AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Cooper urges young men to embrace black women

I think that what is true for black males is true for black females. It is fair to say that young girls and females are far less exposed to the male nude form. Yet, they like black males would go for the red/white guy if he were game. I know in secondary school some students were fantasizing about Prince William from form 1 (10-11 years old). We weren’t seeing nude images then and we probably did not know too much about interpreting them sexually or erotically. I don’t know what is going on in schools now or how different the exposure was of students from my school compared to other children my age at that time. But should black females be exposed to more nude images of black males as well?

I think the erotic aspect is too late in the game (of psychological evolution or digression as may be the case). It also does not give males enough control over their minds. Why is it better, what does it mean? Reprogramming sexual preference is a really limited means of addressing something that deals with the bigger issue of identity.

Black males could still have sex with black females but it may not be that in the end they choose a black female for the long term. I’m recalling that video documentary trailer “Dark Girls” where a dark skinned woman, eyes full of tears said “My experience with black men has been I’m exotic, beautiful they are fascinated by me…behind closed doors but when it came to dating, to coming to the front door, taking me out in public, it doesn’t happen”. In fact isn’t that what happens in reality, the darker girl will make a nice girlfriend but for long term, for pickney, a shade lighter often has the higher premium? Guys also say, they dated a black woman, so they are post racial and they love their race so hands off with the prodding and attacks on their sexual preferences etc.

For sure I agree more African images in media especially print and electronic media is desperately needed. However her suggestion with specific reference to nudes also lends to objectifying black females’ bodies as is already the case for women in general and black women have been dissected physically enough as it is.
And what kind of black female nude images? What black images do we have to offer, what Cooper says is “the blend”? What is currently on offer…the lean fair western Beyonces and Tyras who themselves aren’t so comfortable with their African hair and African hips and thighs? Or should we be happy with the general direction of going black?

I guess maybe in the whole passion of her presentation her idea might have come over more smoothly as a good idea, but it reads a bit limiting from what the article gives here.

Messages In This Thread

Cooper urges young men to embrace black women *LINK*
Re: Cooper urges young men to embrace black women
On Baby Blue Ivy & Alleged Ugliness of Blackness *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com