Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Implicit bias: Is everyone racist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Implicit bias: Is everyone racist?  (Read 13808 times)
Nakandi
KiwNak

« on: August 20, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

Implicit bias: Is everyone racist?
5 June 2017

"Few people openly admit to holding racist beliefs but many psychologists claim most of us are nonetheless unintentionally racist. We hold, what are called "implicit biases". So what is implicit bias, how is it measured and what, if anything, can be done about it?"

Full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40124781
Nakandi
KiwNak

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »

My 'implicit bias' against black people
Clarence Page

"I don't dislike all black people. Most of us are fine.

When people tell me they are surprised to hear that I don't like all black people, I remind them of how little African-Americans were exposed — until recent decades — to positive images of themselves in media and elsewhere.

I think my condition began at age 4. My parents broke the news that I could not go to the amusement park near our southern Ohio home because it did not admit "colored people."

I didn't know it at the time, but it was the beginning of my re-education in being part of an underprivileged class of Americans. Almost everywhere I looked, I saw images of white people achieving things and black people singing, dancing or getting arrested.

The world has changed a lot since then, thanks largely to the hard-won victories of the civil rights revolution. But black self-hatred is not dead, even in this era of a half-black president; it has merely diversified."

Full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/page/ct-implicit-bias-police-kaine-pence-blacks-perspec-1009-jm-20161007-story.html
Nakandi
KiwNak

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »

Black-on-Black Racism: The Hazards of Implicit Bias
THEODORE R. JOHNSON  DEC 26, 2014

"Too often, racism is seen as a social phenomenon that happens to black people. But it happens through black people as well. That is, the negative associations thrust upon black people and black culture can color how we black people view each other. Blacks and whites receive the same narratives and images that perpetuate stereotypes of black criminality and flippancy while synonymizing white culture with American values. It is to be expected that there will be an observable impact on black intragroup perceptions."

Full article: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/12/black-on-black-racism-the-hazards-of-implicit-bias/384028/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: