Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 412 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  What affects our interaction with people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What affects our interaction with people?  (Read 21204 times)
Belle

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »

An individual's history is very important, as it is apart of them and defines who they are. Having said that, let me expand by sharing an experience I had not too long ago that shows why people should not be ignorant of race and colour.

I was reasoning with someone, when I claimed, that when  I interacted with individuals, I did not recognize their race or colour, but rather I interacted with them as another human-being. The person with whom I was reasoning with, made the point, that in the same manner that I was not blind to gender, nor  was I colour blind or race blind. Of course I rejected this argument, because, to me, to admit such, meant I was operating in some racist manner and that I was not interacting unbiasedly. However, I must admit, that the person's argument had creditability as they were able to provide the evidence that was needed to back-up their argument. So, as time went by, I considered their argument and recognized the errors of my ways through research and history.

By interacting with individuals and not recognizing their race & colour, I was dismissing a crucial part of their identity and their history, which can be  and was very offensive to individuals.   As such, through such actions, I was perpetuating the racist structure by "sweeping it under the rug" and not addressing it. By "sweeping it under the rug", I hoped that one if two things occurred;
1) that racial structures did not exist
2) that racial and colour problems along with the other "isms" would solve themselves

Of course racial structures still exist in society's institutions, either covertly or overtly. The latter can only be fixed when people of privilege afforded to them by their their colour and race, make the conscious decision to assist in the battle against the  racist /supremacist structure of society.

Therefore, once people become aware their covert racial tendencies, then they can address it, which is a step forward to better self development, the breaking of these spacious structures, as well as relating better with others. Additionally, I am of the view, that equality can not exist in a society where there is a social hierarchy. As such, equality is just a myth.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: