Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 446 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  what is the CSME?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what is the CSME?  (Read 7228 times)
transcendental

Roots

« on: February 13, 2005, 02:47:25 PM »

The proposal of the Caribbean Single Market economy is one I think that is very pertinent and will affect the whole Caribbean and its culture. I am no economist but this is what i think based on my own research.
The creation of the CSME is scheduled for this year. Basically it would allow goods, services, people, capital technology to freely circulate in participating Caribbean countries without the usual barriers. The move is necessary to meet the demands, economically and otherwise, of an increasingly globalized environment. Some people see it as a good thing I simply see it as inevitable.
As usual poor people and poorer countries will suffer the most. Countries with less favorable economies or with debt (Jamaica,Guyana, grenada etc.) will find it hardest to adjust. These countries are also unprepared, and largely uneducated about the move, and they missed certain deadlines earlier this year. Authorities claim measures of assistance are being taken.
Barbados however, which has a good economy, is fully prepared. Haiti probably will not join since their relationship with CARICOM is already poor and once more will have to fend for itself.
What is needed is political unity but in the world of economics and politics money rules.  The Bahamas does not want to join claiming that they are already sufficient and they do not need the CSME, the CSME needs them. They say nations do not act out of sentiment but in their best interest. Remember, they are a commonwealth and thrive off of tourism and offshore banking.
The movement of labor is also restricted to certain categories which probably means it will mean more jobs for the more fortunate/educated/wealthy and more competition/less jobs for the poor.
I also feel like this will lead to a trend of a monoculture and an even more touristified Caribbean just like in the globalized “diversified” future America envisions.
I wonder what others think.
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:53:27 AM »

Blessings Transcendental,
I am Barbadian,living in Barbados and I can tell you firstly Barbados seems prepared for the CSME but underneath we are not fully because many of our citizens are afraid of losing their jobs when the CSME flood gates opens, reason being with we have being having a recent increase of guyanese coming to our country since last year to work in most of the carpentry and masonry fields for less money and putting our contractors and carpenters on the bread line.And since our prime minister said bodly facely dont stop them let them come more came and now with CSME to be open before month end many citizens are voicing their openings saying they are afraid that their going to lose their jobs and so forth.
In my eyes it can be good and can also lean towards the bad, The good i see is that all of the younger generations of the caribbean islands can go from island to island to find work and betterment for themselves but the downside is that those who dont want to leave they jobs having to live with the fear that someone from another island with more degrees or qualifications than them are going to come for their job and place thme on the breadline, And honestly many Bajans have been seeing it that way from the older generation to the younger ones.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: