Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 31 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Special Reasonings Archive
| | |-+  TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE BOARD: FORWARD AFRICA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE BOARD: FORWARD AFRICA?  (Read 17481 times)
RasBenjamine

RastafariSpeaks .com

« on: July 08, 2003, 01:47:48 PM »

I have asked myself and many of my bredrens in Africa and the Caribbean, WHY is Africa still presently in a mess even though we are “free”? WHY can’t we as Africans unite? What can we as Rastas do for Africa?

I would like to make a discourse on this. But before I do I will like to hear InI opinions from ones on this board. InI hope this tread will indeed lead us to overstand the symptoms and also offer some practical solutions .
Give Thanks

Each one to teach one. Respect and sincerity is the key to reasoning.

All opinions welcome.

Ras Benjamin

Only when InI bestirs ourself can we advance spiritually.

The man who uses ready made opinions of others, only walks his path as if on crutches,while ignoring his own healthy limbs
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 02:43:09 PM »

"WHY can't we as Africans unite?"

Brainwashing by European concepts of Religion and academia that lacks indigenous perspectives. Because of this most Africans are unable to reconcile their beliefs with that of other groups even within the African community. Economic instability is the reason many are fearful to look outside of their immediate wants and needs. Peer pressure to act a certain way to get along.

Many still view the world through the eyes and definitions of the European colonizers. So they cannot contribute to the development of anywhere in a meaningful.

"What can we as Rastas do for Africa?"

To start with, Africans have to develop a high level of respect for themselves. This calls for developing integrity while revisiting many indigenous African ways of doing things so they can take from them what is suitable today. In this regard they will see that many of the ancient practices had relevance at a particular time of a group's need to survive and all these different practices reflect that. They should learn to discern and take only what is needed and not to disrespect what they believe they do not need.

This way when they trek to African either mentally or spiritually they will have full respect for what they find and will only utilize what is necessary for them and help others when they ask. They will not go back like European missionaries who feel that they alone have the answers to life or that their way is the only way.

If they can do this then they can live among all manner of people and can support development works in Africa as they see its value for survival.
RasBenjamine

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 04:07:25 PM »

Greetings Ayinde,

I do believe you have also raised a few key ideas in your reply. One of which is "academia that lacks indigenous perspectives". True speech!!! Nothing could be further from the truth. We as Africans will often rather wait for the the West to validate homegrown ideas before adapting them for our benefit,little wonder why the "master" seldoms validates worthy ideas!!!

Another key point you raised "Economic instability is the reason many are fearful to look outside of their immediate wants and needs. Peer pressure to act a certain way to get along."

Again this seems to be a problem i witnessed whilst growing up under very rough/tough conditions back in Africa. Since my arrival in Europe i noticed that most of my black idrens seems to openly condemn Africa and really want nothing to do with Africa despite being highly successful (financially) here in Europe. Most idrens seem to believe such sucess cannot be replicated back home in Africa, why?

i believe we are equal to any other race contrary to popular opinions. At the individual level, given reasonable opportunity, we as Africans are comparable to the other races in both talents and attributes. This is evidenced by the large number of thriving black people in all areas of human endeavours (from business, to the arts, science and technology, etc) albeit mostus may be in Diasporas. What then is the problem? Why are we backward as communities, groups and nations? The answer could maybe that we Afriacans  find it difficult to work as a ‘group’, it will be wrong to say we are incapable of working as a group. It is this individualism or intolerance for group cooperation and defence that is probably responsible for the break-up of we Africans into incredibly large number of ethnic nationalities. It is also probable that this same factor, as well, made and still makes us vulnerable to external forces of ‘divide and rule’. It may therefore also probably explain why we were (and still are) the ones most susceptible to slavery (mental or physical) and to oppression as suggested by historical and contemporary facts.

Why do we find it difficult to work as a group? Anwers are many, but i believe one of this could be the need to outsmart one another to the detriment of ourselves, others,community, family and nations at large (self-seeking). This could be due to a lack of understanding of the laws governing creation.

We particularly in Nigeria are able to function in little groups- tribes, community, villages, but on a national level why can’t we function?

The need to outwit each other to the detriment of others is what concerns me here. The hypothetical model is something like this: imagine a family where every individual is trying to outwit the other, extend this to villages where every family is trying to outmanoeuvre the other; further extend this to a situation where every village want to out-smart the other; keep extending this scenarios to every town, every dialectic groups; every ethnic group, every local government area, every state; every nations; et cetera. The cumulative effect of this ‘excessive’ internal struggle is best described by the saying ‘ a house divide against itself can not stand’. It cannot stand (effectively) against slavery (economic, mental or physical), external manipulation or oppression

Respect and UNITY are some key factors that will ultimately play keys role in forwarding Africa.
Selah
Ras Benajamine

Only when InI bestirs ourself can we advance spiritually.

The man who uses ready made opinions of others, only walks his path as if on crutches,while ignoring his own healthy limbs
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 11:33:55 AM »

Why do we find it difficult to work as a group?

There is more to this but I just wish to expand this reasoning.

###

For a long time, Africans as a whole have not been able to work together as a cohesive group. It should be noted that what held most ancient African societies relatively stable for long periods, was the common values. Although groups of Africans migrated to different regions, they however lived in environments where survival was dependant on both hunting and gathering. This allowed for the participation of both the male and female in their day-to-day survival. This also allowed their historical stories and values to remain relevant to their daily survival.

So there was much that held the people relatively stable and although people were traded among different communities under a type of servitude, they did not get that sense of alienation, as the underlying values were the same. (Respect for elders, children, not rewarding greed, reasoning to solve issues etc.)

Islam then other European invasions made personal greed fashionable. Although many Africans remained close to the land, much labour was utilized in constructing monuments to the fantasies of others. So there was a dislocation, a moving away from the direct Male/Female partnership that ensured survival. In some groups/tribes males were reserved to protect the group and this placed a heavier burden on females who labored more to take care of families. The high mortality rate among males who were relegated to defending territories also fuelled changes in relationships.

Islamic and European invasions/influences played down the importance of women and disrupted traditional values in Africa.

So today most Africans do not have a central binding thesis that makes them able to relate above cultural/ideological differences. Most people hold on to recent traditions where the values or lack thereof reflect their disconnection from our ancestors and their historical struggle to survive in environments where males became dominant in feeding and protecting the family.

Having existed for a longer period away from the Male/Female partnership model for direct survival affected how Europeans and many Far East Asians viewed themselves. Their concepts of divinity became further removed from their day-to-day reality.

Africans today are heavily influenced by many external factors.

Nature does not return people/things to the same material state that it evolved from. Groups of people evolved differently in different environments and the separateness that existed then was of a natural consequence.

People forced many other people away from their ancestors and values and that is the cause of most world conflicts. These are manmade problems that require real humans to address them.

Any attempt by some people to force others to return to distinct racial groups will never work either. It cannot for the simple fact that people today can communicate across racial lines and they have the ability to forge alliances in many ways.

Having said this, any attempt to force people to get along based on someone’s illusion of a rainbow people will be wrought with conflict and distrust. This conflict and distrust is especially so because people were forced in tolerate differences against their natural/conscious desires to accept differences based on their need to survive.

The way forward that is quite natural is through conscious development, as only in this way people would be building on the best of our common values and not solely the external man made pressures.

Victims of Muslim/European excesses would find it easier to grasp the truth of conscious development. It is not like if anyone have to tailor or distort the truth to appease Africans for the processes to work. Victims have the greater capacity to adapt to higher ideals.

Conscious development mandates a high amount of integrity (both words and actions) together with a genuine understanding of our historical relationships, values, and conflicts. Only in addressing this would people who choose this path realize the legitimacy of all people and build on it.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 01:14:02 AM »

Posted by: RasBenjamine
I have asked myself and many of my bredrens in Africa and the Caribbean, WHY is Africa still presently in a mess even though we are "free"? WHY can't we as Africans unite? What can we as Rastas do for Africa?  

KING BENJAMINE, the reason why AfriKans can't UNITE is because not enough Blacks, AfriKans want it. You ask WHY? We are used to be treated badly. It's become normal. So our people think we deserve this. Until we TRULY want it, nothing is going to happen!

How do we solve this? Every little thing we have to analyze. The way we view ourselves and how as AFRIKANS we are supposed to be. Understand that everything Europeans do and live is NOT the best way for Afrikans. The things we need to do is reconstruct the High Moral and spiritual values of Ancient Afrikan society and generate the common vision of our RIGHT to be in Control and of our FATE.

But until the majority of Afrikans come to this point, Discrimination based on Race will happen.

Bantu-Kelani.

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
ROOTSWOMAN

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 09:50:58 AM »

Posted by: RasBenjamine
I have asked myself and many of my bredrens in Africa and the Caribbean, WHY is Africa still presently in a mess even though we are "free"? WHY can't we as Africans unite? What can we as Rastas do for Africa?

Brothah Ayinde and Sistah Bantu-Kelani have given forth excellent reasonings, and covered alot of ground, so I'll keep my reasonings short.

First thing I'd like to say is that though some of us, as individuals, are "free" in the sense that we have, and continue to unplug from the european Matrix, freeing ourselves from mental slavery, the GLOBAL AFRIKAN VILLAGE (all First World Peoples) are not COLLECTIVELY FREE.  As the saying goes...if my brothaz and sistaz are not free...I am not free.

Secondly, and due to many many factors resulting in CENTURIES of living under a Global Racist System/Matrix, Afrikan People have been ingrained with the FEAR of UNITING. Not to mention the fact that many of our people are not aware of the Afrikan Presence/Family WORLDWIDE.  Our vision has been LIMITED, and many of us sight ourselves and our place in the world through BLUE (tunnel vision) EYES.  Many of us are still disconnected from the Voice/Guidance of the Ancestors, disconnecting us from past, therefore LIMITING our vision of the future.

As we have been anesthecized to the natural and divine birthright of SELF DEFENCE, many of us are too busy tryin to "make it" up THEIR IVORY TOWER, blinded to the fact that this "tower" was never intended for us.  Too busy tryin to make it to that "lily white heaven", forgetting that our "tower" is the Ancestral Knowledge of SELF.  Once we begin climbing this INNER TOWER of self knowledge, we will begin connecting to COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS, and the idea of FREEING the Afrikan Peoples worldwide becomes more conceivable.

And lastly, we have come to FEAR the "REPONSE-ABILITY" (responsibility) of being "FREE".  Freedom comes with a price, a price which has rendered this earth soggy with the blood of Afrikan Peoples.  This fear is so deeply ingrained, that many of us would rather continue to be plugged into the european Matrix, rather then face the responsabilities of being FREE.

ROOTS

SANKOFA!
ROOTSWOMAN

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 09:55:07 AM »

ARE YOU REALLY READY?

Posted By: ROOTSWOMAN
Date: 23, May 02, at 10:01 p.m.

Royal Afrikan Greetings,

I write this post in lieu of some of the reactions and wordsounds which InI have sighted on this forum as well as throughout the Diapora. Rastafari, being a PAN AFRIKAN movement (culturally and spiritually), and being in the forefront of Repatriation, should be the LAST to have a ROMEanticized view of Afrika. But such is not the case. Ones and ones like to chant “Afrika for the Afrika” and Repatriation, yet seem to be setting themselves up for a RUDE AWAKENING as many still hold fast to very westernized ideas and perspectives in regards to TRADITIONAL AFRIKA.

What about those that consider some of our Traditions as being “sinful”, like polygamy, science, woman walking around in their natural attire? (not always fully clothed) What will these Idren do upon returning to the Mother Land? Chant Fiyah pon polygamy? Chant Fiyah pon Afrikan Science? Chant Fiyah pon some sistahz who are not headwraped and not wearing skirts below their knees? Chant fiyah pon those who have traditional scarification and tattoos?

WHAT WILL MAKE THESE IDREN ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE EUROPEAN MISSIONARIES WHO HAVE DEEMED TRADITIONAL AFRIKA AS “SINFUL”, “PAGAN” and “IDOL WORSHIPPERS” COMPLETELY MISDEFINING, MISUNDERSTANDING AND MISINTERPRETING MAMA-AFRIKA?

ARE YOU REALLY READY FOR AFRIKA?

Or is it that you feel you will be able to “CONVERT” our brothahz and sistahz to King Jamesian thought and behavior? Are you going to bring the same western poison as did the western man, but feel somehow better because this time the poison is being administered by Black hands? What really will make YOU any different than those who have gone before you and MISUNDERSTOOD our Mother Land and rich traditions?

So many Afrikan Descendants have repatriated in the past…only to look down upon our traditional brothaz and sistahz…only to build a replica of the west…this time with an Afrikan “setting/backround.” So many have either failed or been destructive to our Afrikan Family on the Continent. IS THIS THE SAME FATE THAT RASTAFARI SONS AND DAWTAHS WILL FACE?

How can you truly wish to repatriate to a land which you consider its traditions as being “sinful” Why not stay in the west which has taught you these notions and in which you can comfortably share the same sentiments with other westernized “brothers and sisters” WHY DO YOU REALLY WANT TO REPATRIATE? Coz it sounds good in reggae songs? Coz you feel you can “change” Afrika to suit your western ideals? Coz you wish to tote your bible and teach the scriptures? WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS IN WISHING TO REPATRIATE?

I ask these questions because I continue to sight this type of thought system among Rastafari Sons and Dawtahz and feel so terribly concerned that we will be doing nothing short of regurgitating the same westernized ideals unto our Afrikan Family….and that my beloved Idren….would be nothing less than a SHAME and CURSE upon our Ancestors.

If Traditional Afrika is not for you…so “sinful” and “against Jah Word”…than what exactly are you expecting in your repatriative efforts? What are YOU going to do to mend the broken body of Mama-Afrika? Or will you return to spit in her face with your western (ingrained) behavior?

Eh?

ROOTS

SANKOFA!
benja

Hail the I

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 04:28:54 PM »

Hear hear...

After living in Africa for a year, that was one of the impressions that I came home with. I feel that a lot of Pro-African brothers and sisters don't really focus their energies on Africa in a realistic way. Yes, there is the whole spiritual dimension of Africa, culture and everything, but many folks seem to just see it as this super-spiritual place that you have to go back home to similar to if you were to disappear into the clouds.  (ie no practical sense of what to do when you get there.)

The thing is, when you get there, you've got to DO something. You need skills, abilities, contributions if you're going to be able to address your life situation and that of those around you. OK, its one thing to be a carpenter, salesperson, etc. but Africa needs international policy makers, (righteous) economists, and people who can contribute to the healing of the nations.

I guess I see this as part of the whole ROMEantisaztion of Africa as well. I support completely the idea of repatriation, Jah knows they stole so much from Africa, its time to take it from the West and use it to build Africa. You can't work to this goal if you just see Africa as the solution without any problems. WE have to be the solution (we being those who care about Africa, whether in Africa or abroad.)

Ites...

Check out Iman Selection for free online at:
http://www.totallyradio.com/show_pages/shows.php?show=76
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 12:12:39 AM »

I agree with you ROOTSWOMAN Smiley !
Blacks, Afrikans, Rastas in the Diaspora have Mountains to climb and Valley's to cross before they can entertain thought of an EXODUS!

Before we can GO BACK TO AFRIKA we need to get ourselves straight wherever we are in the West. We have quite a bit of work to do before we can Exodus, if that's someone's choice...Physical Repatriation to Afrika is not necessary to the struggle for our FREEDOM but the mental and SPIRITUAL REPATRIATION is. I think this is paramount to the realization of Racial Equality for Afrikans in Afrika and in the Diaspora.

Bantu-Kelani.

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
scootah

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 01:24:58 PM »

Very sound reasoning and great ideas Rootswoman! Add to this the fact that there are MANY cultures in Africa and to state that one is going back to Africa can be misleading at the least. What group of people will the repatriation be to? How will your presence effect and be effected? Also know that there are and have been ancestral rivalries amongst various local societies of african peoples, sadly these divisions were used against african people by greedy europeans and to a sence still are manipulated to this day. How will the repatriated fit in to that matrix.

The point is that Africa is not simple in the slightest, and to have the fantasy that African are the same culture needs to be burst as well, this must be done long before any unification efforts can ever work. Look at Liberia, Sudan DRC, Cote D'Ivorie, Nigeria, etc. Perhaps a good start would be for Africans to redisign the European created teritorial boundraries to better reflct the cultural lands of the societis living there as opposed to forcing divergent ones with rivalries to coexist.

I must continue this at later time, Work calls :/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: