Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  sects?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: sects?  (Read 18457 times)
RAS KANA

« on: April 16, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »

I tried posting this on "young Adults" too. Can someone tell me more about sects of Rastafai?  I've read a little, but would like to hear from real members of different sects. Also from anyone who could tell me a good bit about different sects.  Im concidering joining a sect if I can find one with view similar to mine. 

-malho-

Ras Kana
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »

I'll tell you what, I'll take sex over sects any day of the week.
Sorry, my sense of humour gets the better of me sometimes.
Rasta wouldn't say "sects", but there are various houses of Rastafari. The best known would be NiyabinghI aka Theocracy Reign, Bobo Ashanti aka Ethiopia-Africa Black International Congress, Twelve Tribes of Israel (some would debate whether this last group is really Rasta, but they identify themselves as Rasta.)
There are also many other houses, movements, tendencies and organizations within Rastafari.
In my opinion, it is not necessary to join any particular house or so-called "sect" to be Rasta.
But, do more research on the various tendencies of Rasta, and if you see one that fits you more than others, by all means join it.
Knowledge about Rasta is best gained from face to face interactions with people, because when you reading books or internet, it can be a lot of inaccurate or partial information. Reasoning with people directly will give a better sense of where people are coming from.
RAS KANA

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »

why do some people not concider tweleve tribes rasta?
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »

I don't want to generalize too much... I am not and never been a twelve tribes member so they should speak for themselves really. But according to my understanding (might not be iverstanding) Twelve Tribes doctrine is considered by some to be more "Christian" than "Rasta", i.e. they de-emphasize the divinity of Haile Selassie I and emphasize Jesus Christ more. (Although there were certainly a lot of 12 tribes members in the 70s who hailed Haile Selassie I as the Almighty, such as Bob Marley, so it could be that their doctrine has changed a bit since that time... again, not trying to speak for 12 Tribes, members could clarify it.)
They have also been criticized by some for having a lot of white members. Twelve Tribes as a group/organization was founded by Prophet Gad (Vernon Carrington, Rest In Uhuru) in the 60s. They're known for reading a chapter of the bible a day, and for a kind of 'astrological' ting based on Jacob/Israel's twelve sons and one daughter (in Genesis), where the twelve sons represent twelve tendencies of humankind, which Prophet Gad said is determined by the month you are born in, for eg., as I am born in April, I would be from "the tribe of Reuben" cos Reuben was Jacob/Israel's first-born and April was considered the first month in ancient calendars apparently. In Genesis there is a passage where Jacob/Israel is on his deathbed and he calls his progeny to his side and gives them each a blessing; these blessings tend to be pointing out your strong and your weak points, the attributes of your "tribe"s tendency. For eg. I as a Reuben am the first born the excellence of my father's strength, and I come to blaze a path and start up nuff tings, but on the other hand I unstable as water and I got a tendency to not complete what I start. (Which does kinda fit me I must admit). So 12 tribes got a ting that is similar to 'astrology' in that sense.
You should check with some 12 tribe people for more clarification, I do know that 12 tribes members have different beliefs among themselves as well.
Natural Blacks on this board is affiliated with the Nyabinghi House in JA I gather, so he could give you some perspectives pon that.
There are a couple of E.A.B.I.C. bredrens who post on the other board (Rastafari Speaks) sometimes, one is named Priest Asikule Adigun Adofo, I haven't seen him on the board in a minute, but if you scroll down that board you'll find some reasonings where he discusses the E.A.B.I.C.
Like I said though face to face discussions are the best! And remember there is no need or requirement to join any particular so-called "sect" of Rastafari although you should obviously feel free to do so if you want.
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:47:04 PM »

why deify sellassie and jesus was myth to begin with! Roll Eyes
RAS KANA

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »

why deify sellassie and jesus was myth to begin with!

what?
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 01:38:37 PM »

WELL! yah ras kana,why deify sellassie,jesus was myth,the whole thing,of the holly trinity was taken out of ancient egypt,isis,osiris and horu,www.thegodmovie.com  how can people take living deities and turn into something that is not,the whole rastafarism is based on judeo christianity,the ancient ancient scripture is the paut neteru,the book of dead and the forthcoming by day,i strongly suggest for you to get this book
the dawn of conscience by gerard massey and the book of the begginings also by gerad massey. because
JESUS WAS AND STILL A MYTH! like marcus garvey said" it is time to take the kinky from your brains"
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »

some dates fi general KNOWledge:

december 10, 1933 - leonard percival howell declared...before the st thomas magistrate court, that EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I of ETHIOPIA is the TRUE AND LIVING GOD. he was subsequently labelled as insane and sentenced! to the kingston psychiatric home..bellvue. he spent the rest of his years going to jail and this madhouse numerous times for making the same declaration.

rastafari youth... no compromise. ini incients suffer too much.

"behold ethiopia...cursed be u who accept the enemy" - archbishop of ethiopia abuna petros with his final breath

august 1, 1936 - leaonard percival howell for the first time, raised the flag of the CONQUERING LION and declared the FLAG OF ETHIOPIA as the flag of AFRIKANS in the diaspora, denouncing the jamaican flag.

yeah...

The Promised Key ...important book fi rastafari coem read in this iwa. Pinnacle was the full expression of rastafari...a nation...a culture - self-reliance. the closest thing to that now is BOBO HILL. hail di bobo idrins and sistrins.

love and blessings....HAILE SELASSIE I LIVES!

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
Prophet Asher

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »

I'm Rastaman which sympathizes with the 12 tribe livity.  I personally belive that Haile Selassie I was the elect of JAH, just like David and Yesus were.  I believe that God through out time has provided his people with spirtual guides and prophets that bring God's word to the world.  I repect the Bobo Ahsanti way of thinking and admire the dicipline it takes to live such a pure lifestyle under the melchezidek priesthood.  I also have much LOVE for my Nyabinghi bredren and their devoutness.  But why speak of sects and houses.  I know Rasta is the way and the truth because of the way it come to be.  Most man made religions, churches etc... are born from a discrepancy or argument, so they separate from the church their in and form their own.  I know Rasta is the right path because it was not born from confusion or argument.  Many different movements and events around the world gave birth to Rastafari and then everyone cme together.  All Houses come together to hail the Emperor.  What keep us together is true love for our bredren, JAH's Holy Herb and Haile Selassie. 

"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community." (Haile Selassie)

"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." (Haile Selassie)

Just follow thw rod of H.I.M and everything is gonna be Irie no matter what you believe in...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: