Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 92 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  can white american girls truly embrace rastafarianism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: can white american girls truly embrace rastafarianism  (Read 11894 times)
citizen

« on: June 10, 2006, 02:59:51 AM »

i am white, raised christian, and living in suburban america. yet, i feel drawn to rasta because i feel a strong unity with my brothers and sisters everywhere. i also believe in natural living and universal acceptance. i am leaning towards rasta but have no guide. am i suited for it. can a soul raised in my conditions find its place in a way of life designed with race and heritage in mind? would rasta's with close links to africa find a white rasta offensive
melaninmagic

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »

Hi,

Please do not be too offended, by what follows, but what exactly do you mean when you say: "i feel drawn to rasta because i feel a strong unity with my brothers and sisters everywhere." By saying this do you mean that you fully understand and accept full Response-Ability for what the ancestors that you and other members of 'white euro-america' identify with have done to African peoples the world over, and are consciously attempting to repair this damage?

Now I personally would never be offended by anyone of any classification by the action of adopting rastafari. I am, however, deeply offended by anyone who is of the opinion that by simply 'learning rasta', 'looking rasta' or even by trying to 'get closer to the so called brothers and sisters' that they have somehow taken an active step in alleviating the gross injustices that have been caused by those who classify themselves as 'white' upon all those who have been classified as 'non-white'. Bear in mind that this is irrespective of religion, class or creed. The reason why I would be offended by this is because this action offers no proof whatsoever that you are on our side. All this tells me is that you could quite possibly be pretending to be something that you are not (a spy), or that you are actively repeating the history of your ancestors by adopting meager portions of a rich, ancient culture solely for your personal gain.

As a self designated member of the so called 'white american' community you will automatically be considered a suspected white supremacist as long as you intentionally enjoy the spoils produced by the system of white supremacy. I understand that you will naturally be offended by my accusation and to this end I invite you to prove me wrong. Providing this proof is not as difficult as it may seem. Your task should not be to show your solidarity amongst non-whites as testiment to your remorse, as most of us will conclude that you are simply trying to 'kiss ass' (pardon my expression). Rather, go amonst the true perpetrators and educate them; i.e. white suburbia. It is these persons who are caught up living the American dream at the total expense of the rest of the world, yet completely (or are they?) oblivious to the misery this activity causes to all non-whites.

P.S. What makes you think that you have not forfeited any trust which should be automatically endowed upon all humankind, as a result of the actions of your fore fathers? Do you not understand that until you have taken steps to prove the the non-white world wrong you are guilty by association by default?
citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:56:46 PM »

to melaninmagic
thank you for your honesty.  i am not a poser or a spy, but perhaps lost. i did find your response somewhat overly critical, but perhaps it was necessary. i would, however, like to set some things straight. i am not a rastafarian, nor do i wear dreads or try to in any way pretend that i am not the race that i was born to. while i do feel guilt at the racism of the white forefathers i bear, it seems wrong that anyone should let such guilt separate them from god and their fellow man. one of the things i like most about rastafarianism is that it emphasizes acceptance and i think that universal love, rather than self-destruction by guilt, is more constructive for today's world

also, you suggested that one might try to improve the world and take steps against the injustices of one's forefathers.

Question for everyone: how can one best ammend the sins of the father?
melaninmagic

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 03:22:13 AM »

Hello citizen,

In your previous post you asked: "can a soul raised in my conditions find its place in a way of life designed with race and heritage in mind?"

Further, in your last post you stated: "one of the things i like most about rastafarianism is that it emphasizes acceptance and i think that universal love, rather than self-destruction by guilt"

As you have not answered the first question in my initial post, nor have you clearly defined what your intentions were or what it is that you are seeking, I am forced to extrapolate from these two statements you made above that:

1) You are suffering from self doubt (and most probably guilt) for the privileged condition that you currently exist in.

2) Despite your condition of privileged, you are seeking unconditional and universal acceptance.

Now, with respect to the first point, most if not all persons would consider this a good sign for obvious reasons. With regards to the second point, the truth of the matter is that as more and more oppressed non-white peoples of the earth re-awaken and come to terms with their oppressive conditions and the reasons for these conditions they face, you will find that for individuals such as yourself, UNCONDITIONAL acceptance will be an option no longer available to you. It is therefore necessary for you to understand that 'acceptance' becomes a quantity that you must now earn and/or learn to earn.

Although I do not have the authority to speak for all persons in this forum, I am fairly confident that all persons here of like persuasion will tell you that the system of Racism White Supremacy (WS) constitutes the single greatest problem facing all persons who have been classified as non-white all over the face of the earth. Any other observed problem that exists is a direct consequence of this system and cannot be solved before the system of WS is completely replaced with a system of Justice. That is, it is absolutely necessary that the system of White Supremacy be replaced by a system that ensures no one is mistreated, and that the person who needs help the most receives the most help. This is the definition of Justice.

To this end, at all times you must keep this in mind and above anything else.

Before continuing I must warn anyone reading this who classifies themselves as white (including yourself, citizen) that if you do not agree with the statements above, you do not continue reading this thread. If you do continue, read everything carefully and consider yourself fully informed as to what you must do from here on end. By not adhering to these rules below, you will be permanently held accountable for your actions.  Smiley

Good. so, here is what you must do AT ALL TIMES FROM THIS POINT ONWARD.

1) Do not lie to non-white people.

(2) Do not withhold constructive information from non-white people.

(3) Reveal all information to non-white people of anything said that will result in the mistreatment of non-white people to every non-white person the white person comes in contact with.

(4) Do not actively or intentionally involve yourself in any activities, other than to listen and to understand what is being done, when white people interact with other white people that are saying things that will result in the mistreatment of non-white people. Before disengaging from the conversation let it be absolutely clear why you have chosen to disengage.

(5) Reveal all information to non-white people of anything white people are planning to do that will result in the mistreatment of non-white people to every non-white person the white person comes in contact with.

(5) Do not cause any unjust harm to any non-white person. Only in acts of self-defense is this permitted.

(7)If you come across a person or group of persons who classifies themselves as white and who appears to be in violation of any one of these rules, you will:
  i) pass all of these rules on to them (so commit them to your memory)
  ii) let them know which rule you suspect that they are in violation of
  iii) explain to them exactly why you suspect that they are in violation of this rule and why you think they are practicing
white supremacy as a result of this infraction.

8)In everything you do, ensure to the best of your ability that no one you come in contact with directly or indirectly (whether it be those who classify themselves as white or those who have been classified as non-white) is mistreated by you and that you seek to promote Justice at all times.

Keep the faith.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: