Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 444 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Peace In the congo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Peace In the congo  (Read 37272 times)
jemba

YENGE BANTU

« on: February 16, 2005, 05:27:46 PM »

Since August of 1998, The Democratic Republic of The Congo was invaded by Rwanda and Uganda in serious violation of The United Nations Charter, The Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in contradiction of laws and moral values that rule contemporary civilization.

There was Genocide in The Democratic Republic of The Congo, which resulted in more than Four (4) Million deaths.   Innumerable rapes on women and children are still being perpetrated by invading soldiers, having as a consequence a very high rate of AIDS/HIV contamination, famine, deforestation and desolation
All Nazis and all those which had made a pact with the Nazis during the World War II were brought to justice to answer for their crimes of Genocide and crimes against humanity.  Paul Kagame of Rwanda, Yoweri Museveni of Uganda and their Congolese accomplices should not be an exception to the rule for their crimes of Invasion, War and Genocide in The Democratic Republic of The Congo.

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »

Where is the outrage for the 4 million victims of horror in Congo? The International Community pick the tragedies to condemn, everyone serve their own agenda, with this insensitivity Africa will raise indeed.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »

And what about the horrors that other Black people undergo? Where are the sympathizers to the pain that ALL Africans (at home and abroad) endure?
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 05:25:36 PM »

Give me names of other black nations where blood sucking Imperial Westerners think is a playground for execution of genocides, vicious repression, and injustice for more than 100 years?

All black peoples need justice but to continue to ignore the prevailing HORROR in Congo is no philanthropism or Pan-Africanism... I am speaking in general.  

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 10:28:42 PM »

Indeed the situation in the Congo is appalling and I never indicated otherwise. I am concerned, however, that other Africans around the globe are ignored (by some so –called pan-Africanists) because of the fact that they are not African-born. The degree of torture that the people of the Congo face is, at times, emphasized more than other places (again I am not down-playing the extent of their affliction). Africans in the Diaspora: Haiti, the ghettoes of America, the West Indies, the Aborigines of Australia all face daily injustices meted out by imperialists and capitalists. Africans have served as guinea pigs for sordid ‘scientific’ experiments (example AIDS), have been housed in virtual prisons, have been marginalized in their own countries, and have been forced to endure perpetual material poverty. The 400 plus years of chattel slavery in the Diaspora has also destroyed many Africans psychologically and left most brain-dead, culturally dead and spiritually dead. While I agree that more should be done on the Continent, equal attention should be paid to the Diaspora
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 02:32:04 AM »

Leslie, it has to be seen to what extent the International Community pay any attention to the prevailing slaughter of the Congolese people and continental Africans in general.

The marginalization of Africa has always existed and continues this year in 2005.

This selective approach is the worst off in the black Diaspora and is a great threat for the future generations of continental Africans.  

This is so and this remains…

B.K

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 07:31:50 AM »

If you ask a scientist to describe an Afrikan, there would be no difference to Afrikans in Uganda, Jamaica or any where else in the world. You are not a Nubian because of your location or place of birth. We are Bantu because of our inheritance, melanin kingly hair and big lips with a fat nose. Anything that happens in Afrika will decidedly affect the Bantu population around the world. If their stilling from kongo or Senegal then they are jacking from everyone of us. Any lose of material or life will affect Bantu population.

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 10:01:32 AM »

If you ask a scientist to describe an Afrikan, there would be no difference to Afrikans in Uganda, Jamaica or any where else in the world.

Who said otherwise...? I certainly didn't.

Anything that happens in Afrika will decidedly affect the Bantu population around the world. If their stilling from kongo or Senegal then they are jacking from everyone of us. Any lose of material or life will affect Bantu population.

If it is the case where is the overwhelming black people outcry about the events in Central Africa? As far as I know a self-centered approach remains among the black people of the world.

B.K

leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »

I agree that the global community should be sensitive to what takes place in the Congo as well as the rest of Continental Africa. But if the Pan-African community is really serious, they would try to correct the wrongs in their respective place of residence. A lot of them ignore or pay more attention to problems of Africans on the continent rather than focus on the problems of Africans in their adopted homelands. That to me is absolutely illogical!

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »

A lot of them ignore or pay more attention to problems of Africans on the continent rather than focus on the problems of Africans in their adopted homelands. That to me is absolutely illogical!

Well tell that to the Diaporian Pan-Africanists sister... but as far as I am concerned I am from the African continent. I am Kongolese I have to be concerned about the massacres and terror in my country. It is very unfortunate and increasing so it is getting more and more my attention... I can even tell you it is about to drive me completely insane but I won't bother you with my personal weakness here.

B.K

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 01:49:11 PM »

I agree that the global community should be sensitive to what takes place in the Congo as well as the rest of Continental Africa. But if the Pan-African community is really serious, they would try to correct the wrongs in their respective place of residence. A lot of them ignore or pay more attention to problems of Africans on the continent rather than focus on the problems of Africans in their adopted homelands. That to me is absolutely illogical!

I agree that we as Pan-Africans should and do actively contribute to the betterment of our situation and circumstances in our respective locations in the diaspora. But as Pan-Africans we also ideologically accept that until Africa is free and unified the African personality will continue to be disrespected(oppressed and exploited) globally. So as we work in our respective locations we must always keep the bigger picture, and our homeland in mind.

We shouldn't neglect our homeland for our current locations, nor should we neglect our current locations for our homeland. We should and can strike a balance. But mother Africa must always be primary if we are to ever have strength as a people.

May I ask what Pan-African organizations you have come across that ignore or pay more attention to problems of Africans on the continent, rather than focus on the problems of Africans in their adopted homelands? The reason I ask is because I often see the exact opposite. BUt that may just be my experience in the Snakes, I mean States. It is only natural to be more aware of your immediate surroundings...Combine that with the Western News media Vacuum those in the West(in particular the U.S.) largely live in, and  I see people, including Pan-Africanists in the diaspora, focus on (or be more aware of) issues in their current location in comparrison with Continental African issues(and even other issues in the diaspora). IMO  striking a balance is ideal. Although it can be difficult because of a myriad of factors.

Forward to a united Africa!
leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 10:15:59 PM »

KELANI   No!!! All Pan-Africanists should be aware that attention should be placed on their immediate surroundings…. I made mention of this because many Pan-Africanists from the Continent and the Diaspora believe that focus should be directed to continental Africa. I believe that this is absolute folly and very selfish on the part of  (continental) Pan-Africanists, especially those who are aware of the problems that the so-called diasporians face. Also, African-oriented diasporians need to check themselves and rearrange their priorities because Africans are facing hell on this side too.

OSHUN-AUSET   I have attended several Pan-African seminars (particularly around Emancipation Day celebrations in Trinidad) and they have all iterated that we need to address the plight on the African Continent (and recently, in Haiti). Of course it is imperative that we show concern and extend our help to our brothers and sisters. But, in Trinidad, for example, there are a lot of poor Africans concentrated in the East/West corridor and in other areas that are also in need of that help. How can we overlook the situation in our own territory and rush to help another? I am very suspicious of those who do…. especially those who claim to be pro-African (maybe they’re pro continental Africa and not pro-African)

“But as Pan-Africans we also ideologically accept that until Africa is free and unified the African personality will continue to be disrespected (oppressed and exploited) globally.”

If this (above) is the maxim of Pan-Africanism then it needs some work, because it implies again that focus should be directed at the continent and then miraculously the Diaspora would pull through.

Also, while many Pan-Africanists in the Diaspora may be aware of what happens in their own localities, “they preach education of the masses” (at least in Trinidad) but when it comes to Africa, they always wish to extract money for aid…. see the hypocrisy?
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 11:22:29 PM »

I still agree with sistah Oshun Auset, if Diasporians pride themselves in African heritage, African religion, and believe that the true home and redemption of black peoples is in Africa, then I do believe that the black race would not overcome its issues excluding the concern of the African continent and continental Africans, especially those who live in, or are from, countries that are affected by conflicts and genocides… Let’s talk about the abominable treatment of continental children and women: their rapes, torture, forced labor, and kidnappings. You have to deal with national incidents as well as catastrophic events in Africa... if not don’t call yourself a Pan-Africanist.  

B.K

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »

No sex for Congo peacekeepers, Kofi Annan

afrol News, 9 February

- Following the scandals of sexual exploitation of Congolese girls by UN peacekeepers in the country, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has banned any sexual contacts between the soldiers and locals. Mr Annan is also planning to enhance the investigation of the widespread abuse of women and girls by UN peacekeepers in Congo Kinshasa (DRC).

The UN Secretary-General has written to the Security Council, appealing for more police and French-speaking investigators to strengthen the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo Kinshasa (MONUC), as an expanded investigation into allegations of sexual exploitation and misconduct continues, a UN spokesperson said today.

In the letter to the UN Security Council, Mr Annan also disclosed tightened "no-fraternisation" regulations for MONUC members. This new "no-fraternisation rule" in practical terms means that UN peacekeepers in Congo Kinshasa are instructed not to have sex with Congolese civilians. Normal "no-fraternisation" regulations for UN peacekeepers forbid sex with girls or boys younger than 18 years old and forced prostitution.

Mr Annan is reacting to a sex scandal within MONUC - currently the UN's largest peacekeeping operation - that is by far greater than earlier scandals involving UN peacekeepers and personnel. According to internal UN investigations, MONUC troops have engaged in sexual exploitation of Congolese women and very young girls, with payment ranging from two eggs or US$ 5 per encounter.

The UN's central Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), which is investigating the issue, has so far received allegations of around 150 incidents in Congo, involving more than 50 UN peacekeepers. The cases range from buying sex from girls as young as 12 years to rape and gang rapes. According to Mr Annan, around 20 of these cases had so far been found substantiated.

UN spokeswoman Marie Okabe at a press briefing in New York today said that a multi-disciplinary team of investigators from the DPKO was now in Congo Kinshasa to take necessary steps. In addition to tightening the no-fraternisation rules, the DPKO mission had imposed a curfew for military contingents.

While the sex crimes in Congo were recognised by the UN in an initial report already last month, disciplinary action seemed to have no results. New cases of sexual exploitation of girls and women, in particular in Bunia in north-eastern Congo, have since been reported. These are the background for the tougher actions now implemented by the DPKO.

Mr Annan however made sure not to place collective guilt upon the entire UN mission, now numbering some 13,000 military and civilian staff. The UN Secretary-General had noted it was "important for peacekeepers to know that the members of the UN community stand together in recognising and honouring their tremendous contributions and sacrifices."

Mr Annan ended his letter to the UN Security Council with a reaffirmation of his "personal commitment to remain vigilant on this issue," and with an assurance that the UN would "work tirelessly to restore faith in UN peacekeeping as one of the world's most noble callings," Ms Okabe said.

By staff writer

© afrol News

http://www.afrol.com/articles/15580

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 11:42:48 PM »

Leslie,

Besides, the management of these sites called me to express my continental BaNtu point of views with the worldwide black population here. Now you want me to chastise the plight of continental Africans for the benefice of the world community? This idea is silly of course; if you say black people have to deal with their own countries don’t be mad at me to prioritize Congo and Africa in general. I’m amazed you can act like that.

B.K

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: