Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 64 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Exploitation of Rastafari's name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exploitation of Rastafari's name  (Read 23592 times)
Jendayi

« on: April 16, 2006, 08:10:46 AM »

The exploitation of Rastafari's name

WHILE REASONING WITH my brethren, Randy f*gan, the other day, it dawned on me; Rastafari must be the most exploited and abused religion in this world.

To make matters worse, every locks-head man seems to have a personalised doctrine and individual interpretation of Rastafari. And most times the doctrine is based on nothing more than the effect of a high grade spliff. Yes, I know I may upset a few zealots, but dem coulda "fire bun" till thy kingdom come, truth is truth.

I once spoke to a rasta with long locks, who didn't even care about the Nazarene vow; he rationalised his decision to stop combing his hair with the argument that a verse in the Bible says "we have all sinned and comb short of the glory of God."

Many Jamaican performing artistes treat the name of Rastafari like a toilet - something you use for your personal convenience and then walk away from it when you no longer need it. Yeah, many wannabe reggae personalities don't have a clue about Rasta, but they grow locks and wear red, gold and green costumes because they figure it will make them more commercially viable. Judgement pon dat.

According to Randy, a brother starting a T-shirt line in New York, he makes sure that he puts arrangements in place to get permission and pay for the use of the images of the well-known reggae stars he will use on his shirts. Good. But, he also has many shirts with the image of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie; and for that, nobody gives permission and nobody gets paid. Why? OK, maybe they feel that The Almighty don't need money, but every church collects offering, and uses some of it to help the poor and suffering of the world. So why every self proclaimed Rastafarian feels he or she has the right to sell images of the emperor and his family for personal commercial gain, without any consideration to giving back something to the Royal Family, or to the poor people of Ethiopia? Who owns the copyright on Rasta?

Recently, I happened to catch an episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show highlighting some wonderful work that Oprah did in Ethiopia with women who are suffering and I felt ashamed for my Rastafarian brethren. Why? Many have the means to do just as much, but are busy blinging out, or hard at work burning 'b....cat' and condemning 'chi-chi man'. I felt embarrassed on behalf of the bandwagonists who wave the Ethiopian national flag at every stage show, but don't give a d**n about the people of Ethiopia. Can you count the number of reggae songs that glorify Ethiopia? But ask the singers about life in Ethiopia. Most don't know and the rest don't care.

I also understand that certain big-name entertainers chant Rastafari name but declined the invitation to perform in Ethiopia for Marley's birthday, because the money wasn't right. Compare that with Bob Marley who refused to take any payment for performing at Zimbabwe's independence celebration, and even insisted on paying all travel expenses out of his own pocket.

Many rich and famous adherents of the Rastafarian faith would do well to follow the example of people like Bob Marley; as well as the late founder of the Twelve Tribes of Israel Dr. Vernon Carrington (AKA Prophet Gad). Brother Gad had a big dance in Kingston some years ago called Royal Ethiopian Family Ball. And he personally handed over the proceeds from the event to a representative of the Ethiopian Royal family, Crown Prince Asfa Wossen. The prince was moved to tears. So this is what I want to ask some of those erratic fire-burning rebels without a cause; "unnu working for Jah, or a round of applause?"

Source: Jamaica Star
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 08:30:05 AM »

good sound!

jacob miller seh: "too much commercialization of rastafari..."

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »

I like what you said about Bob's performance in Zimbabwe. That fits in with what I learned about Bob on my recent visit to Jamaica. Brothers that knew him emphasized Bob's "kindness" and I got the depth of his generosity - so much so that it bring him and Rita to quarreling. Locals complain that the Bob Marley foundation is not carrying on his legacy in this regard. Bob was handing out money to kids for lunch money and supporting anyone it seems in his community who needed financial help. My impression is that Bob was constantly giving, giving, giving and this one man explained that you could see Bob's goodness always growing. Bob Marley was a mountain of a man. All his generosity is evident when you visit his dwellings in Jamaica and witness the magnitude of these sites which are carried on in his name. The man was for real and based on what he's 'getting out' after he's gone I get some perspective on the scope that the man GAVE.

Kebo

African justice - white redemption
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »

rastafarism is deep into christianity just like black christians with the king james bible Undecided

bob marley was a fraud,people turned to smoking ganja and flower power and white hippies picked it up
who made what bob marley was,is peter tosh and the wailers,island records was owned bya white guy
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 09:42:17 AM »

Greetings in the name of the most high ancestors.

Do you define yourself by what others do?
Let others define you and you become maeningless.
Fresh water is fresh water.
Rastas are natural black and pure of heart
Freah water is fresh water.
Let others define you and you become meaningless.
Do you define yourself by what others do?

Word sound and power is the seed.
Action is the root.
Still_an_Empress

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »

rastafarism is deep into christianity just like black christians with the king james bible Undecided

bob marley was a fraud,people turned to smoking ganja and flower power and white hippies picked it up
who made what bob marley was,is peter tosh and the wailers,island records was owned bya white guy

why do you feel exactly he is a fraud?what to you, was he trying to impersonate?
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:14:14 AM »

Greetings in the name of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie Jah Rastafari. After a certain point the tone of Bob Marleys music changed. It went from Concious vibes to raggae pop. When I was first introduced to rasta it was not a religion. It was natural spirituality and natural Levity. Rastafari has been turned into a religion by too many.  Rastas use to grow their locks naturally. Now they want to be pretty. Many were called but few were choosed now Rastas want to save everydody. Too many christians are pretending to be rastas. If you have to ask what is a rasta and how to be a rasta you are not a rasta. They use to curse Rastas as being ugly, nasty devils. You can't make a rasta you are born a rasta. Now-a-days rastas want popularity not spirituality. Rasta is not for everbody. Rasta to Rasta we use to treat each other brotherly now-a-days these so called rastas don't even treat others friendly. Now-a-days if you look like a rasta you are a rasta. It use to be if you were a rasta then you were a rasta.     
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:11:28 PM »

When did Bob Marley's vibes turn from "conscious" to "reggae pop" exactly? Around the time of "Black Survivors", "Zimbabwe", "Ride Natty Ride"? Or around the time of "Coming in from the cold", "Real Situation" and "Redemption Song"? Or was it earlier with "Guiltiness" and "eaden back deh pon the wall"? I am curious as to the exact timeline of Bob's transition into unconscious reggae pop. I am also curious as to where people really get off casually throwing spittle on the names of those who have gone before them and (I dare say) achieved more than they may yet have done. (Taking some bullets in the process as well).
PS ooggels or whatever you name. On another thread you say that you are the descendant of king ja ja of opopo and that everyone must follow you unquestioningly since you are the ancient chief who everyone must rally around. You do realize that saying things like this makes you seem a bit suspect, right. I would have thought you would realize that.
PPS where/what/who is "SVG"? (On the same other thread, you said you were ras so and so "of SVG"... what is that, Savannah, Georgia, or what?
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »

When did Bob Marley's vibes turn from "conscious" to "reggae pop" exactly? Around the time of "Black Survivors", "Zimbabwe", "Ride Natty Ride"? Or around the time of "Coming in from the cold", "Real Situation" and "Redemption Song"? Or was it earlier with "Guiltiness" and "eaden back deh pon the wall"? I am curious as to the exact timeline of Bob's transition into unconscious reggae pop.

Ooggooles responds:
When the Wailers became Bob Marley and the wailers the tone changed. When Bob left the original Wailers the tone changes again. When He left Jamaica and went to England his tone changed. We are talking also about the overall theme of his albums. He was being influence by elements that did not have his best interest or the best interest of his people.

I am also curious as to where people really get off casually throwing spittle on the names of those who have gone before them and (I dare say) achieved more than they may yet have done. (Taking some bullets in the process as well).

Ooggooles responds:
Last time I checked Bob was not God. Would you also say that I cannot ctitize the dead slave owners, because they have gone before us? Just because you disagree with me does not make me wrong. And just because you agree with me does not make you right.

PS ooggels or whatever you name. On another thread you say that you are the descendant of king ja ja of opopo and that everyone must follow you unquestioningly since you are the ancient chief who everyone must rally around. You do realize that saying things like this makes you seem a bit suspect, right. I would have thought you would realize that.
PPS where/what/who is "SVG"? (On the same other thread, you said you were ras so and so "of SVG"... what is that, Savannah, Georgia, or what?

Ooggooles responds:
SVG- ST. Vincent and The Grenadines. It is Opobo not Opopo. I rally around the Ancestors, who do you rally around? Show some respect, be polite and think before you speak. Death does not make you a God. For you to suggest that I must agree with what you think is incorrect. My mind is mines it is for my thoughts. You cannot bully your opinions onto me.

gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:52:39 PM »

I ain't trying to bully. I don't know how to bully people over internet and I don't moderate this site and hence have no power over you.
The main reason for the sarcastic tone of my post was not really about defending Bob Marley, and you were not the only person on the thread who I had issues with over what I perceived as unjustified slander on the name of an honorable human being who ain't amongst us physically anymore. One honorable human being amongst many others, not "God." The main reason for the sarcastic tone of the post was that you said on another thread... or, I should say, seemed to me to say, perhaps I misinterpreted but I don't know how... that everyone needs to unite behind a single leader who they must follow unquestioningly (which I strongly disagree with), and guess what... that single leader just happens to be YOU!!!
I repeat my question, "Can't you see that that makes you seem a little suspect?"
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »

PS I don't mean to imply no disrespect to St. Vincent people, neither to King Ja Ja, or even to you oogles (I ain't trying to disrespect you by misspelling your name, I just can;t remember how you spellin it). But same way how you have your mind for your thoughts, I have mine for mines, and we share dem on this internet, and when I read someone saying that they are the great leader who everyone must follow... it makes the alarm bells ring. As I said, I wouldn;t have adopted that tone of voice (tone of type?) to you, were it not for that.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 07:21:32 AM »

To ooggooles,

Re: Oil Drilling Begins in Darfur
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:07 AM
Lets face it everbody want to be the boss nobody wants to unify around a capable leader. No one wants to unify around the Ancient Chief. Some one has to lead and everyone has to follow unquestioned. We must fing the Ancient bloodline of the ancient KING. WE must return his decendents to the thrown. That decendent is not any decendant of Haile Selassie it is the decendant of Kink Ja Ja Of Opobo. It is me.
http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/index.php?topic=3517.msg11475#msg11475

No serious person is going to follow anyone unquestioningly, but you are entitled to desire that.

Show some respect, be polite and think before you speak. Death does not make you a God. For you to suggest that I must agree with what you think is incorrect. My mind is mines it is for my thoughts. You cannot bully your opinions onto me.

You just joined (or rejoined) the board and racked up 21 posts in a short space of time with only one or two responses to you. I see no instance of anyone trying to bully you or even suggesting that you must agree with them. Of course, you do not have to agree with what others post here and you are always 'free' to your own thoughts and views on anything. But if you do not want others to express agreement or disagreement with your views then do not post them.

PS

King Jaja of Opobo (1821-1891)

http://www.blackhistorypages.net/pages/jaja.php
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »

I ain't trying to bully. I don't know how to bully people over internet and I don't moderate this site and hence have no power over you.
The main reason for the sarcastic tone of my post was not really about defending Bob Marley, and you were not the only person on the thread who I had issues with over what I perceived as unjustified slander on the name of an honorable human being who ain't amongst us physically anymore. One honorable human being amongst many others, not "God." The main reason for the sarcastic tone of the post was that you said on another thread... or, I should say, seemed to me to say, perhaps I misinterpreted but I don't know how... that everyone needs to unite behind a single leader who they must follow unquestioningly (which I strongly disagree with), and guess what... that single leader just happens to be YOU!!!
I repeat my question, "Can't you see that that makes you seem a little suspect?"

Sarcasm is still sarcasm. Don't apologize to me make attempts to (if you realize that it is necassary), to correct your behavior. The bloodlines are clear. People come from certain Bloodlines. The cheif is the cheif by birth rite not by a vote. I do not seek to change any minds or convince anyone. I make my assertions and accept those who accept them. I am not here as a beggar. 
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

PS I don't mean to imply no disrespect to St. Vincent people, neither to King Ja Ja, or even to you oogles (I ain't trying to disrespect you by misspelling your name, I just can;t remember how you spellin it). But same way how you have your mind for your thoughts, I have mine for mines, and we share dem on this internet, and when I read someone saying that they are the great leader who everyone must follow... it makes the alarm bells ring. As I said, I wouldn;t have adopted that tone of voice (tone of type?) to you, were it not for that.

If a man tells you that there is a poisonous snake in that box and if you place you hand in that box then you will be bitten, and you place your hand in the box and get bitten, do you blame the man or take responsibility for your own actions? I am the one who rang the alarm bells no man has rung them for me.
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »

To ooggooles,

Re: Oil Drilling Begins in Darfur
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:07 AM
Lets face it everbody want to be the boss nobody wants to unify around a capable leader. No one wants to unify around the Ancient Chief. Some one has to lead and everyone has to follow unquestioned. We must fing the Ancient bloodline of the ancient KING. WE must return his decendents to the thrown. That decendent is not any decendant of Haile Selassie it is the decendant of Kink Ja Ja Of Opobo. It is me.
http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/index.php?topic=3517.msg11475#msg11475

No serious person is going to follow anyone unquestioningly, but you are entitled to desire that.

Ooggooles Responds:

In any business venture when a decision is reached and the boss/ceo/cheif which ever term you chose to use, gives an order you carry it out. When time is wasted arguing everyone loses.

Show some respect, be polite and think before you speak. Death does not make you a God. For you to suggest that I must agree with what you think is incorrect. My mind is mines it is for my thoughts. You cannot bully your opinions onto me.

You just joined (or rejoined) the board and racked up 21 posts in a short space of time with only one or two responses to you. I see no instance of anyone trying to bully you or even suggesting that you must agree with them.

Ooggooles responds:

By Gmans' own admission he was being sarcastic. I read between the lines, scracsm is a form of disrespect. The tone of his response was a very aggressive tone that I determined was intended to be intimidating. I and Gman have squared things we cool now. 

Of course, you do not have to agree with what others post here and you are always 'free' to your own thoughts and views on anything. But if you do not want others to express agreement or disagreement with your views then do not post them.

Ooggooles responds:

it is not possoble to accertain from anything that I have written on this forum that I have a problem if anyone or everyone disagrees or agrees with me. "Just because someone agrees with me does not make me right, and just because someone disagress with me does not make them right."  I will continue to post my thoughts untill they kick me off.   

PS

King Jaja of Opobo (1821-1891)

http://www.blackhistorypages.net/pages/jaja.php

Ooggooles:

Yep thats my Ancestural Papa. The story of Jaja of Opobo (in Africa known as Jubo Jubogh) and his so Jaja Sunday has been recorded in history. It is not just a story of resistance, of a self made man, first in Africa where he went from slave to King, and later in on Barbados and St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) where he went from prisoner to businessman. It is a story fate. Even before Jaja came to SVG the black caribs decendants of African slaves who escaped when the two slave ships carrying them crashed ina a storm fought and killed more than their fair share of French, Spanish, and English enslavers and colonizers for more than 200 years.
Area:total: 389 sq km (Saint Vincent 344 sq km)

http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Communities/BlackCaribsStVincent.htm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: