Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  ENTERTAINMENT/ ARTS/ LITERATURE
| |-+  Books & Reviews (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  The Bluest Eye
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Bluest Eye  (Read 17259 times)
Makini
Makini

« on: September 01, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison...a book recommended to me by a white 19yr old Swiss dude, now I have to ask him why the choice and such and such.

Rapid, painful but easy read, from the perspective of a black 9 yr old and set in the 1940's. A nice means of self reflection and really a good bit of collective conciousness (...or unconsciousness). I see modified versions of them that I can super-impose into my experience.

Going home to read Tayari Jones' Leaving Atlanta now...

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

- M -
mrthepen

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

HI MAKINI ( IS THAT WHERE THE "M" COMES FROM? )

IS 'MAKINI" A DEREVITIVE OF "UNCLE MACK" ( MY GRANDFATHER) OR "MISS MACK" (MY FATHER'S OLDEST SISTER)?!!

OR MAYBE IT'S THE FIRST LETTER OF YOUR NAME?!!

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

"ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!"

"THE BLUEST EYE BY TONI MORISON- WE READ THAT BOOK IN A CLASS TAUGHT BY VICTORIA CHEVALIER (BLST (?) ) IN 2004.

ASK VERN (THE IT TECH GUY THAT LIKES PINEAPPLES, CURTIS KNOWS HIM ) HE IS THE EX-BOYFRIEND OF MS. CHAVALIER.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW. SELAH.

-MRTHEPEN-

Makini
Makini

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »

Hmm

The  'M' comes from my name indeed. To me my name has no meaning because my parents never said we called you this becuase it means this, they wanted an African name and that was the one they chose. I saw some where online that it means placid, can't offer more than that.

As for the rest I have not a clue, I am sure I did not go to school with you. I am not familiar with the persons you have mentioned. I read the book for my own pleasure. 

- M -
siger

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »

huh?!

We look neither left nor right, but forward.
Makini
Makini

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

Hi Siger,

How are you? We had some performances by Ugandans among other ppl of the world recently and though I did not see it, I heard it was really a show stealer and from some one who said he would never visit Africa, sigh for him, but a nice message shone through that what is beautiful is beautiful, instead of going to it, it comes to you, but its the same regardless (i love to say irregardless) of wheter or not you acknowledge it!

Been inna zone, this page is far away from me but I have been reading. Ha, the Swiss guy, he's doing American Studies, reads lots of books on blacks and females, feminisim ones too but America Amreica America no Africa which is kinda something I haven't said anything about, maybe he picks up on that, but no pressing need to, cuz after all he is white.

I still don't know what Mrthepen was getting at...

-M-
Makini
Makini

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

And to keep the book thing running....

I am reading Women Race and Class by Angela Davis.

Long read, because I don't have time to but its interesting taking in the dynamics of slavery and specifically women in the time up to and just after slavery and I never read anything about abolitionists and such and well will see how continues.

I read Black Boy the autobiography by Richard White, that was quite something else, especially since I read a string of books about female experiences with Toni Morrison, Tayari Jones, Maya etc etc. There was a point near the end of the book where he explores and antagonises with the issues surrounding religion in his teens and especially with his christian grandmother and that was interesting as well. 

Donno what I will read next! Somebody drop smgt!

-M-
siger

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »

oi-oi!!!
niyaje, my ppl!  ati the 'huh?' was meant for mrthepen. 'huh?' i have no clue which specie of indica you was on that day, but anywayz..... maybe its -M- from the bond series!!  dat would mek me...... -H- for HIGH!!!!

but seriously, i haven't bin doin much reading lately; one of those times where she hides from me (inspiration, that is). still, i'll kip an i out for the afore-mentioned book.

and about the swiss chap; Makini, why so defensive? u're not getting the giggles for him are you? <means i have competition, heeeheehee!!!>

cheers,
siger

We look neither left nor right, but forward.
Makini
Makini

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »

Hi Siger,

My hands have been between my legs, literally from readin 'Infidel' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. There is lots to learn in this world...Not much reading going on now though like you. I'm having serious waves on this message board, hopefully stick around longer this rounds.

Hmm cats out the bag, much more than giggles at this point...sometimes i can read ppl on this chat and know when they are being defensive, but how can one train oneself not to write defensive....to sound 'normal'. But then that would be me being deceptive, so am alright with how things are.

-M-

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: