Selassie's Denial Of Being The Messiah

<< < (2/2)

Tyehimba:
While i would disagree how persons who are decidely anti Rastafari/antiAfrica represent issues such as rastafari, Africa and Haile Selassie, i believe that people should not dwell in the bondage of blind faith and what is given to you, but do one's own research and operate from one's direct experiences as much as possible.

Respecting someone doesn't entail doing everything that person said or did especially without understanding the context/circumstances involved. Sometimes truth can challenge deeply imbedded notions that exist in the mainstream. Dealing with people's belief is a delicate task, and people's right to belief should be emphasized and advocated. At the same time, people also have a right to information, that would allow them to make the best possible decision. Although i have always respected the role Selassie played, i do not seek to do evverything that he did, and i do not agree with all the things he said. This is especially so in terms of his thoughts of the bible, and his diplomatic opinion of the Pope and the time. Even those that most say that they follow and subscribe to all the words of Selassie won't have the same opinion of the Pope that Selassie did. Selassie said that he considered the pope to be a good man.

Furthermore, because Selassie ate meat, does that mean that i should? NO!!! I won't condemn him for making his choice but i also have my choice to make based upon my experiences.

I think the crux of the issue is about examining ourselves critically and understanding why we do this, why we think like this. Are we just following the crowd, or are our beliefs stemming from our direct experiences.

modified @ 3:38 pm

illskillz:
HIM is a man, no doubt, anyone can see that he says that vry clearly, why would God lie, he might not tell the truth or leave things to interpration but he wouldnt our right lie, I dont dont even know if he can lie. The book say God dont lie. To follow behind this man like that is cultish man, take him for what he is a very wise and honourable black African leader.
He did some fly things though, but why would Jah out his face on something as corrupt as dough, and he is no doubt all up on that ethiopian chese though. feel me. And if he is Jah then now what are you waiting for, why is the world not bun down then. why is his own country in such poor economic state. And yo  the communist can overthough  god but not them daym yankees? I know that Jah was behind him and he was of biblical blood ya and is Jah Jah king ya but  he wasnt  Jah  Jah.

if your god has come why is rasta so lost then, just quetioning, very little organization and schools, many many followers are incarcarated and lock down in us ghettos and emporverished on the islands.  NO the was guided ya as was malcolm but the demons malcolm saught to slay were mightier. The white supremiecy demon is deep boy, only a strong strong hand can slay it, it is deep within the minds and hearts of the people.   We was guided by Jah and royal yea.

Ayinde:
sisMenenI,

You said that our ancestors live within us, well then from that statement I am assuming that God dwelling within us is a concept you understand? Therefore, accepting His Majesty as the Almighty dwelling within each of us is something that should not be fought down when seeing the outcomes of such acceptance.

I do not know who is fighting down beliefs, but for my part Selassie is not my supreme divine self/ancestor/'god', although others are quite in order to claim that. They may certainly be feeling something that I don't, but I am clear on MY divine self.

As has been stated before, Selassie has a place in our history, but no one can impose any one of our ancestors as everyone's supreme divinity. That to me is fundamentalism, very much similar to other so-called religious zealots.

Now I can certainly respect Selassie in the same manner that I have respect for all who contributed to our understanding, and I feel that is in keeping with what he said and pays proper respect to the many others who have contributed.

I know Rastas who do not accept Selassie as anything more than a symbol of Black leadership. Some see HIM as the fulfillment of Christian biblical theology. As such it is up to each person to apply the lessons from our collective wisdom to develop our selves and advance humanity.

To worship or hold someone in high esteem cannot mean the suspension of our brains. It simply means to do our best to emulate the good characteristics of that individual.

However, to worship or honor ourselves calls for more than that. It means we have to develop a broader understanding of our humanity so we can emulate all past and present good characteristics. I use 'emulate' and not 'follow'' as many follow blindly. To emulate means to equal or excel what went before. It cannot mean to repeat clichés and suspend thought and reason.

In Amharic 'Ras' mean 'head', as in leadership, and Tafari, "he who inspires awe".

The meaning of Ras Tafari could be applied to a great number of our African ancestors who have been spoken of with reverence, and had similar titles in their own languages. Many of them did much for the advancement of humanity. Some of us take the position that although 'Rastafari' was fashioned from the Amharic words Ras Tafari, it is just another modern term that can be used to symbolize our collective ancestral wisdom. Because SOME of our ancestral teachings were passed down through Haile Selassie, he too is accepted as part of our ancestral collective who contributed each in their own way to our development.

Of course many want us to credit Haile Selassie with attributes that he did not display. For I, it is far easier and practical to fit him into our ancestral collective, and learn from them all.

illskillz:
son to tell the truth if he is someones God who am I&I to say anything about that. that is you then. really no disrespect sa.
is all good though, but peace and love, but friends I&I  wonder when you people will be serious, I&I havent heard anythng from the dreads in a long time politcally, I&I always thought they was  progressive people and politically aware. the terms used in culture as forward, study and others lead to believe a progresive movement was  on the rise, but it is very hard to the yall motivated. I&I can see that yall read the post and the number are high but the responce is low, and is not a new thing, so I gather that yall isnt into the action thing, just really intelligence that is to moss and hord knowage,  is cool though peace, if that is your role I&I cant really judge but sounds funny to me, would really have my people do it.       illskillz.  skylark to the future. is nice man

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page