Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 291 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Meditation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Meditation  (Read 16066 times)
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« on: August 10, 2004, 11:01:54 PM »

On this journey I've come across what I believe could be the answer to many ills. That answer is MEDITATION.

I'm embarking on a commitment to meditation practice for the sake of my health and well-being and in search of realization of the present moment where I agree that LIFE is to be found.

What bothers me about meditation is that as far as we know in the West, meditation practice originated in the East, as in Asia. I'd like to think that meditation originated in Africa.

Human development has to begin with consciousness. Consciousness deals with the mind and meditation is the practice of developing the strength of the mind and consciousness. It doesnt seem right that this basic practice that is essential to us as humans would come from Asia. I think meditation has a ROOT quality to it and seems more natural for the practice to have developed in Africa.

African justice - white redemption
Sa_Sutcha

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 05:35:19 AM »

Kebo,

Glad to see that you've discovered the value of meditation.

Firstly, it shouldn't 'bother' you if something originated or was developed outside of Africa.  Being African-centered, it is not simply about putting the tag of Africa on everything of value.  

However though, the fact is that meditation is a practice that commenced in Afrika.  For instance, all over ancient Egypt there are depictions of kings and queens in meditative postures with their palms resting on their laps and eyes closed.  See Imhotep and Rameses images. Other images can be seen with them in yogic postures or submissive ones such as one knee on the ground and the hand across the breastplate.

Caroline Shola Arewa, author of Opening to Spirit and a meditation practitioner from the UK admitted that when she was a student in Asia, she too thought that meditation originated there.  Her instructors told her otherwise, that the practice was rooted in her Afrikan ancestry.

Someone stole your culture but it is you who have to give it back.
House_of_Ra-sta

Roots

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 07:05:31 AM »

Iditation did start in Africa,for ini people in egypt did Kemetian yoga which was more psycho-spiritual than its counterpart in India and the rest(for the first indians were the Eastern ethiopians)as opposed to just healthy up the body.

for beginners,just try to sit there for 30 secs without thinking of anything,Icentrate on your breath(inhale and hold for 20 or more secs then exhale," ").just for references,in Revelations,MOST of it deals with the body,for instance,the 7 seals deals with the seven chakras(the 7 energy centers),just stamp your face where jesus's is in the story,the 144,000 is the nerves in the body,and when u Icentrate on the Pineal gland,which is the third eye located  in the center of the head(u might see hindus with the dot located their),u will Real-eyez and behold mount zion,Jerusalem(really Heru-salem,no j in Habiru or Hebrew)on high.

just to add in,when i Iditate,i like to say a mantra of Raaaasta-Raaaasta-Raaaasta,and this word sound will help ones if they use it wisely....

Enter into this House,sons and dawtas of Ra-sta
your works will be weighed and then InI will go
to Higher Heights!
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 10:41:19 AM »

Thank you both for your replies. Those are in tune with what I'm getting at. Why wouldnt meditation have been discovered in Africa when there was so much knowledge and wisdom being figured out, something as ESSENTIAL as MEDITATION would have been figured out also.

Meditation calms the mind down from the western way of thinking: linear thinking, always being in a rush, looking forward to 'someday' etc. Meditation reveals the wisdom that LIFE is happening IN THE MOMENT. Meditation relieves the mind of anxiety which is one of the enemies to human EXISTENCE and is a danger to the world because the west which has the power also is stricken with ANXIETY.

Meditation also hones the attention skills and tunes the mind in to REALITY, and out of the head. Our first priority as people I think is the challenge of CONSCIOUSNESS CONTROL, control of our mind, thinking, attention, focus, concentration.
If one can build the ability to control their mind they can achieve what they will not to mention be in the mindframe to ENJOY life. So far, meditation is the practice that I've found that focuses on building consciousness control.

Kebo

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:27:39 PM »

Kebo,

You might like this...I have 2 of the books, they are good...

http://www.moltengold.com/cgi-bin/eBzget5A.pl?shop=FaulksBoo84561&trolley=1130877997&page=http://www.faulksbooks.co.uk/egyptian.htm

Forward to a united Africa!
givin_thanx

Roots

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 05:41:14 PM »

Greetings Kebo

I have found that the Buddhist teaching of stilling the mind is essential to meditation. Counting the breath from one to ten, then starting over is a good way to begin practice. To try and focus on the breath tiself, with no other thoughts...you'll find how hard this is the first few times. I have read some Buddhist teachers say that they still use this practice, as it is very hard to actually achieve the result of REALLY stilling the mind. Honestly it just helps me get balanced and focused...maybe some day I will reach the higher goal. You'll find the mind jumping here and there...all over the place. This is called the "monkey mind". Good Luck.

Blessings
Kingston

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 05:50:57 PM »

Kebo...

Long time.

Check any books written by Lama Surya Das.  He writes about many different meditation methods and I have found his words inspiring.

Also check...

Sahaja Yoga as this method has many collectives that meet in every city on a weekly basis.  I'm sure there is one in the apple where you stay.  Fantastic teachings, in person, about the chakras and balance.

Next time...

..Kingston..

..Understanding Truth and My Place in it..
preach

Roots

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:46:35 PM »

Is anyone familiar with mirror gazing as a form of meditation?

love
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:13:59 AM »

Meditation is listening to your (higher) self (www.amonhotep.com)

The highest form of meditation is doing your best. By doing, applying oneself fully to each activity that is engaged, persons quiet their senses, and open themselves to the flow from the universal essence. Messages and guidance from the unconscious mind can then filter down into the conscious mind.

Our earliest ancestors deep in central Africa understood the principle of meditation well. This is what they lived. Their understanding stemmed in part from their observations of natural law and the application of that law in their everyday lives. Meditation was not something they set apart time for. They aimed to meditate in each action and behavior that was undertaken. Clearly they gained a lot of benefits by doing their utmost best in everything they engage. Persons nowadays can also benefit by doing likewise.

Honesty, integrity and moral conduct is something that needs to be constantly worked at, in chipping away the inevitable corruption.

Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 09:48:19 AM »

"By doing applying oneself fully to each activity that is engaged, persons quiet their senses, and open themselves to the flow from the universal essence."

Psychological studies have been done that back this up.  

Flow, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle form/002-1741134-5330446

This book Flow is like a bible. It gives research-based direction on how to get the mind into its optimal mode. It has to do with paying attention, concentrating, being involved in activity and challenging yourself.

Kebo

Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »

If a person wants to be successful and achieve things in life I believe that what they need is the ability to concentrate. The mind is so full of chaos that so much time is wasted in distraction, in negative thinking, in randomness and other unproductive mental habits. And this is because people have not learned to control their minds. To control in the sense of being able to focus at will and have the power of concentration. With these powers of control the mind is going to be more productive. Meditation is the practice and discipline of building up the control over the mind so that the person can focus and concentrate on what they wish and not be subject to chaos and randomness of the uncontrolled mind.

Kebo

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: