Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Absolute Monarchy vs Constitutional Monarchy Which is better for Government?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Absolute Monarchy vs Constitutional Monarchy Which is better for Government?  (Read 16715 times)
DMayers

« on: August 21, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »

Absolute monarchy, or despotic monarchy, is a form of monarchy in which one ruler has supreme authority and where that authority is not restricted by any written laws, legislature, or customs. These are often, but not always, hereditary monarchies.

In constitutional monarchies, the head of state's authority derives from and is legally bounded or restricted by a constitution or legislature.
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »

By what criteria are you assessing either as better? Persons have varying standards of what they consider good governance.
DMayers

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »

The criteria are:
1) Transparency-"The implication of transparency is that all of an organization’s actions should be scrupulous enough to bear public scrutiny"

2) Accountability-"The implication of accountability deals with how public institutions conduct public affairs and manage public resources, accountability is also an assurance that an individual or an organization will be evaluated on their performance or behavior related to something for which they are responsible."

3) Rule of Law-" The implication of rule of law is in the context that no branch of government is above the law, and no public official may act arbitrarily or unilaterally outside the law. Also no written law may be enforced by the government unless it conforms with certain unwritten, universal principles of fairness, morality, and justice that transcend human legal systems"
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »

I will examine the first two criteria which you point out above. Your first does not seem to be dealing primarily with transparency per say but rather that the actions of the government be scrupulous. This can be married with the second which is accountability i.e the government should act in the best interest of the society or population and can be held responsible for their actions. Both can be achieved under either system and both can and have been corrupted in various places and points in history. The fact that people vote for their representatives within a constitutional monarchy or in Western Style democracy generally does not prevent that system from being manipulated by corporate business or by corrupt politicians, nor does it necessarily prevent that system from perpetuating backward prejudices and narrow agendas.

With regard to the rule of law I will take the latter part of your statement as the general spirit of what you are communicating (you can correct me if it is not), that the government general acts with fairness, justice and morality. Again here I do not think this is unique to a particular system or is assured simply by having one particular system in place. Also I will add that laws in and of themselves do not assure fairness on the whole in a society. In many of our societies ideas of morality are dominated by classist, sexist, racist and other prejudiced ideas that often contribute to unfairness and injustice.

DMayers

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

Yes. Thanks. I was satisfied with both of those answers. So we need to avoid prejudice...and have integrity. So Does not matter what types or what number of systems we use. It all comes down to us. Thanks again for helping me out!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: