Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 457 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  raise the youth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: raise the youth  (Read 12863 times)
preach

Roots

« on: May 26, 2004, 06:11:10 PM »

Does anyone think that it is possible to raise a female child the same as a male child? I personally think that male and female youth have different encounters as they mature and should be dealt with accordingly.  

love
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:45:30 PM »

I too think they should be raised accordingly to what they experience and mature, a girl can be very delicate to certain sitautions boys are exposed to such as some girls may not like playing basketball, football or any even be interested in such things.But it is possible cause some girls i know who have being raise like that due to the fact turn out a lil "tomboyish" but are as much feminine as they can be.They should both be raise in unity with each other but at their different levels.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
preach

Roots

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:32:12 PM »

thanks for your response poetic princess. I posed this question because to some my stance on this issue was considered chauvinistic. It's almost as if in their quest to bring equality to the sexes they forget that there are differences. Do you think it is possible to be fair or do you think one child will get more attention?

love
sisMenenI

physical distance cannot be a barrier to love.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 11:13:35 PM »

I had done a post on the General Board on a similar topic, I titled it Nature vs Nurture... check the responses:

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/config.pl?read=39608

Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is a simple way of life, pure and original as was given by the most high. Spirituality is a network linking us to the most high, the universe and eachother
Jahse

Roots

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 07:56:29 AM »

Greetings,
    In this day and in this time there is nothing new under the sun. There are defenite differences when it comes to raising a boy or a girl. No, I don't think that one will be valued or get more attention than the other the same love from a mother and father will be the same love. I've met boys who have been raised by women and are around only women for some time. These males, from my observation, have "feminine" ways and are different in alot of aspects from those who were raised around men and women. I do think that you must raise a male/female differently, ofcourse the love and nurturing of the youth will be the same but, the experiences will be different. Male/Females are different and it is a fact. Each will experience different realities in life as they mature as a male or a female. I personally have asked, is it possible for a woman to teach a boy how to be a man, and a man to teach a girl how to be a woman? There must be a balance when raising the youth. A balance between the masculine/feminie powers.
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 08:42:08 AM »

I think that it is possible to be fair and to treat both of them equal, even though in some cases it does happen where one wants get more attention due to the parent's parenting: similar to a case where a mother may have a 9 year old and now have a newborn baby and that child may feel that all the love n attention is going to the newborn baby and may very well rebel and throw fits just to get the attention they need,Honestly I think maybe it is our natural gene make up that causes us to react and reach for attention at young ages when we think we aren't getting it.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Joshua Liontree

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 09:53:40 AM »

Obviously the children are going to have different experiences.  There are different societal expectations for males and females, and that will affect how others interact with the child.  As they move into puberty/teenage years, they will also be treated extremely differently.  

There's the recent case of Marcus Dixon, a black male raised by a white family in Georgia.  He was recently accused of rape by a white girl who he had consensual sex.  (for more details www.helpmarcus.com)  The point is, though, that a white family can not raise a black male without teaching him about the things that come with being black.  The parents raised him "color-blind," and he didn't really think about the racial repercussions that could come from his having sex with a white girl.  

Children need to be taught about the things and conditionalities that inherently come with ther gender.

Joshua Liontree
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: