Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Nr of sexual partners and evolutionist theory
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nr of sexual partners and evolutionist theory  (Read 14629 times)
Nakandi
KiwNak

« on: July 09, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »

I recently came across an article that stated that males are intrinsically inclined to have many sexual partners, as opposed to females, because they were biologically designed to spread their genetic material. I have come across this theory on many occasions, and I felt unease by it. This time around I decided to dig into this uneasiness.

To me, it sounds like europatriachal pseudoscience that serves to make females mere tools for male genetic propagation. If half of one's genome comes from each parent, therefore sex, why would it be said that only one sex is intrinsically inclined to spreading their genetic make-up?

Is there truth to this claim that implies that females are not concerned with the continuity of their genetic material?
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »

Is the article online? Could you post a link?
Nakandi
KiwNak

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »

I am not able to retrieve the article as it was in a book I accidentally came across that is not in my possession. However, it referenced David Buss - The Evolution of Desire (which I have not completed myself). Here is a link to the aforementioned book: David M. Buss- The Evolution of Desire
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »

males are intrinsically inclined to have many sexual partners, as opposed to females, because they were biologically designed to spread their genetic material

While I do not have a problem with persons(male and female) having many sexual partners, what you made reference to makes the assumption on the biological function of spreading genes. It makes the assumption that THE purpose of sex is reproduction and uses that to explain why males as opposed to females should be intrinsically inclined to have multiple partners. I don't agree with this (un)reasoning. Sex can be and is driven by various things outside of physical reproduction where this would not apply.
Nakandi
KiwNak

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »

I have to admit that I had (unintentionally) accepted that the sole purpose of sex is reproduction, while reading the theory.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: