Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 457 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Mixed Folks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mixed Folks  (Read 13895 times)
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« on: June 19, 2004, 02:39:29 AM »

Check out http://www.mixedfolks.com . You will find only multiracial people there. I read on this site that the actor Vin Diesel denies his African heritage. He probably hates it. Many impressionable young Blacks have been taught by our education system to hate their Black heritage and to hate themselves anyways. In those cases, we see how multiculturalism can destroy a person racial backbone and good sense.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
out_of_Zion

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »

I had no idea that Vin Diesel was part Afrikan...do you know how far back?  It's obvious 3rd or 4th generation I would guess.

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
Ras_Kass

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 10:29:56 PM »

It's odd how almost all of the mixed folks are the result of a black father and white mother as opposed to a black women and a white male atleast in the athlete section...

And about Vin Diesel...I pose one question...lol...Why do you think he keeps his hair short all the time?
out_of_Zion

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 06:24:17 AM »

finally got my lazy rear to navegate to that page - first gen - i would not have guessed.  His dad must have been light skinned black I would think.

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 09:55:07 AM »

Vin was outed by Ebony and Jet magazine a long time ago. His father is Afro-Dominican. I knew he was a "brother" the first time I saw him(I have a special radar when it comes to this). The resonance in his voice, his physical build, and his perposely bald head were dead give aways, not to mention his facial/skeletal bone structure. He RUNS from his African-heritage and avoids answering any questions refering to it at all costs. He refers to him self as multi-racial/ethnic...Constantly stressing that old addage that "it doesn't/shoudln't matter what I am"... I find it interesting that someone who feels it doesn't/shouldn't matter simultaniousely conceals his African heritage and refuses to discuss it(but he never has a problem pointing out his European heritage). This is just another case of an attempt to "pass". He should be ashamed of himself for being ashamed.

Forward to a united Africa!
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »

Thank you Bantu_Kelani, for yet another great post. I had no idea that many public figures were of mixed race. It is sad, indeed that young people find African origins so despicable.

I can understand it, though. At one time, when i was in junior high school (i was about 11-12 at this time) my white friends tried to "help" me look "cool". They gave me (white) makeup to wear that had a much lighter tone than my skin color. Their main focus was to straighten my hair. Several girls brought their curling irons and straightening gels to transform my hair from its natural beauty to tame, european, straight strands. Even my own Afrikkan aunt bought me a straightening iron. Finally, i woke up, and saw the light....why should i be ashamed of my Afrikkan heritage?

Now, i let my LOCKS grow freely, and check the boxes for "African-American" when asked. I try to encourage my "mixed race aka half-bred aka mulatto" bredren and sistren to do the same, and free themselves from the bonds of mental slavery. Even though "black" may be start to be "in" right now, i still find people who tell me that i am lucky, because i can pass for a Hispanic/Latina woman. I still find people who are so quick to deny their Afrikkan heritage!

What can InI do to relieve the shame in the society from being an Afrikkan? i can think of a few things:
1) those who are Afrikkan, don't be afraid to show it! Teach those you are around that being an Afrikkan is nothing to be ashamed of
2) reject the teachings that keep InI in the stereotypes of simple, primitive music makers and potheads. instead, fill surroundings with prositive, uplifiting, strong, and honorable images of Afrikka

any other suggestions?

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Al-Ansar

Roots

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:54 PM »

Its really shame...

I have been reading the posts here and the obsession with race is ridiculous. This obsession with race and ones past gets a person nowhere and just hurts peoples sense of dignity. This whole topic has European racist roots. Really the whole issue of racism the way the world is sees it is depressing. It should  not matter where your from or what color you are, what is you hair type, physical build etc. All this stuff is a test from God.  God made us all different for a reason; that is "that we may come together to know each other" as one nation. Its a shame that racism has come this far where you have futile disscussions and accuse somebody of hiding thier roots whether it be African or European. Any how just that I see all people as equal no matter what ethnicity.

Ansar...
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 10:03:47 AM »

Al-Ansar:
This obsession with race and ones past gets a person nowhere and just hurts peoples sense of dignity.

Doesn't it hurt one's dignity to deny one's heritage, and pretend that one is a member of a traditionally oppressive society?

It should not matter where your from or what color you are, what is you hair type, physical build etc.

Agreed, but isn't it important to love who you are, instead of try to change yourself into something else? And also, it shouldn't matter what color of skin one is, but when opportunities are denied because of skin color, are InI supposed to turn the other cheek, and pretend skin color is not a factor? Or do InI address the racial issue, and confront it?

Its a shame that racism has come this far where you have futile discussions and accuse somebody of hiding their roots whether it be African or European

Are InI "accusing" one of hiding their roots, or acknowledging that people, in this day and age, are still ashamed of their Afrikkan heritage, and refuse to see themselves as a member of this magnificent race?

Any how just that I see all people as equal no matter what ethnicity.

when I first joined this board, I also thought that all people were equal, and it shouldn't matter about superficial things, because InI gotta get together etc....i reasoned with this concept, and found that there are many factors that bar InI from coming together, mainly race.

Here is an article (sent to I by Tracey) that helped the I reason with this issue…
http://www.rastaspeaks.com/Rasta/prejudices.html

bless, and one luv,
legacy

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: