Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 446 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Ex-Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm Dead at 80
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ex-Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm Dead at 80  (Read 7561 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: January 04, 2005, 01:34:17 PM »

Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm, D-N.Y., is seen in this 1971 file photo. Chisholm, the first black woman elected to Congress and an outspoken advocate for women and minorities during seven terms in the House, died Saturday, Jan. 1, 2005, a friend said. She was 80. (AP)

MIAMI - Shirley Chisholm, an advocate for minority rights who became the first black woman elected to Congress and later the first black person to seek a major party's nomination for the U.S. presidency, has died. The Rev. Jesse Jackson called her a "woman of great courage."

Chisholm, who took her seat in the U.S. House in 1969, was a riveting speaker who often criticized Congress as being too clubby and unresponsive. An outspoken champion of women and minorities during seven terms in the House, she also was a staunch critic of the Vietnam War.

Details of her death on Saturday were not immediately available. She was 80.

Chisholm ran for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972, a campaign that was viewed as more symbolic than practical. She won 152 delegates before withdrawing from the race.

"I ran for the Presidency, despite hopeless odds, to demonstrate the sheer will and refusal to accept the status quo," Chisholm said in her book "The Good Fight." "The next time a woman runs, or a black, a Jew or anyone from a group that the country is 'not ready' to elect to its highest office, I believe that he or she will be taken seriously from the start."

Chisholm represented New York's Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn and served until retiring in 1983. She also was a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Full Article @ commondreams.org
free

Roots

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 06:42:17 PM »

Ayinde,
I have been trying to do some research on your name but I have not had any success. I would like to know if you can enlighten me on it... Where did it originate from and what does it mean...I have a grandaughter who has that name... I named her that because I worked with a young lady years ago who has the same name...She told me it means beautiful princess (african name)....Is it a unisex name? etc...

I look forward to your reply,
Thanks, Free  
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 07:09:12 AM »

Ayinde - Male - 'ah-yeen-DEH' - Yoruba
meaning - "we gave praises and he came"

The meaning is slightly different depending on who does the translation and I also have the other translations for it. The meaning I gave is one that is easily available on the net and generally a correct one. Nowhere is the meaning what you gave and it was not considered a female name. But sure if females like it they can take it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: