Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25516 Posts in 9753 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 66 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Nkrumah Lucien (Moderator: Iniko Ujaama)
| | |-+  The Feeling of being Invisible
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Feeling of being Invisible  (Read 2358 times)
Iniko Ujaama

« on: July 31, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »

“...Recognition is what people call seeing...."  -The Healers, Ayi Kwei Armah

It is quite possible to be within sight even within someone's line of sight and not be seen by or visible to them, within earshot and speaking and yet not be heard etc. Further there is the how they see or hear you.

Although science explains to us the mechanical, sometimes chemical and neurological processes associated with how people see and hear it is possible to observe that they do not work that simply and that other factors impinge on persons being perceived. One may be in a room and this one person in the midst may go totally unseen or unnoticed by others and you can tell by the lack of response to their presence, the attention given to others and which never lands on that person even when they are in the line of sight or even when they may fit the description of what the seers eyes may be searching for.

Sometimes a group of persons come together(staff, family, group)to make some decision or thrash out some ideas and certain contributions may be repeated many times before they are heard by and entertained by decision makers because they have not yet come from the right mouth.

Not being recognized as existing to those around you can be like a form of death or still-birth. Facing a tide of recognition from others only based on their biases and prejudices while trying to present what you understand yourself to be can be close to drowning. Yet this describes the experiences of many persons in societies corrupted by various biases, historical distortions and personal and family dramas.

We often come to be aware of our existence through these lenses. More often than not we may cloak ourselves into what is perceivable so that we may be "seen" or recognized by others. Some become aware of the lack of truth in this existence as they have been condition to recognize it and seek to express something deeper.

Then we are faced with some serious questions

Who do we most want to see, hear, recognize us? Are they able to see or hear us as we feel ourselves to be? 
Kairi
KS

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »

Greetings!

Perhaps not being seen by those around you would be like a form of death or still birth.  Is it a bad thing?  Death is a necessary part of rebirth no?  

I'm thinking though, how can people who are ego-oriented/based be expected to see anything but the reflection of themselves and their conditions in others?  They cannot possibly perceive past their own limitations and therefore it is understandable that I will not be seen except through various distortions depending on the individual looking at me.  Partially because of this, I don't feel that I'm responsible for how others perceive me and I understand that they are in stages of their evolution which I've already passed through, this encourages me to be patient.  My subsequent invisibility is therefore understandable and even natural.

Furthermore I don't think there was ever recognition [of me] from said people to begin with, only familiarity with their own opinions.  I can't impose my understanding of who I am on anyone.    I can only assert myself by manifesting my principles in my words and actions.  How others choose to interpret me, that is their prerogative.  

However, as the saying goes, it is human to want to belong somewhere and we have been conditioned to validate ourselves through the approval of others.  I feel that self development with the goal of increasing one's consciousness involves the recognition that one can do better for oneself than give in to those baser urges which have been conditioned into us from birth.  I don't think that approaching the question from the perspective of wanting others to see you, the real you is correct since this suggests the need for personal approval/validation from external forces is still there.  To me, the real challenge lies in learning how to direct one's reasoning power towards validating one's self exclusively, independent of the external influences that abound on the material plane.  
Iniko Ujaama

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »

I don't think that approaching the question from the perspective of wanting others to see you, the real you is correct since this suggests the need for personal approval/validation from external forces is still there.  To me, the real challenge lies in learning how to direct one's reasoning power towards validating one's self exclusively, independent of the external influences that abound on the material plane.

I agree with you about approaching it from the perspective of wanting others to see one. It is indeed challenging working through these influences on the material and other planes.

Nakandi
KiwNak

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »

Greetings Kairi.

To me, the real challenge lies in learning how to direct one's reasoning power towards validating one's self exclusively, independent of the external influences that abound on the material plane.  

How does one know that one's thinking in the self validation is free of external influences? What would one base their validation on?
Kairi
KS

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »

Greetings KiwNak!

I don't know that my thoughts on the topic are correct; I can only offer my reasoning to show another perspective.

Self validation is supposed to be just that – the reasoned ability to calculate, define and accept one's personal value subject to one's individual moral/ethical matrix without resorting to reliance (be it automatic or deliberate) on what others in the form of family, community, wider society may use in measurement to define one.  It’s not about refusing to give a damn (to use a popular colloquial term) what others think, its about taking a self-controlled and decisive stance in determining your own worth through conscious reasoning.  If one is reasoning properly, then how could you not know what you are feeding your thoughts and to what extent you might be weighing/applying the input of others?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: