Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 345 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Whites dont know Racism???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Whites dont know Racism???  (Read 23027 times)
Ryan

Roots

« on: June 13, 2004, 08:23:24 PM »

I see many of you saying that whites dont know the hardship of racism? We will never know the hardship of slavery, but racism is what i live in everyday when i go to school. I go to a school of all spanish and black people, only a couple whites. The racist tension is intense, many are my friends, but i have gotten jumped just for being white there. My white friends at oakridge(dif school then mine) get jumped for being white before they even sat down for their first day! They have had makeshift knives held to their throte, and much more for being white. Its the upper class and middle class whites that dont experience it. Instead of classifieng people as white, black, spanish, oriental, etc. It is more of a wealth class that matters. Please realize that i feel the racism problem caused by whites every day. But blacks and toher races also keep it alive.
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:09:48 AM »

Unfortunately this is the outcome of the racial hierarchy that the system was built on. There is a lot of rage amongst the non-white peoples and it can come out in ways like this. I am not making excuses for them, but we are all products of this system.

it should be situations like this that push us white people to really educate ourselves as to the history of race and racism that the system that they live in was built upon. all too often though, it is situations like this that give whites a reason to feel justified in reactionary views towards their non-white adversaries.

i suggest you look through this site a bit and educate yourself as to the racial realities of the system that you live in. there are many good articles to read here:

http://www.rootsie.com/articles/
out_of_Zion

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 07:43:15 AM »

It is important not to miss a part of what Ryan was saying about class separations.  Poorer people are just not treated as well.  This world is sick on its own materialistic ways.  Sound at all like Babylon?    Wink   Perhaps I am being a bit jumpy, because it's always been like this...but the level of hate may just be altogether different.

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:09:11 AM »

It is important not to miss a part of what Ryan was saying about class separations.  Poorer people are just not treated as well.

This is an important point. I wonder of he meant that the upper and middle class white kids don't experience these "jumpings?" If that is the case, then perhaps the poorer white kids are seen as easier targets than the middle and upper class ones - maybe they would get in more trouble if they jumped the richer kids? This does indeed open up a bunch of different dynamics that need to be addressed. With that said though, the race issue does indeed need to be addressed as I stated in my previous post.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »

I see many of you saying that whites dont know the hardship of racism? We will never know the hardship of slavery, but racism is what i live in everyday when i go to school. I go to a school of all spanish and black people, only a couple whites. The racist tension is intense, many are my friends, but i have gotten jumped just for being white there. My white friends at oakridge(dif school then mine) get jumped for being white before they even sat down for their first day! They have had makeshift knives held to their throte, and much more for being white. Its the upper class and middle class whites that dont experience it. Instead of classifieng people as white, black, spanish, oriental, etc. It is more of a wealth class that matters. Please realize that i feel the racism problem caused by whites every day. But blacks and toher races also keep it alive.

You may experience what you would see as 'racism' from individuals in your environment...You are also exploited by being a part of the lower economic class...But you won't know what it is like to experience systematic oppression. Poor whites are exploited systematically. Blacks are exploited and oppressed systematically. There is a difference.

Forward to a united Africa!
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »

Ryan,

Are you still being profiled everywhere you go? NO!

Are the masses of your folks stuck in perpetual cycle of poverty, disease, despair, and death? NO!

Is the media (newspapers, radio, television and internet) used to create a humiliating and violent image of your people? NO!

So, don't compare your petty discrimination in Amerikkka with the beast-like aggression against us Blacks worldwide for 400 years! YOUR childish ignorance is mind numbing. Grow up...read a book...for YOUR OWN SAKE!

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
out_of_Zion

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 02:53:40 PM »

Bantu,

your ton of bricks approach isn't too effective.  By and by you and others began to teach me, but remember, I was very indolent when I first came here and you got very upset with me...So have some patience with him!  I know the typical white mindset angers you, but when you finally take the time to reason with ones such as Ryan (and indeed I when I arrived), it's much more effective than telling him to pick up a booK!   Grin

Nonetheless, much love to you Bantu   Wink  Your intentions are always true & heart felt, even though it may come through as tough love & anger at times...

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 03:51:30 PM »

Bantu,

your ton of bricks approach isn't too effective.  By and by you and others began to teach me, but remember, I was very indolent when I first came here and you got very upset with me...So have some patience with him!  I know the typical white mindset angers you, but when you finally take the time to reason with ones such as Ryan (and indeed I when I arrived), it's much more effective than telling him to pick up a booK!   Grin

Nonetheless, much love to you Bantu   Wink  Your intentions are always true & heart felt, even though it may come through as tough love & anger at times...

My way of instructions worked with you. So, I am not going to waste my time feeding back Eurocentric ignorant attitude, for I honestly believe a person who claim to be "Rasta" should know the number one problem today, which is the system of White Supremacy throughout the world. Only cowards feel threatened.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
nyamabla

Rastafari

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 04:11:44 PM »

Ryan,

Are you still being profiled everywhere you go? NO!

Are the masses of your folks stuck in perpetual cycle of poverty, disease, despair, and death? NO!

Is the media (newspapers, radio, television and internet) used to create a humiliating and violent image of your people? NO!

So, don't compare your petty discrimination in Amerikkka with the beast-like aggression against us Blacks worldwide for 400 years! YOUR childish ignorance is mind numbing. Grow up...read a book...for YOUR OWN SAKE!

B.K

bless up sis. dont stop!

not to co sign but i too would like to hear di yutes answer. cause it seems like alot of you whites really like to put a feel good spin on things and then think this is ras tafari. what you mad.

out of zion - Sound at all like Babylon?
raspek, you call it what you want iya. i&i blacks call it many names but everyone knows it to be the same.

actually sittin here shaking i head i cant seem to understand why ones cant see it. iman nah hail from ja. iman come from america. but guess what. black people world wide know the same story period. now the poor whites. bwoy i tell ya. this has to be the first place where no one is just white and happy. everybody is something else. well at least the yute didnt say he was jumped cause he rasta. you walk in the front door of mall america you white period. i&i walk in black. so guess what no one knows your line of reasoning. no one knows you only hang wit blacks. no one knows you on the internet trying to be checked as perfect jah pickney none of that. the security and store owners and everyone else that can mess up a mans day only check you for being white. blacks rather rasta or devils or whatever get checked at the door for being black first. have you ever had to go somewhere and when you turn on certain roads you know its possible to be stopped just for being black. whole day messed up. you ever been hemmed up at a gathering cause you black. whole night messed up. you ever turned on the news and heard of police killin an innocent black man or woman. now who we gonna turn to. not only do whites not know racism, imho you turn into the biggest racist by even speakin on it unless you talking to the next white man about stopping it. racism is inside and blacks know it like the skin on our back. from birth. i&i dont have to teach it either. you ever ride down a street and know that its a black neighborhood and not one person is outside. black people clean too you know so it cant be i&i just dirty. you ever need a place to live and you know by looking at the ads in the classifieds rather or not you should even apply. yes you probably have and it was probably in the hood. iman could go on for days. lol. but not cause its funny but sad.

iyah360 - i suggest you look through this site a bit and educate yourself as to the racial realities of the system that you live in.

this i believe is the problem iya. you cant get racial realities by purchasing it(internet,books,movies). awareness maybe but not reality only a glimpse. on the street we can tell the ones who listen to the music and emulate their new heroes. babylon ah sell you anything. you want to be chinese towmorrow you can go to borders and buy a chinese identity. imho black people dont need to educate ourself about the racial realities but how to survive the beat down . cause i&i live the realities of race.

one blak luv
ras tafari
preach

Roots

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 05:18:47 PM »

i agree with out of zion. Patience is of the importance when educating someone, especially when that person is willing to learn. Sometimes teaching styles need to be adjusted and egos need to be checked. This site isn't the ultimate in teaching people racial realities it is a forum for discussion and sometimes out of discussion people may or may not learn.

love
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 05:36:25 PM »

I agree with Bantu Kelani and Nyamabla,

Why should Africans have to change "teaching" styles? If she is mad(which we all are or should be) then that is what she feels and is free to express that....This site is called "Africa Speaks" is it not? I personally am a little irritated with the constant post of the theme "us white rastas have it so bad" that seems to be repeated everytime someone new comes on the site. I don't know what others do, but it would only seem logical to READ a site that you are about to post on to see where the people are coming from before posting yourself...This subject matter has been discussed repeatedly, ad infinum, under different threads...it's getting old...I can tell this poster is young...since he said he was in school still...and he has a lot to learn about his approach to African subjects...especially when discussing his experiences of being "picked-on". I guarantee if the Africans on this site(or in general) had to post all our instances of discrimination, violent attacks, or harrassment because of our race....We would need to create another board!

Forward to a united Africa!
out_of_Zion

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 07:02:27 PM »

Well BK said it all when she said "It worked with you."  I'm not saying "look at me, hail the perfect educated and aware white."  But I didn't run for the shadows when she called me out on things that I was flat ignorant on.  I kept banging my head against the tree until I saw a few things around me.

Paz

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 02:04:26 AM »

i agree with out of zion. Patience is of the importance when educating someone, especially when that person is willing to learn. Sometimes teaching styles need to be adjusted and egos need to be checked. This site isn't the ultimate in teaching people racial realities it is a forum for discussion and sometimes out of discussion people may or may not learn.

I don't believe to be imbued with egocentrism but to just respect myself deeply. I am a dignified Black woman who acknowledges reality than live in a state of denial about what the intent of Black loyal lackeys or Whites, Caucasians, crackers, slavers, or Rasta "friends" is towards me. I react to them on the basis of their attitude and whether it is beneficial or detrimental to me or my people. Hitting Europeans with racial discussions, infusing these discussions with FACTS and rational Black anger, has been highly beneficial in many instances on this site. For those who want to understand will. Those who do not won't.

This Black community is a group of websites, which primary discusses things surrounding RACE and topics that are constructive to Black people and humanity as a whole. If anyone wants to gain knowledge of childish issues, one is free to visit other sites. There are thousands of "Black" sites that are owned by Whites for this purpose.

B.K

Dreadnut

Roots

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 09:39:14 PM »

These are harsh words coming from someone who is following the Crowned Prince of Peace.  Selassie didn't speak to others this way so why do you.  Don't claim Selassie I name if you don't walk in HIM footsteps.  HIM was at war with Italy and His people were in danger of Facist attack.  So if you ask me thats a good reason to be angry.  But guess how much of His composure was lost? none.  Prince of Peace my brother.  God of all Creation\\\\\\\\
Ravizza

Nothing more, nothing less, nothing to digress

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 11:41:38 AM »

What I got out of this (being white myself) is that Babylon has no racial preferance. It does play to the white race, but it is uncaring to who it effects. He is trying to show that evil of racism is upon all of us, white, black, yellow, red. We must put an end to it yes, but I don't think he was trying to belittle the African struggle, only to show that Babylon effects all of us, and we must stop it from even deepeing the suffering of Africans, but of all people that it descriminates against.

Thanks for you time
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: