Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Quotes (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Fables of Aesop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fables of Aesop  (Read 11675 times)
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« on: October 30, 2003, 07:19:16 PM »

The Flies and the Honey Pot
After a jar of honey was upset in a housekeeper's room, a number of flies were attracted by its sweetness and ate greedily. Their feet, however, became so smeared with the honey that they could not release themselves and were suffocated. Just as they were dying, they exclaimed, "Oh, we are foolish creatures - for the sake of a little pleasure we have thrown away our lives!"

Pleasure sometimes brings pain.

The Two Bags
According to an ancient legend, every man is born into the world with two bags suspended from his neck - a small bag kept in front, full of his neighbors faults, and a large bag held behind, filled with his own. Hence it is that men are quick to see the faults of others and yet are often blind to their own more numerous faults.

The Crab and its Mother
A Crab one day said to her son, "Why do you walk so crooked? It is far better to go straight." The young Crab replied, "Quite true, Mother; why don't you show me how?"

Example is more powerful than reproach.

The Mule
A Mule, silly from lack of work and too much corn, was showing off. He galloped about in a very extravagant manner, saying, "My mother was a high-minded racer, and I am her child in speed and spirit." The next day, being driven on a long journey and feeling very tired, the Mule exclaimed in a disconsolate tone, "Well my father, after all, was only an ass."

Every truth has two sides; it is best to look at both before committing oneself to either.

The Lion and His Three Councilors
The Lion called the Sheep to ask her if his breath smelled. She said yes, and he bit her head off for telling the truth. He called over the Wolf and asked the same question. The Wolf said no, and the Lion tore him to pieces for being a flatterer. At last he called the Fox and asked the question one more time. The Fox replied that he had a bad cold and could not smell.

The wise man says nothing in dangerous times.

The Wolf and the Horse
A Wolf coming out of a field of oats met a Horse and told him, "Take your supper in that field. It is full of excellent oats, which I have left for you untouched." The Horse replied, "If you wolves could eat oats, I doubt you'd be so happy to share your discovery."

Few thanks are due to those who give away what is of no use to them

The Hare and the Hound
A Hound chasing a Hare gave up after a long while. A Goatherd, who was watching, mocked the dog, saying the Hare was a better runner. "You don't see the difference," replied the Hound. "I was only running for my dinner. He was running for his life."

The Blind Man and the Whelp
A Blind Man could distinguish different animals by touching them with his hands. One day a baby wolf was brought to him, with a request that the Blind Man say what it was. He felt the creature and, being in doubt, said "I do not know whether your father was a fox or a wolf, but I know that I would not trust you among a flock of sheep."

Evil tendencies are shown early in life.

The Fox Who Lost His Tail
A Fox caught in a trap escaped but lost his tail in the struggle. Feeling self-conscious about his deficiency, he tried to make the other foxes follow his example. He called a meeting and advised them to cut off their tails, saying, "You have no idea of the ease and comfort with which I now move about." Upon this, one of the oldest stepped forward and said, "I'm sure, my friend, if you had any chance of recovering your own tail, you wouldn't be advising us to lose ours."

The Man and the Lion
A Man and a Lion were once traveling together through the forest, and soon each began to boast of his superior strength. As the dispute heated up, they passed a statue that showed a man strangling a lion. The Man pointed to it and said, "See! What more proof do you need?" The Lion replied, "This is your version of the story. If lions could erect statues, you would see twenty dead men under the paw of that lion."

Men are unreliable narrators of their own stories.

http://www.africawithin.com/aalit/aesop1.htm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: