Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 457 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Rasta Need to Burn Discrimination Between Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rasta Need to Burn Discrimination Between Us  (Read 31894 times)
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 11:59:06 AM »

From the article,

"White people in general have a tendency to grab things from any spiritual tradition that feels good to them. Accepting Rasta does not automatically guarantee enlightenment or endarkenment or anything else."

That statement is true, but it doesn't just apply to white people and Rastafari.  People, now more than ever, are assimilating bits and pieces of cultures and religions and molding their own religions out of it all.  Especially popular among Western youths now is Eastern Wisdom.  Ever so ironically, those same Eastern youths (particularly in Korea & the rest of NE Asia) are adopting the Christianity that the Westerners are rejecting.  Still, others combine religions and claim that they are "Buddhist AND Christian."  Which, according to Christian scripture (Eph 4:5, "one faith") is just not possible.

And yet...

There are so many similarities between all the religions, and if a religion promotes LOVE and CAUSES love, then it is accomplishing its purpose of uniting people and promoting righteousness.  

Clearly, almost every religion does this, but at the same time they divide.  It calls to mind what Haile Selassie I said himself "Spirituality is not theology or ideology...it is a way of life..."  Thus if the I is not living his faith, applying it, and loving, his faith is dead (James 4:8).  I think people of any faith would agree with that concept.  

Granted Rasta is a movement more than a religion, so some of these truths apply in different ways, but when love is the medium for conversation and overstanding of reasonings and issues, actual conflict should be avoided.  Even in intense discussions that involve the heart - our seat of motivation - it's important to show respect to all and have a deep respect for their beliefs...

"But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of you a reason for the hope in you, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect."  -1 Pet 3:15

Now, that scripture is from the Greek Scriptures, but even to those that are not followers of the Christ, the principle applies, "mild temper and deep respect."  Respect should never be too much to ask for, but sometimes we forget how to give it and only expect it in return.  That applies to ALL of us.

It is true, people do take pieces from here and there . . . this is the outcome of the information explosion. Too much information though can have a similar effect to no information at all. Bombarded from all sides and all directions, the senses become numb . . .the truth is hidden within the many images and ideas flashed before our eyes and into our minds. This is why the ultimate religion(if you would like to call it) is encapsulated in the saying "KNOW THYSELF" When one is cultivating the inner I ... this involves going deep within oneself and overstanding the thought process and how this is the base for all action that I and I make. Self-control is the best defense against tyranny(physical and psychological).

hailiniemperor

AfricaSpeaks.com

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 01:40:52 AM »

Yo Iyah I did read the article u posted and It had good information. It is Important for all white people to make the change in themselves and study thier heritage especially their African heritage because all though it may hurt some peoples ears, or shall I say eyes, to say we all are from the African Continent. Ever heard the song Womb "...Black woman she brough forth Everyone...". With that study also comes the responsibility to educate others, which is something I could always do more of. But when somebody, anybody says "Ok whiteboy get back in your place" I say "What Place!" Jah gave every Man a mind and we create our "place" in the mind, and the fact is our mind can take us wherever we want to go. Now I may differ from other people, but I got into Rasta because I took a conscious look at it, studied the prophecies, studied the principles and made a conscious decision which has so far been the best decision I ever made, because never have I grown so fast. I didnt trod this path because Im "black on the Inside". U know what I am on the Inside? Michael, thats my name Michael. Thats who I am. So yeah its like when u wanna say something people keep bringing up this White Privilege, Yeah OK thats been established and Myself as well as other White Bredrin must address that. But what hasnt been established is why the f*** are Rastas gonna go say some shit about One Love, and One People, and One God, and One Aim, and One Destiny, When some of us are trying to split it up into 2s, 3s, and 4s or more. Characteristic of the epitome of a hypocritical nature. Thats bullshit, thats the best way to describe it. And Yes it is Racism, and man if ur Prejudice then u Havent Realized that Ur a Rasta yet, cuz every man is a Rasta in the Heart they just dont realize it.
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 05:48:34 AM »

I've been following this thread and since I've been here on the forum I have seen alot of threads like this, yes you do get information and knowledge from everyone here about it and it always causes one to exam him or herself but they are other things also going on such as The Abuse and harassment felt by disbaled doctors and nurses according to a study A man who is a Cannibal and is being trial really what im trying to say in a nutshell is yes you may be a white rasta and ok u got discriminated a bit, but it isn't such a big deal cause u don't get discriminated everyday do you? if you changed your ways and stop being a rasta i don't think people would discriminate you but from a black perspective you haven't felt nothing yet i mean if we stop being a rasta we would still get discriminate cause of our skin, our gender and even so far as the names we have so in all your discrimination will pass over cause it isn't all about you there are other more serious issues going on..
Bless

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
nyamabla

Rastafari

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 09:55:01 AM »

raspek

"but I got into Rasta because I took a conscious look at it, studied the prophecies, studied the principles and made a conscious decision which has so far been the best decision I ever made"

dont yall know this boy ah play with yall. him ah hear two three songs and decided he needed a change. so he studied the principles and made a decision and him still nah know the emperor black and that one people(black) one (blak) love one destiny(africa black people home).hailinemp where u deh. i have neva laughed so hard before.what you live in clinton and you come up suitland parkway and look over at southeast and now you barry farms internet rep. you know dat man didnt eat no backwood. you know i twice in like years decided to go to a hip hop club recently and i neva realized how many white people want to be black and the lengths they go through.

blessed
out_of_Zion

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 01:34:17 PM »

Shocked  LOL, I didn't have the boldness to come right out and say just that.  HA, thanks.  I see whites trying to emulate blacks all over here where I live (outside Orlando, Fl), and it's just so damn pitiful.  It's one thing to enjoy the company of another race and to hang out with them, as I do.  It's another to try to put on a whole fake ass personality that isn't even you, using a voice that's not your real voice, using words you wouldn't use talking to another white person, and thinking you're just as black as they are and that the whole act is passible.  

Some of the best part of hanging with the brothers around here is letting them get their laughs at my whiteness, like one time when I called a girl I saw "gorgeous" instead of "hot, fly" or whatever term they thought I should have used.  lol...but it's all right - all in good humor.  Plus - I can still kick their ass on the court, no lie   Wink  and that'll humble a brother quick.

I think some people just take life too seriously and that's all there is to it.  Sometimes - just BE.

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
Micah-EL-Layl

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »

peace...
some of the greatest Rasta's are hermits...
who really cares if some people are gonna
hate on you...you should never let anything
in the physical world affect you....
the brain and your thoughts is where
you should find your comfort zone....
take me for example...
i have been recognizing Haile Selassie
as the fullfillment of prophecy for years
now....and i could dress up in red gold
and green...shout out selassie eye.....
hang out with dreads...get all the benefits
that come with being in a Rasta clik....
(weed for days, rasta women etc etc)
yet i don't hang out with anybody.....
even when i was living in an area
dominated by Rastas i didn't hang
out with anyone or talk to anyone.....
People will always let you down....
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: