Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Media Watch (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Moore Stayed Quiet About Prisoner Footage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moore Stayed Quiet About Prisoner Footage  (Read 8662 times)
Oshun_Auset

« on: June 15, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »

Moore Stayed Quiet About Prisoner Footage

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=161223

The Associated Press

Filmmaker Michael Moore had footage of prisoner abuse in Iraq long before the atrocities captured international attention, but decided to stay quiet until his new movie came out. Now he's questioning that decision.

"I had it months before the story broke on '60 Minutes,' and I really struggled with what to do with it," Moore told the San Francisco Chronicle.

"I wanted to come out with it sooner, but I thought I'd be accused of just putting this out for publicity for my movie. That prevented me from making maybe the right decision."

Moore captured the footage for his documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," which debuts in theaters nationwide June 25. It shows an American soldier fondling a prisoner's genitals through a blanket. Soldiers also laugh and pose for photos while putting hoods over Iraqi detainees.

"The stuff with the detainees in my movie is even more shocking than what we saw in that prison because it happens outdoors and is more commonplace," Moore said.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival in May. It is critical of President Bush's response to the Sept. 11 attacks and ties him to Osama bin Laden's family.

The film created controversy, and intense interest, when Disney Chairman Michael Eisner said he wouldn't let the film be distributed. Lions Gate Films, IFC Films and the Fellowship Adventure Group are now handling its distribution. It will be in 700 theaters, the largest opening for a Moore film.

Forward to a united Africa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: