Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:35:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 446 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  What is wrong with being black?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is wrong with being black?  (Read 12103 times)
preach

Roots

« on: August 05, 2004, 02:36:42 PM »

After reading the poem that Yeefon( I apologize if I have misspelled your name) posted I thought back to a comment that one of my professors made in college. She said that when she grew up it was an accomplishment to simply be called a negro. To her it was a graduation of sorts to rise up from names as demeaning as colored, nigger, coon, etc.. To her negro was beautiful, and she saw no need to be called an African /American. What is wrong with simply being called Black?  

love
Yeefon_Abena_Mawus

Roots

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 03:55:18 PM »

Greetings!

Subjectively, I might respond "nothing is wrong with being black", however, relative to the social constructs in which we are a part I say--Plenty!.  While on the surface the changes which have occurred that have the appearance of being progressive (and in some respects they are), progressing from someone else’s definition of me…when I ALREADY had a definition of identification,   lacks in my praise or approval.  While I might prefer one name over another is moot when responding to the obvious negative connotations of the former.

Have we always been called black as a reference of ethnicity?  On the Continent (which is where we should begin our reference points) to say ones and ones are black is self defeating…why?…because with the exception of few…ALL are black – if you will..therefore it serves no purpose of identification.  

From the perspective of the author of the poem, it appears being black has a negative connotation for many.  Many wallow in self-pity to be considered, listed with, Called Black.  I,  whom have always had a strong identity, although not always cultural, became even stronger when I associated and identified myself with a nation versus a color.  

To be called black serves no purpose of identity but the color ( or absence of color if you will) of your skin.  
Because we range in pigment from pale to blue-black—ANYONE can be called black with proper skin “toning”….Yes?  No…I’d rather be identified, ethnically, with a group, not a color.  The teacher certainly felt that she had progressed, that doesn’t mean, subjectively that she had.  You can be a coon African, a nigger African, or even a negro African, but you’re ALWAYS an African.  Coon, nigger, negro or black has never identified you, nor will it ever…but being African will always define your ethnicity—and that DOESN’T always mean you’ll be black!   Besides, you won’t be hard pressed to still here those and those still call those of the African race, coon, nigger or negro.

Because  a million or more people accept this identification, doesn’t make it right – or Wrong for that matter.  This is NOT the purpose of this response.  We should ever strive toward re-programming our mind, thereby realizing self definition.  If  after the advanced processing of re-programming has taken place, you still feel that Black is what you want to be called….as always…it is your choice to make.

Here are a couple of responses from another thread at another site—these are their opinions about being black  http://www.blackchat.co.uk/theblackforum/forum34/2789.html – thought it was worth sharing.

i regard myself as african NOT BLACK. black is a term white europeans used during slavery to describe the people they were putting in chains as slaves (negro is italian for black). Im african because that is the cradle of civilisation. the peoples of africa are many shades of dark brown to light brown. we've bin blessed with a skin colour that protects us from the harmful effects of the sun. however this is not to say that im sum kind of uncle tom wanna be white person like micheal jackson or chris eubank. politically i will always call myself black as a sign of rebelion to any1 who wants 2 oppress me or my people, if thats what it takes to be united then so be it. by no means am i rascist, i just want to see a change happen
I actually think that the description "Black" as it suggests is just a colour.

Ok, we all know that its the accepted term now used to describe people of African origin but I really feel that seems a bit lazy. Asians aren't rounded-up and called something vague like "light-brown" are they? They orginate from a particular part of the globe and thats Asia.

I personally feel that "African" is a more accurate term whether you're from African or Afro-Caribbean backgrounds because at the end of the day thats the contenant we all originate from, simple as.

Marcus Garvey da man, trust, he addressed all Africans as Africans both home and abroad.

--Peace to all that continue in the fight, no matter how you define yourself.

Ase’

Yeefon Abena Gu Merkaba Mawusi

Yeefon_Abena_Mawus

Roots

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 03:58:37 PM »

TypO
Shocked

You can be CALLED a coon African, you CANNOT BE a coon African

Yeefon
preach

Roots

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 08:12:19 PM »

Beautiful response. I respect my past professor's decision. But I believe we should have the power to define, and not be just accepted  or have to settle. In her heyday they fought for the right to be called negro; I now define myself as Black or Afrikan. The civil rights movement is a fine example of accepting or just settling. The activists from that area were pacified with middle class status and stopped fighting.

love
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 08:48:30 AM »

Alafia and revolutionary greetings everyone,

Yeefon_Abena_Mawus,

I completely agree. I would also add that every people are associated with a landmass. Land is the only means of production and survival.(food clothing shelter, economic growth)  Where is Black-land? Where is Negro-land? There are no such places. Currently the imperialists have control over our means of production, and therfore they control us globally. We will not be liberated until we have control of our land. Until the African is master in his/her own house, the African personality will continue to be oppressed everywhere.

And I know some people will probably argue that Africa is not the origional word for that lasd and that the oldest known word is LKBLN(Alkebulan)...WHich is correct BUT that is getting caught in semantics. Globally most people identify the land as Africa or some variation on that word(Afrique ect.) We can worry about renaiming or giving this land the original name it had once we have control over it to do so. That is a secondaru contradiction, we must focus on the primary one.

Forward to a united Africa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: