Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Attacked by Rasta
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Attacked by Rasta  (Read 41996 times)
Shiva 108

« on: May 20, 2007, 07:40:52 PM »

Greetings to you All. 
I have a couple of questions to the black members of our One World Family.  I was at Euston station in London today and a black guy with locks came up to me ( I am white and have matted hair, but would not refer to them as dreadlocks because I believe that this is specific to the Rastafarian religion).  Anyway, the fella started trying to me saying that I only had my hair as a style and started to talk about how the locks for him are a sign of God within, not just a style and are part of his culture.  What I want to know is, how aware are black people, specifically rasta, that matted hair is found with holy men in a variety of cultures such as shaivite yogi sadhus in India.  Also skeletons of the nascar people in south america have been found in lotus posture in caves and they have matted hair.  I do wonder what pagan shamen in northern europe would have looked like.  I travelled a while in india and never got this negative reaction.
I originally matted my hair over 13 years ago as I stopped combing my hair, I suppose as a sign of renouncing some of the social values of mainstram culture (it was either locks, pink hair or no hair).  As I had stopped combing and cutting my hair, I got a friend to sort out locks as it was getting too out of control. 
I was and do still like rasta music through listening to punk, mostly the clash etc.  As I've gone along I have found that my perception of this hair has evolved somewhat.  Ok in the beginning my reasons for having this hair were shallow, but has deepened somewhat over time.  Resulting in the intuitive perception from my sadhana ( spiritual practice, specifically yoga), that, for me the hair is roots, as there are 7 chakras linked by channels in the spiritual body, the physical counterpart being the nervous system.  If you look at these channels and centers they look like an upside down tree with the base at the crown and the branches running down the body and limbs.  6 of the centers starting from the sacrum up deal with evermore refined states of conciousness, and have a positive and negative polarity.  However the crown chakra is Unified ( God) conciousness.  Thus, the hair  means being rooted in God, the source.  And practically it is believed in Hinduism that matted hair helps to channel divine energy into the system. 
I would not call myself rasta because I do not specifically follow the religion, but do in the sense of the thread running through all religion IE LOVE. 
Can I ask my black brothers, does the above understanding jusify me having this hair? As it seemed to me that the guy today was, to me presenting rastafarianism as being somewhat reactive and spiritually immature, although I appreciate there could be a variety of view within rastafari on this.

Please help me to come to an understanding on this.

Jai Guru Dev ( Victory to the Big mind), Rich.
discipleofthenile

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:32:02 PM »

**********I have a couple of questions to the black members of our One World Family.  I was at Euston station in London today and a black guy with locks came up to me ( I am white and have matted hair, but would not refer to them as dreadlocks because I believe that this is specific to the Rastafarian religion). **********

I could comment on some of the things that you said, but that is another issue/discussion.

What you have is a person who realizes that you with your white face represent the personification of EVERYTHING that is wrong with this "one world family".  It is very hypocritical to suggest that ones should be "colorblind" when ones are faced with NON colorblindness EVERYDAY...EVERY MOMENT...in EVERY aspect of society.

Victims of oppression cannot be expected to discern Hindu characteristics from Norwegian.  Slavemasters and colonists did not carry identification that signified their beliefs/culture...all that victims of oppression know is that the oppressors are WHITE...and that they are oppressed because they are BLACK.

No one checked hair style or texture...those who were black were shot and/or shackled by white folk.

So your little tiff is small fries and really falls upon my unsympathetic eyes when I read of a little discomfort that you experienced because of your whiteness compared to the current atrocities that continue the legacy of white/male supremacy on a global scale.

So as far as "educating" or reprimanding this person, I would sight that actually this person is in their right mind to behave in a suspicious and rejective manner towards ones who look like you...seeing that he no doubt has experienced far WORSE for much less.

I suggest that you overstand that this sort of reaction towards you shows and proves that white/male supremacy and the atrocities that go along with it are still in full effect.  And you should do everything in your power to remove the obstacles placed by whites in Rastas' or anyone's way.

Once that is accomplished, then we could deal with educating and fine tuning.

His reactions prove that YOU have a lot of work to do to correct any misconceptions...not him.
Shiva 108

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I wasn't thinking about it from his point of view, if I could even understand it as I have been brought up and educated in the Uk, and not faced his struggle, where history lessons still glorify the empire etc from the white perspective. It did occur to me after I posted that I was idealising the current situation when oppression re white dominator culture is still occuring (situation here, in the middle east, africa, well everywhere like you say).

It is really confusing for me though, as I don't understand how to or if I can play a part in removing these obsticles. In other words, how do I take responibility and what actions should I take. I also don't understand  if it is up to me to do that or if by doing that am I somehow undermining something, like trying to do for the guy today what he needs to do himself and therefore oppressing him more.
Shiva 108

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »

In reference to the One World Family slgan this is what I was refering to: www.artofliving.org
Shiva 108

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 10:15:44 PM »

Another thing that occured to me in London was that all the menial jobs such as looking after toilets, cleaning etc were all being done by either black, oriental or eastern europeans, how on earth is this still happening and how can I personally take responsiblility and have an influence in changing these issues.

Also in run down white areas all over the country, locally and as I saw in London there massive amounts of regeneration going on, but when I went to Harlesdeon in Lodon which is primarily populated by black peiople and asian people there was no sign of any significant regeneration. I havn'e seen that before, its terrible.
Shiva 108

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:33:21 AM »

I've been to sleep and woken up with a thought in my mind.. Aren't the issues of oppression along the ages and currently due to religion rather than race?
Shiva 108

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:45:40 AM »

I see a crisis facing the world today.  It is fundamentally one of  identification. People identify themselves with limited characteristics such as gender, race, religion and nationality, forgetting their basic identity as part of the universal spirit. 

These limited identifications lead to conflict.  There are wars happening throughout the world today in the name of religion.
Every individual is much more than the sum of these limited identifications. The highest identification we can make is that we are part of Divinity, and second to that, we are human beings and members of the human family.  In divine creation, the whole of the human race is united.

Along with this proper identification of ourselves, the right vision of who we really are, we need to return to the values that are the essence of all major traditions. These shared values need to be reintroduced in society today.
In returning to the values, we will see that much of the misery that has come into the world in the name of religion can be avoided. This identification of values does not require guilt and fear to be introduced. You will find guilt and fear used for control in the history of all the religious systems in the world, but such discipline is not needed today.  At this time we need only to cultivate love and understanding.

The timeless values are:

a deep caring for all life.
a responsible attitude toward the planet
nonviolence
compassion and love
friendliness and cooperation
generosity and sharing
integrity, honesty and sincerity
moderation in one’s activity
service
commitment and responsibility
peace, contentment, enthusiasm
These values are the very foundation of social order, justice and progress.  Human values are social and ethical norms common to all cultures and societies, as well as religions.  They represent a melding of social progress and spirituality

- His Holiness Sri Sri Ravishankar
discipleofthenile

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 08:39:42 AM »

noble indeed...

however, it does not address the foundation of what has caused the suppression and amnesia of such righteousness.

You cannot expect vegetation to thrive when the air is covered with volcanic soot.

So remove the soot and THEN we can talk about productive photosynthesis.

See, white/male supremacy is so engrained and business as usual that some think that it is simply a matter of choosing to change.  It IS a matter of choosing to change but it is not simple.  IT requires a complete revolution of heart and mind.  Many are not willing to do so.

I bet I could not get you to challenge/confront hinduism.

Why not?
Because it is psychologically engrained inside you.  You would have no doubt that it aligns with your inner divinity.  So it is YOUR truth and now attached you your self/identity.

Seeing that white/male supremacy is intertwined with religion (you asked about religion compared to race), those who enjoy the privileges as well as the victims have accepted the religious essence of it.  In other words, white/male supremacy is supported and affirmed through a "greater than man" power implementation...namely, the Bible/Xtianity. (curse of Ham, etc.)

So you are accurate in your view of religion being involved thus we must identify that w.m.s. is a religion in itself.

You cannot expect ones to seek Nature and align with the Universe when it has been spiritually indoctrinated that an old white man with a beard in the clouds is the ALMIGHTY.  With that mindset, off the bat, there is justifiable mysogyny (Eve tricking Adam, etc.).  All oppression comes from the de-emphasis of feminine/regenerative energy.  That is because it is a confusing contradiction.  For 9 months we were carried and nourished by our Wombman/Mother...even after that we were fed and suckled by that same person.  Our Mothers were our first God.  But as we got older, we had to be instructed differently.  Instead of the natural observation and experience of what our mothers provided, we were taught to trust in spoken or written claims of detached masculine superiority...of which we DID NOT observe, experience or were ever attached to.  See, we did not need FAITH in our mothers...we KNEW our mother's touch, voice, warmth, etc.  We had the physical and spiritual attachment to our mothers.  But when we highlight the "Father", we subliminally give credence to an unattached/inspired spooky God.  One that we could not feel the physical attachment to, like we did our mothers.

No mystery that many accounts of God are of a spooky, fearful, authoritative tyranical male.  This is a direct function of our early relationships with a working/hunting frequently absent father.

So the "mother" of all of mankind's problems is the suppression of our FIRST TRUTHS (our Ma'at-Hers)...everything else is just a snowball effect of such self/feminine denial.

It takes a slow deliberate dismantling of what your own parents, friends and other loved ones believed to be absolute truth.

Do not blame victims.
Shiva 108

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:31:33 AM »

I think you have hit the nail right on the head with what you are saying. Your analysis regarding male dominated religion is bang on. Which is why, personally I have moved away from the tradition I was brought up in (orthodox Christianity) toward eastern religion where the feminine aspect of Godhead has been retained: Shiva/Shakti, Krishna/Radha etc.

In reference to confronting Hinduism, it is my belief that alkthough religions have a thread of truth running through them, they have all to some extent or another been contaminated by egotism, for example the caste system in Hinduism which keeps so many in oppression is clearly errant, also such pracitices as self imolation of widows at the husbands funeral. So yes, challenge me please.

Regarding dismantling of parent beliefsetc. Both my parents and my brother can by overtley racist and homophobic, which I would challenge and definatley do not believe in myself. Having said that If I do find myself under pressure fromsomeone of a different race racist stuff does come into mu mind, so there are latent impression there which need to be rooted out.

Good chat, keep it going,its helpful.
Shiva 108

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 03:28:12 AM »

Universal Declaration of Human Values
As Proposed by His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

This document, developed by His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, represents his vision for a fresh approach to fostering understanding and harmonious coexistence among different peoples and cultures, and fulfilling the purposes for which the United Nations was formed.  It is in the form of a proposed resolution of the General Assembly of the United Nations. It is hoped that, in due course, member States will formally bring this document forward to the United Nations, in accordance with normal General Assembly processes and channels, for discussion, adoption, and subsequent implementation.  It is Sri Sri’s intention that this proposed Declaration serve as a tool to begin a global discussion of the crucial issues it raises.

The United Nations General Assembly,

Recognizing the paramount importance of harmonious coexistence among different peoples;

Acknowledging the urgent need to bring about understanding among different cultures and civilizations and to foster harmony in diversity throughout the world;

Deeply concerned by increasing conflict and violence around the globe;

Determined to address the root causes of this increasing conflict and violence;

Recognizing that much of the conflict and violence today is attributable to religious and ethnic divisions and misunderstanding;

Recalling that the United Nations was formed to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights and the dignity and worth of the human person, as set out in the Preamble of the United Nations Charter;

Reaffirming our commitment to the purposes of the United Nations that include maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations, and achieving international cooperation in encouraging respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms for all, as set out in Article 1 of the United Nations Charter;

Emphasizing our commitment to the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which constitutes a common standard of achievement for all peoples and nations, as well as our commitment to the subsequent existing international human rights instruments;

Recognizing that grave human rights violations continue around the world, despite more than half a century of efforts to achieve human rights and fundamental freedoms for all;

Reaffirming our commitment to the United Nations Millennium Declaration, adopted on September 8, 2000;

Recalling that the United Nations Millennium Declaration sets out a number of basic societal values considered essential to international relations in the 21st century, as well as specific objectives to be achieved consistent with these values in key areas which include peace, security and disarmament; development and poverty eradication; protecting our common environment; human rights and good governance; protecting the vulnerable; and meeting the special needs of Africa;

Determined to achieve the goals and objectives of the Millennium Declaration, including universal human rights, despite serious challenges that the world now faces in doing so;

Recognizing that we must broaden our vision and readjust our strategies in order to foster mutual respect and understanding among different cultures and civilizations, enabling the achievement of the commitments made in the past; 

Acknowledging the urgent need to address the spiritual aspect of human existence in order to achieve harmonious coexistence among diverse peoples, realize universal human rights, and fulfill the purposes for which the United Nations was formed;

Appealing to that same universal Divine consciousness and power that is at the core of all the world’s religions for assistance and support in this crucial endeavor,

Solemnly proclaims this Universal Declaration of Human Values.

ARTICLE 1
Global Commitment and Call to Action

1.1 We, heads of State and Government, gathered at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, collectively acknowledge the urgent need today to rekindle universal human values throughout all sectors of society around the world. 

1.2 A global resurgence of human values is vital in order to foster harmonious coexistence among different peoples and cultures and to achieve peace and security on the planet, universal human rights, the eradication of poverty, and the protection of the environment. 

1.3 We hereby formally declare our solemn commitment to nurture and strengthen universal human values around the world through every possible means.  We will work with all organs of society in every sector to ensure that human values are acknowledged, honored, encouraged and rewarded.

1.4 Broad-based education in universal human values, consistent with the principles set out in this Declaration, is essential in this crucial endeavor. Multi-cultural, multi-religious education is urgently needed to bring people together and foster harmony in diversity.

1.5 We hereby formally commit to working with partners in all sectors of society to ensure such education is available to all, and most especially to all children and youth.

1.6 We call upon all levels of government and all organs of society, including religious institutions, to join us in our sacred and urgent endeavor to reawaken human values across the globe by acknowledging, encouraging, and rewarding universal human values, and by fostering awareness of the principles set out in this Declaration.

1.7 We call upon all individuals of all ages everywhere to put into practice the principles in this Declaration by honoring human values in their own lives and by nurturing human values in their families, at home, at school, in their place of work, and at their place of worship.

1.8 We hereby commit to taking all appropriate measures to ensure that copies of this Declaration, and information about the principles it espouses, are widely disseminated and available to all.

ARTICLE 2
Human Values

2.1 Human values are those attributes and qualities which are the very heart of humanity, representing the highest expression of the human spirit. 

2.2 Human values are innate in all people.  They are part of our deepest nature and include:

2.2.1 A deep caring for all life
A profound awareness of the sacredness of all life is the basis for all other human values.  This awareness goes beyond respect and even reverence to a deeply felt caring for all life that should be nurtured among all people as the highest of values.  In its fullest form, this caring for life manifests as unconditional love. Ultimately, love is the very sub-stratum of existence; at the deepest level, love is what we are.

2.2.2 Non-violence
Non-violence arises spontaneously in one who has a deep awareness of the sacredness of all life, including one’s adversaries.  True non-violence encompasses non-violence in words and thoughts as well as actions, because words arise from thoughts, and actions arise from both thoughts and words. We need to be ever mindful that, as fire cannot extinguish fire, violence cannot extinguish violence. 

2.2.3 Compassion
Compassion arises naturally where, at some level, one feels the suffering of another as one’s own.  Compassion is rooted in the awareness that we are all part of one universal spirit.  It flourishes where one sees the other as oneself, without blame, pity, or judgment.  In its fullest form, compassion is characterized by the desire to eliminate suffering and misery for all life.

2.2.4 Friendliness and cooperation
Human relations should be characterized by friendliness and cooperation, not by  competition or jealousy.  Friendliness and cooperation are the natural and spontaneous tendencies of all people when they are among those they love, including family and friends.  These qualities naturally grow to extend to all people where there is a deep caring for all life and the awareness that we are all part of one world family.

2.2.5 Generosity and sharing
Generosity and sharing are natural responses toward those we care for, starting with the members of our own family. These qualities grow and expand along with the awareness that true prosperity is the result of giving, not of hoarding, and that our family is truly the whole of humankind.

2.2.6 A feeling of belonging and oneness with all life
Within our own families, we naturally experience a sense of comfort, security and ease - a feeling of belonging.  A deep understanding that we are all members of one world family leads to the same feeling of belonging with all people everywhere.  A recognition that we are all part of one universal spirit leads to a feeling of oneness with all life.

2.2.7 An eco-friendly attitude and caring for the planet
An eco-friendly attitude arises spontaneously with the understanding that the earth is our own mother, and the mother of all life on the planet. The Millennium Declaration identified respect for nature as one of the fundamental societal values essential to international relations.  The corresponding human value goes beyond mere respect to reverence and a profound caring for the planet, in the same way that we revere and love our own mother.

2.2.8 Service to society
Helping those in need is a natural tendency in human beings, giving great personal satisfaction to those who engage in altruistic activities.  This innate altruistic tendency increases with the awareness that we are all truly part of one world family and are here to contribute something of value to society, not to get something for ourselves, for we will take nothing with us when we depart from this planet.   

2.2.9 A sense of commitment and responsibility
We naturally feel a sense of commitment and responsibility for what we perceive as our own: our body, our children, our family, our possessions.  When we recognize our oneness with all of life and consequently have a vastly expanded sense of what is our own, we broaden our sense of commitment and responsibility accordingly to encompass all society, all life.

2.2.10 Peace and contentment
Peace and contentment are the hallmarks of the human spirit.  They are our very nature, to be nurtured and encouraged.  Peace within the individual ultimately manifests as peace in the family, in the community, and in the world.  Contentment grows naturally with the awareness of all the gifts that nature has bestowed on us, whatever our condition or situation.

2.2.11 Enthusiasm
Enthusiasm is life itself.  The boundless enthusiasm that is natural to all children should not be lost as we mature and age; joy and enthusiasm should be supported and nurtured as life itself.  Dampening enthusiasm is an act of violence that amounts to smothering life.

2.2.12 Integrity, honesty and sincerity
There is no spiritual tradition that does not strongly advocate integrity, honesty and sincerity.  These qualities are universally prized as virtues that form the foundation of social order and justice.  They are innate within all people, to be nurtured and encouraged.

2.3 Human values do not depend on, and are not derived from, any external authority. Human values cannot be imposed by society, nor can they be legislated.  They are not the subject matter of rules.  As the infinite potentiality within all people, human values are already present in every human heart, whether flourishing or latent, whether manifest or unexpressed.  Human values need only be uncovered, rekindled, encouraged and nurtured in order to thrive and grow.

2.4 Just as water flows downhill and fire rises, so the natural tendency of the human spirit is to evolve toward these universal human values.  Although these values are innate in every human being, they have been overshadowed by the stresses and strains of our lives and by society’s failure to encourage and nurture them.

2.5 Very little attention has been paid to human values over the past half-century, despite the focus on human rights.  Yet, if a tree is to bear fruit, one must water the root.  Otherwise, all efforts to make the fruit grow will be futile. Human rights are like the fruits of the tree of human society whose roots are human values.  We have collectively neglected to water the root of this tree, though we have waited eagerly for the fruit to appear and ripen. There is now an urgent need to focus our attention on human values.

2.6 Wherever human values flourish, there also will human rights flourish without effort, irrespective of any human rights codes that may or may not exist. There also will peace and security prevail and violence subside.  There also will different cultures and civilizations coexist in harmony.  There also will people spontaneously help to uplift their neighbors and ultimately to eradicate poverty.  There also will the environment be honored and protected, with great care and respect.

ARTICLE 3
Creating New Heroes of Humanity

3.1 Although the qualities of non-violence, friendliness and cooperation represent the highest expression of the human spirit, it is often the baser qualities of violence, aggression and domination that are respected, rewarded, and glorified in today’s society.  These baser qualities, common to the animal kingdom, are often erroneously associated with bravery, strength and heroism, and consequently held in high regard by many.

3.2 Youth in particular often seek approval and recognition from their peers by engaging in violent and aggressive behavior.  A great sense of pride comes from being perceived by one’s peers as exceptionally violent, aggressive or even cruel.  Unfortunately, no similar pride or status is attached to the qualities of non-violence, friendliness and cooperation.  In fact, these human values may even be viewed as signs of weakness rather than the great strength they truly represent.

3.3 This situation needs to be reversed.  Non-violence, friendliness and cooperation must come to be recognized as the new norm, as hallmarks of today’s true hero.  Moreover, a sense of pride must be kindled in connection with these qualities, instead of with violence and aggression. 

3.4 We must foster the creation of new role models and heroes in order to reawaken human values in youth.  Today’s heroes for humanity must exemplify those values that represent the highest expression of the human spirit.  They must serve as models of non-violence, friendliness, and service to society.  Today’s heroes must be ready to face any challenge for the sake of helping the world and its people, with an unshakeable confidence in their ability to achieve whatever they may undertake.  The true heroes of humanity shine, not as a result of triumphing over a villain, but because of their very character and virtue.

ARTICLE 4
Human Values and Conflict Resolution

4.1 One in whom human values have fully blossomed shines as an example to all of the potential for spiritual perfection that exists in every human being. Only such a person, regarded as a friend to all, will be successful in promoting dialogue in areas of conflict around the world. Only such a person, whose very presence soothes, calms and comforts, can truly be effective as a peacemaker. 

4.2 In creating arbitrators and negotiators to work toward achieving peace in areas of conflict, primary consideration must be given to choosing individuals in whom human values are exceptionally strong, and whose lives exemplify those qualities that represent the essence of what it is to be human.

ARTICLE 5
Spirituality, Human Values, and Identity

5.1 There is an urgent need to reverse the growing lack of spirituality in the world today which is contributing to the increase in all kinds of violence throughout society, including armed conflict, criminal activity, domestic violence, and suicide.

5.2 The term spirituality, as it is used in this Declaration, means living and honoring human values.  It means a deep caring for all life and a profound awareness of its sacredness.

5.3 Spirituality means rising above limited concepts of one’s own identity to be able to see one’s basic identity first and foremost as part of one universal spirit, one consciousness, one light, one God; secondly, as a human being; thirdly, as a man or a woman; and, finally, as a member of a particular religion and citizen of a particular nation.

5.4 Today, however, this hierarchy of identity is reversed, as most people identify themselves with their religion first, failing to recognize that we all belong to one world family.

5.5 Only the clear and unshakable awareness that we are all part of one universal spirit, and that our family is truly all of humankind, will provide a solid foundation for peace and security in the world.

ARTICLE 6
Human Values and the Millennium Declaration

6.1 A resurgence of universal human values throughout the world is urgently needed in order to achieve the objectives of the Millennium Declaration.

6.2 The Millennium Declaration set out certain shared societal values that are essential to international relations in the 21st century.  These values govern the conduct of nations and include freedom, equality, solidarity, tolerance, respect for nature, and shared responsibility.

6.3 Underlying the shared societal values of the Millennium Declaration are universal human values, which are part of the deepest nature of all human beings and which govern human conduct.

6.4 The world is at a tipping point today.  It is on fire with hatred, conflict, violence, and religious and ethnic strife.  Universal human values now need to be the focus of our attention, in order to strengthen the societal values of the Millennium Declaration and achieve its goals and objectives in the key areas of peace, security and disarmament; human rights and good governance; development and poverty eradication; protecting our common environment; protecting the vulnerable; and meeting the special needs of Africa.

ARTICLE 7
Globalizing Human Values and Wisdom

7.1 Universal human values are at the basis of all the major world religions.  All religions advocate compassion, love, generosity, non-violence, and selfless service to others.  Today, however, religious fanaticism, arising from a narrow vision and a lack of knowledge and understanding about other religions, has become a menace to world peace and security.

7.2 Globalizing human values is essential to counter religious fanaticism.  Although we have globalized the market economy today, including technology, fashion, food, and music, we have yet to globalize human values and wisdom. 

7.3 The Millennium Declaration calls for equitable and inclusive globalization, so that it becomes a positive force for all the world’s people. We need to further expand and refine this principle of globalization as a positive force. Globalization of a market economy is not enough. Globalization of wisdom must now be our focus.

7.4 All children must receive a multi-religious, multi-cultural education so they have a general knowledge of all the world’s religions.  Only in this way will they come to see the one truth among the diversity of religions and grow up to honor all spiritual traditions.

7.5 Broad-based ecumenical education throughout every part of the world is essential to promote understanding among different cultures and civilizations, and to achieve peace and security.  Even if only a small area of the planet remains untouched by this effort and is left in darkness, thinking its own religion alone provides ultimate salvation, the world will not be a safe place.

ARTICLE 8
Follow – Up

8.1 Given the paramount importance of putting into practice the principles contained in this Declaration in order to foster understanding among different cultures and civilizations, to fulfill the purposes for which the United Nations was formed, and to assure the future of society and of the planet itself, we call upon the General Assembly to monitor and review on a regular basis the progress of member States in implementing our common commitments in this Declaration.  We further request the Secretary-General to issue periodic progress reports, as a basis for further action.

© 2007, His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

discipleofthenile

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:05 AM »

again...very noble.

but since we are engaged in dialogue, I just wanted to tell you that I am not interested in "hand-me-down" teachings or edicts.

My journey at this time involves natural OBSERVATION and EXPERIENCE.

Look at the opening of your post:
*****As Proposed by His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar*****

That seems to be some high and mighty title.  Off the bat, I am supposed to digest those words simply because someone of such man-made status offers them.  Well, that also in my opinion is our downfall.  Too many of us blindly accept speak from a pedestal/pulpit instead of sighting from our own KRST...our combined hearts and minds.

My combined/divine heart and mind is not greater or lessor than anyone else's...there is no hierarchy.
Earth-Water-Air-Fire is not greator or lessor than the other...there is no hierarchy.

So with respect to your belief system and this person who hold this title, I must politely tell you that I am not interested and will seek and sight the truths contained within your writ from an internal/universal standpoint...If affirmed, then those words are simply aligned.  But no spookiness or authoritative presentation needed.

Thanks anyway.

By the way,
the United NAtions is but a front for the globalization of white male supremacy.  Nowhere in the UN does it propose a return of indigenous lands or spirituality. 

What is the UN stance on Reparations and Repatriation?

What it does is intervene when there is a threat of significant WHITE bloodshed or a threat to the white establishment.

What it does is regulate the shistem "as is".  What it does is tell the Palestinians to behave...but it does not tell the so-called Israelis to GET OUT.

How active is the UN now that most if not all of the worldwide conflicts do not involve white death?

There are no more WHITE ON WHITE conflicts anywhere on the globe.
Shiva 108

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »

Just one question, are you a fundamentalist?
Shiva 108

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »

Could you relate to me your overstanding of the difference between responsibility and guilt?
discipleofthenile

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »

*******are you a fundamentalist?*******

a fundamentalist of what?

I do not follow isms or schisms.

Universe-Cosmos-Nature-Self...all the same.

And I do not get the relevance of the guilt or responsibility question.
Shiva 108

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 12:13:40 PM »

The relevance of the guilt/responsibility question is that in my opinion most of the people in the world are conditioned, usually be religion to believe that guilt is necessary in correcting errors.

In my view guilt is a negative state which can only forment into hatred.

I would say that responsibility is requiered in correcting errors, and that responsibility has three components: recognition, dicrimination and intention. Recognition that an error has taken place, discrimination in regard of the effects of the error on all parties and and intention regarding not repeating the error and in making reparations.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: