Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 64 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Zimbabwe
| | |-+  US envoy condemns illegal sanctions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: US envoy condemns illegal sanctions  (Read 9703 times)
News
Admin

« on: April 16, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »

US envoy condemns illegal sanctions

President Mugabe receives cds from US envoy and former ambassador
to UN, Mr Andrew Young, at his Munhumutapa offices today

Farirai Machivenyika Senior Reporter
April 16, 2013 - herald.co.zw

CONFIDENCE in the MDC-T from its traditional supporters in the West continue to wane after the US State Department dispatched an envoy to Zimbabwe for talks to normalise relations with President Mugabe ahead of elections he is tipped to win.

Former US ambassador to the United Nations Mr Andrew Young today met President Mugabe at his Munhumutapa Offices to convey the message.

“The State Department has asked me to come visit and just to say that we have Zimbabwe in our hearts and that we would like to see relations with Zimbabwe resume as they were pre the problems,” he said.

Mr Young condemned the imposition of illegal sanctions on Zimbabwe by Western countries and urged Zimbabweans to be united in their adversities.

He said this soon after a two-hour meeting with President Mugabe at his Munhumutapa Offices.

“I should say I have never particularly approved of the sanctions personally but I have never been able to get rid of them.

“I think we have an administration now that is ready to move beyond sanctions but we need reassurance that Zimbabwe is as peaceful and as positive a society I think it is,” he said.

Mr Young who is a personal friend to President Mugabe also commended the empowerment drive and the land reform programme saying more support for the new farmers was needed to improve productivity.

“Well from what I know about it, it has been very successful but I know there is not enough seed, enough fertiliser but with help it can increase,” he said.

Mr Young supported President Mugabe and the late Vice President Joshua Nkomo in fighting colonialism and opposed the internal settlement of Ian Smith, Abel Muzorewa and Ndabaningi Sithole.

He played a pivotal role at the Lancaster House negotiations that brought country’s independence.

Spource: herald.co.zw
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: