...you're ridiculed in a sense as a nobody; empty; boring; insignificant.

The fact is, just like the prank, there's no evidence to validate the ridicule or emptiness; Instead only a 'pointing finger' as if that is evidence of emptiness; impetus of journey to be filled.

So when you say:
"self discovery helps me to become a better/the truest me. Hence the importance of this journey."

I don't understand this?
Unless the journey is relative to the worlds idea of self;
In the sense of preparing oneself in becoming successful, beautiful, etc. in the world.
In this way i understand...For it takes a kind of unwasted energy that is free, clear-minded to be successful or creative...which betters you in the sense of productivity, possessing inspirational qualities and more...

speaking of creative, keep writing poetry in the poetry section....we injoy reading...

Guidance
diyouth
Belle

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:06 AM »

To Zainab

I agree with when you say that "It is sometimes in our pursuit that we find what we are looking for."
 & to Diyouth I appreciate your reasoning on the journey to finding the Self. There is much to be learn from the journey.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: