Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  INDIA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Indian Perspectives (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab, Nakandi)
| | |-+  A Filmmaker Makes A Time-Lapse Video Breaking Stereotypes about India
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Filmmaker Makes A Time-Lapse Video Breaking Stereotypes about India  (Read 7312 times)
Alana
AL

« on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

Breaking stereotypes in India article here http://www.buzzfeed.com/andreborges/not-all-snake-charmers

Arjun Menon, a 25-year-old filmmaker currently living in Mumbai, is on a mission to change the world’s perceptions of India.

As the child of an army officer, he grew up all around the country and studied at more than 13 schools. “My (late) father made sure we explore places all around us, my childhood memories involve a lot of traveling to lesser known beautiful places,” he explained. “I think this is the reason I decided to be a “travel” photographer soon after I got my degree in Life Sciences, which still sits locked up, collecting dust.”
In order to make this video, Arjun travelled India for 4 months and collected over 2 million images

“I funded my idea by shooting weddings,” he told BuzzFeed in an email. “My project involved months of travel to some stunning natural and architectural wonders in India… The locations here vary from Spiti Valley in the Himalayas to the beaches of Andaman Islands, Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) from North Eastern India to the Taj Mahal in Agra.”
During his travels, Arjun had had the opportunity to explore India like few others have, from living with monks for 9 days at a monastery in Spiti Valley, to sleeping under the stars in Gette – one of the highest villages in the world.

“As I entered the industry, I was bombarded by images and visuals which lead us to follow a stereotype, those with bullock carts, snake charmers and poverty all around,” he said.
“I always thought there is another side to the story as well and wanted to concentrate my effort to change this conventional perception. This series is my first attempt (hopefully many more to come) at showing that there is much more to India.”

Watch the video in full here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgLRC0M0NmY

For more of Arjun Menon’s work, follow him on Facebook or visit his website at http://www.artleavesamark.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: