Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 77 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  It's legal now..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's legal now..  (Read 14160 times)
Jahse

Roots

« on: May 19, 2004, 12:37:29 PM »

This week in His-Story is the anniversary of the court decision, Brown v/s Board of Education. If we do not know already, this court decision over ruled the "Seperate but Equal" Act back in the 1800's. And made it "legal" for "Blacks and Whites" to attend the same schools in Amerikkka. It was a long and difficult struggle in the U.S at that time as the newly found freedom of African Americans was beginning to unfold. Before this decision white folks had their own schools and us black folks were given the second rate, hand me down school. But, handed from whom.... the same people who slaughterd, burned, lynched, raped, and brain-washed us "black folks" so that we remained separate, inferior dependants. Then, the struggle was serious.. our grandmothers and fathers really wanted the acceptance of the colonial oppressors?! Or maybe we had other motives... As a child I too attended these schools that were originally for the white majority where I was the minority bused in from the other side of town. Trying to infiltrate into a system that was not designed for me to succeed let alone learn anything closely related to Black people. They were teaching European history and European holidays way before I got there so you think they are going to make a change now because we have to be allowed in their school? I think not. So my education.. (well that's a whole new post) Now, I see that there are still segregated schools one is called a "private school" where the price is a price and the others are public, yet the public schools still are segregated in a way. I see all black schools where not one European attends.  :-/ but, its still run and funded by white Amerikkka hun? I say this to pose a question.. should our freedom fighters have been fighting for our liberated all African schools with African teachers, Black students, Black Culture, and Black History? Or was it a good goal to want the oppressors to accept us into their schools? So that we would have a "better" education. How would the U.S be if there were all Black schools (for real). I say we'd be producing some powerful youth. So, on this anniversary I must give thanks for the brave and diligent freedom fighters of our time and still ask, is that the goal.. Acceptance, Intergration?  I'll continue to reason within I gates knowing that the struggle is ongoing........

Ises  
preach

Roots

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:01:57 PM »

Thanks for the post. In response to your question, yes. Integrating the school system only gave us a limited amount of power. We were allowed to attend schools with whites but we were still denied certain privileges after arriving. Actually I believe that integrating the school system was used as a means of pacification. What we really needed was complete control of our own schools and substantial funds to insure a quality afrikan education. But giving us exactly what we needed would've alotted us too much power and independence. Integration put us in a position where we could be watched and influenced in a controlled evironment(sp).

love
emmanuel

Roots

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 08:11:54 PM »

Integration...only to their specifications...The Panthers had the right intentions...then they were outlawed...the rest is history...

Black to Black in Unity
RASNUBIAN

Roots

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 08:37:46 AM »

WHEN WE TRADED THERE SCHOOLS FOR OURS, WE TRADED OUR MINDS FOR THEIRS. AND YOU CAN SEE THE FRUIT THAT THAT TREE BEARED. Angry

BLACK POWER!!
Jahse

Roots

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 01:27:12 PM »

Greetings,
        So was the struggle in vain? We will never truely know how it will be to have remained separate. I suppose it would have never worked because "The wicked carried us away in captivity" and required of us a song of Zion, but how can we sing our song in a strange land by these rivers of Babylon. We have to be in and on our own soli/land in order for such power to arise.?! Everything becomes a hand-me-down unless We manifest and foster it ourselves. How can we reach the future, our youth,  if they are caught in this intergrated but not equal opprtunity education slapped DOWN from our oppressors? It seems like our freedom fighters would have been like, "Naw! I don't want to be with them do you know what they've done to us, why sit up in their faces as if nothing has Ever happened". But that wasn't the case. We/They longed for acceptance in the false name of freedom. So, must we give thanks for the brainwashers allowing us to live amoungst them legally :-/ hummmm? Still reasoning. I agree with ya all!!!
                                                    Ises
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 12:54:03 PM »

This brings up a good question. Is it better to truly be "seperate but equal" as ruled in the Plessy v. Ferguson case, so that InI can live seperately than oppressors, but still recieve the same level of education by our own teachers; or is it better for everyone, no matter who they are, to be educated in the same way, by both our teachers, and theirs?

one luv,
legacy

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: