Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
22937 Posts in 8430 Topics by 1384 Members Latest Member: - Duke Most online today: 69 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Once again - colorism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Once again - colorism  (Read 3000 times)
KiwNak
KiwNak

« on: November 30, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

I think more mixed 'race' and light skinned people should question what that means in today's society. As a dark skinned African female, I find my struggle reduced when light skinned Africans/blacks speak for all of us. ''as I’ve said before, mixed race folks have issues... racial constructions may now appear to be fact, but that’s because people of similar melanin count share similar social experiences.
And it is in this light, not in the ‘one-drop-rule’ light, that I am black. That is to say, people with my particular skin tone and genetic make up share the same ancestral history with those with two African or diaspora parents. We share the history of slavery, oppression and colonization. This history is a shared legacy of the black experience.'' http://www.msafropolitan.com/2011/01/what-being-mixed-race-has-taught-me.html

As much as we might share history, we do not necessarily carry the burdens similarly. Internalized white supremacy further divides us, creating privilege and more struggles for some 'black' people. The following article discusses an expression of white supremacy, colorism. There have been many great articles on this issue on this form, and this one adds a vital fact,that '' the people who are most hurt and victimised by colorism and/or have the temerity to identify it for what it is and call it out, are the ones most likely to be blamed for "creating" a problem or instilling disunity and so forth through the mere act of identifying colorism and its negative effects. If anything, they are seen as the creators of colorism and unnecessary divisiveness. This operates in much the same way that people who identify acts of racism or racist patterns or tendencies ARE the true 'racists' and are the actual source of or perpetrators of racism, seeking to fabricate the very thing that they are opposing...'' http://nykinora.livejournal.com/9284.html
News
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »

A thirteen year old girl sent us this YouTube video so we are adding it here for comments.

68. #TeamLightskin vs. #TeamDarkskin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: